follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2019, 12:44 AM   #15
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The same way the MT is faster than the AT. The MT has better gearing. The AT also comes off the line slow but even if you go from a roll the MT is faster due to gearing.

When you are playing Forza there are a lot of variables because you are on a race track as opposed to simply looking at straight line acceleration. On a race track you could have an FD that works well on some corners and not so well on others because of the speeds of the various turns and where your power band is. If all you are changing is the FD then you you have a lot of tradeoffs. This is why fully built race cars don't only make FD adjustments but instead make individual gear changes in addition to FD changes depending on the track.

Even in autox you will have some layouts that work better with pre 2017 gearing, some that work better with post 2017 gearing and some that work best with AT gearing. More often than not it seems pre 2017 gearing works best at autox because 1st ends up being really short and you end up going between 2nd and 3rd a lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Entity View Post
How does the 4.88 gear make it faster?

I'm legitimately curious; I noticed when playing around in Forza that when messing with the gear ratios, the car can me made slower, quicker, have more mid-range power or overall top speed, depending on the specific ratios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
A higher ratio will give you more toque at the wheels which means the car will accelerate faster but it takes more work from the engine. A lower one will give you a higher top speed but it will take longer to get there. They use a lower ratio to get better mileage since the engine isn't working as hard.
@Tcoat and @ermax explained it best. Also its important to note the tradeoff to switching to 4.88s on the auto is minimal: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78098

As they both said on our autos the transmission gear ratios are "longer" for fuel economy reasons. I have a set of weir 4.88s in the box in my basement and all trimmings bought over a year ago, the issue for me is finding a close installer with good reviews sadly.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Spectral Entity (02-14-2019), Tcoat (02-14-2019)