follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2016, 05:37 PM   #29
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I kind of TL;DR'd the thread a bit. People get less shitty with you when you post in the right forum, so that's probably why you didn't get the brunt of it.

I promise this isn't a sales pitch, but for a non-factory boosted DD, and knowing what I know after reading through FI threads for several months, I'd probably just go supercharger. Quite a few less things to worry about. No stressing about potential oil leaks since you're not adding anything into the chain. Not as much of a need for an oil cooler, since again, you're not adding anything into the chain (though your engine will work harder and therefore it will get hotter). Overboosting is just not a thing. It physically can not happen, since for any given RPM and pulley size, your supercharger is blowing at a given pressure. It's also easier to install supercharger kits versus turbo. Especially if you get a positive displacement style, rather than centrifugal.

All this in mind, I'm a big turbo guy. My last two cars were a big turbo STi, and a Golf R, which I still drive. I was pretty hesitant to go SC but I'm more than happy with mine. Feels like I have a big V6 now, actually.

Also, @brzaapi, weird, there's like 3 or 4 of us running a BRZ and an R.

Edit for additional thoughts:
Don't get too stuck on hard numbers. If you're thinking of another car with 350 WHP, think of its weight. Consider the power to weight ratios involved here. These things weigh nothing compared to the average car, and even ~280 is quite a bit. Also keep in mind that once you start getting too far over 300-350 depending on the weather, mood of the factory workers, and day of the week your car was built, things start to get iffy as far as other components.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #30
Filibig

Drives: 2013 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
I kind of TL;DR'd the thread a bit. People get less shitty with you when you post in the right forum, so that's probably why you didn't get the brunt of it.

I promise this isn't a sales pitch, but for a non-factory boosted DD, and knowing what I know after reading through FI threads for several months, I'd probably just go supercharger. Quite a few less things to worry about. No stressing about potential oil leaks since you're not adding anything into the chain. Not as much of a need for an oil cooler, since again, you're not adding anything into the chain (though your engine will work harder and therefore it will get hotter). Overboosting is just not a thing. It physically can not happen, since for any given RPM and pulley size, your supercharger is blowing at a given pressure. It's also easier to install supercharger kits versus turbo. Especially if you get a positive displacement style, rather than centrifugal.

All this in mind, I'm a big turbo guy. My last two cars were a big turbo STi, and a Golf R, which I still drive. I was pretty hesitant to go SC but I'm more than happy with mine. Feels like I have a big V6 now, actually.

Don't get too stuck on hard numbers. If you're thinking of another car with 350 WHP, think of its weight. Consider the power to weight ratios involved here. These things weigh nothing compared to the average car, and even ~280 is quite a bit. Also keep in mind that once you start getting too far over 300-350 depending on the weather, mood of the factory workers, and day of the week your car was built, things start to get iffy as far as other components.
Luftwaffel how do you like the edelbrock? Cause sc wise that was the one I was looking in to. But can't find to much information on it with people who are running it. Been waiting for tj hunt to do a full review on it but he hasn't yet
Filibig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #31
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filibig View Post
Luftwaffel how do you like the edelbrock? Cause sc wise that was the one I was looking in to. But can't find to much information on it with people who are running it. Been waiting for tj hunt to do a full review on it but he hasn't yet
I'd take basically anything he says with a grain of salt anyway. He's got all kinds of sponsors and handouts since he's a Youtuber. He also doesn't seem very technically inclined.

I like the kit a lot. It's well made and comes with everything you need. The supercharger and manifold with runners are all preassembled in the box, MAP sensor already installed to protect it during shipping, which is smart. The water pump is pretty beefy and has a massive heat sink on its underside. The included hoses are bent just right to fit where they should with little to no issue. The Low Temp Radiator is just the right size to fit between your AC condenser and crash beam with only a couple of millimeters of room, so they went as thick as they could. The added bracketry is excellent, OEM quality really, as well as the idler pulley that's added. There's a wiring harness that extends from the water pump to your MAP and MAF sensors, which is also well made and exactly the length you need it to be, without too much extra play to zip-tie off, as well as the extension for your throttle body. Hose clamps are a bastard to install, but that's a good thing, because they clamp with the force of a thousand meathead muscle men. I'll gladly take the frustration of dealing with those things if it means my hoses stay where they're supposed to be. There's even an a provision in the manifold for a boost gauge, where you can remove the plug and install a proper fitting. I have one design complaint, and it's that the intake filter box is stupid as hell. The filter is a K&N that needs a grease seal on the edges, which I hate to begin with, but the main issue is that when you try to seal the filter box together, all it wants to do is force itself apart. You really have to squeeze the shit out of the filter box, and then thread the bolts in, to actually get it to bolt together.

I have about 600 miles on it and it's a lot of fun. I'm still finalizing the tune (it's really about done), but it runs strong and very linear, and like many of us say, it feels kind of like a V6, as you might expect with a positive displacement blower. I can't comment on how the CARB tune runs, if you're looking for an out of the box solution on that, since I had no intention of running it, plus my mods were already past it in the first place. All things considered it's a great kit for a daily, and I think it fills the gap between the Innovate 210 and 335 nicely, giving you room to grow.
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-09-2016), ort895 (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #32
Filibig

Quote:
I'd take basically anything he says with a grain of salt anyway. He's got all kinds of sponsors and handouts since he's a Youtuber. He also doesn't seem very technically inclined.

I like the kit a lot. It's well made and comes with everything you need. The supercharger and manifold with runners are all preassembled in the box, MAP sensor already installed to protect it during shipping, which is smart. The water pump is pretty beefy and has a massive heat sink on its underside. The included hoses are bent just right to fit where they should with little to no issue. The Low Temp Radiator is just the right size to fit between your AC condenser and crash beam with only a couple of millimeters of room, so they went as thick as they could. The added bracketry is excellent, OEM quality really, as well as the idler pulley that's added. There's a wiring harness that extends from the water pump to your MAP and MAF sensors, which is also well made and exactly the length you need it to be, without too much extra play to zip-tie off, as well as the extension for your throttle body. Hose clamps are a bastard to install, but that's a good thing, because they clamp with the force of a thousand meathead muscle men. I'll gladly take the frustration of dealing with those things if it means my hoses stay where they're supposed to be. There's even an a provision in the manifold for a boost gauge, where you can remove the plug and install a proper fitting. I have one design complaint, and it's that the intake filter box is stupid as hell. The filter is a K&N that needs a grease seal on the edges, which I hate to begin with, but the main issue is that when you try to seal the filter box together, all it wants to do is force itself apart. You really have to squeeze the shit out of the filter box, and then thread the bolts in, to actually get it to bolt together.

I have about 600 miles on it and it's a lot of fun. I'm still finalizing the tune (it's really about done), but it runs strong and very linear, and like many of us say, it feels kind of like a V6, as you might expect with a positive displacement blower. I can't comment on how the CARB tune runs, if you're looking for an out of the box solution on that, since I had no intention of running it, plus my mods were already past it in the first place. All things considered it's a great kit for a daily, and I think it fills the gap between the Innovate 210 and 335 nicely, giving you room to grow.
Nice, that's good to know and yeah I'm shit out of luck with the crab to when I changed my exhaust so base map doesn't matter to me anyways. I'm gonna take what ever I get to be tuned at delicious. What header are you running with it? Or is it stock?
Old 04-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #33
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Nice, that's good to know and yeah I'm shit out of luck with the crab to when I changed my exhaust so base map doesn't matter to me anyways. I'm gonna take what ever I get to be tuned at delicious. What header are you running with it? Or is it stock?
Tomei UEL, Tanabe Overripe (would not buy again, shitty welds imo... not convinced changing OP does much anyway, though I'm sure many that can't understand dyno variation will dispute this), Tomei catless titanium front pipe, Perrin 2.5 resonated CBE.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:55 AM   #34
Norville Rogers
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Far too long my friend.... I have so many hours logged here its sad lol!

edit: I was probably in a bad mood that day. There have been a lot of simple dumb questions being asked recently that could have been answered with google.

I know what you mean mind. I'm new to the forum as I've just picked up a BRZ but it did cross my mind on what is the biggest car/bike site chestnut. Running in, oils etc

Perhaps we should have a poll?

Mind you I haven't searched to see if there already has been one
Norville Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Norville Rogers For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 03:41 AM   #35
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:

Interesting, so you're saying an oil cooler with an SC still isn't neccessary? I'm looking into the innovate non inter-cooled and a moto east tune in the future, and that would instantly put the out the door cost at $4800
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 03:56 AM   #36
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Interesting, so you're saying an oil cooler with an SC still isn't neccessary?
No. If you track the car it would be recommended but at no stage is it necessary.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-09-2016), Luftwaffel (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 05:27 AM   #37
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Interesting, so you're saying an oil cooler with an SC still isn't neccessary? I'm looking into the innovate non inter-cooled and a moto east tune in the future, and that would instantly put the out the door cost at $4800
I'd be more worried about IATs than oil with that.

Edit: Unintentionally avoided question. No, I don't feel an oil cooler is entirely necessary unless you're running it hard. My oil temp hovers around 210. Here's an oil temp of 206 after driving for 25 minutes.

That being said, I will be building an oil cooler eventually for autox use.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:28 AM   #38
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,187 Times in 3,474 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Probably takes you longer to type that all out than search frs auto upgrades on google. holy hell.
Is 'holy hell' an oxymoron?
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:33 AM   #39
Filibig

Quote:
I'd be more worried about IATs than oil with that.

Edit: Unintentionally avoided question. No, I don't feel an oil cooler is entirely necessary unless you're running it hard. My oil temp hovers around 210. Here's an oil temp of 206 after driving for 25 minutes.

That being said, I will be building an oil cooler eventually for autox use.
Wow that gps and gauge clusters system is awesome. What did you do? Or the hyper blue come standard like that?
The Following User Says Thank You to Filibig For This Useful Post:
Luftwaffel (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #40
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Wow that gps and gauge clusters system is awesome. What did you do? Or the hyper blue come standard like that?

It looks like he's running android head unit, with the app torque.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Luftwaffel (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 08:36 PM   #41
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Garage
Innovate ECB-1, lots of LED fuckery, and an android head unit with the worst Bluetooth OBD reader for less critical gauges.

Torque sucks and I'm trying to get away from it.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #42
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Innovate ECB-1, lots of LED fuckery, and an android head unit with the worst Bluetooth OBD reader for less critical gauges.

Torque sucks and I'm trying to get away from it.
It does it'd be nice if it had a much better refresh rate, but there's so much delay involved between bluetooth to interpreting the data to displaying it that I think they tried there best lol