follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2019, 12:51 AM   #15
SmoothIsSlow

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
In stock for cheap $$$ where? Tire Rack seems to have more normal prices for them...

While i'm here I'll just restate that as an instructor at the track, I don't think these tires or similar (NT01 etc.) are any problem at all for just about any noobs at the track. I'd rather have my students learn on track-appropriate tires than on OEM tires. That said, Hoosiers I would consider a waste of $$$ but most Extreme Performance and the more "streetable" R Comps I think are a good idea and better to learn on than OEM tires.
Thanks! But better than PS4S from a learning perspective?
SmoothIsSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:47 AM   #16
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothIsSlow View Post
Thanks! But better than PS4S from a learning perspective?
I don't have direct experience with the PS4S, but given the tread pattern I suspect it would generate more heat and not stay at peak performance for as many laps, and also wouldn't provide the same kind of direct feedback from the contact patches as a good Extreme Performance or streetable R-comp tire. That said it's surely "close enough" that anyone casually/occasionally tracking an FT86 that came with PS4S could just use them and not bother with EP or Rcomp tires.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #17
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'm not a track guy, but I've autocrossed quite a bit.

I get not starting on bias ply slicks or something, but I'm not sure I totally buy into the learn on crappy tires theory.

1) It is supposed to be fun.
2) You'll never stop learning. When is it appropriate to run the fun stuff?
3) If you don't pick a decent tire, you'll probably get frustrated pretty quickly. You may even pick up bad habits from trying to throw around a car on really bad tires.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
SmoothIsSlow (06-05-2019), strat61caster (06-05-2019), ZDan (06-05-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #18
pcs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
less grippy tires ARE more fun... lap times aren't the fun part, unless the fun part to you is buying the way to faster lap times. The fun part is being at the limits as much as absolutely possible.

The fallacy in tracking is the thought that if you have a faster time, you did something right. This is only the case if all other conditions are the same. Fun stuff for me is still the cheaper / less grippy, but predictable tires... this is after running through the old PSS, ZII Star Spec, RS3, Z214, V12 Evo, SX2, RE71r, Toyo RR, V710s and RC1s (i think that runs the gamut of what I've run?).

At this point, I get whatever is most cost effective without being a safety concern (not doing 600tw all seasons that are going to chunk all over the place). I'd rather drive than spend more money on tires. Besides, it's more fun passing people, having them come up to you... and then all you have is a stock car with street tires on when they have _______ with _____ WHP and r-comps.

But... if you just need the faster lap time for bragging rights and have the money to burn, go for it!
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pcs For This Useful Post:
bhmax (07-02-2019), Icecreamtruk (06-09-2019), NoHaveMSG (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #19
SmoothIsSlow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs View Post
less grippy tires ARE more fun... lap times aren't the fun part, unless the fun part to you is buying the way to faster lap times. The fun part is being at the limits as much as absolutely possible.

The fallacy in tracking is the thought that if you have a faster time, you did something right. This is only the case if all other conditions are the same. Fun stuff for me is still the cheaper / less grippy, but predictable tires... this is after running through the old PSS, ZII Star Spec, RS3, Z214, V12 Evo, SX2, RE71r, Toyo RR, V710s and RC1s (i think that runs the gamut of what I've run?).

At this point, I get whatever is most cost effective without being a safety concern (not doing 600tw all seasons that are going to chunk all over the place). I'd rather drive than spend more money on tires. Besides, it's more fun passing people, having them come up to you... and then all you have is a stock car with street tires on when they have _______ with _____ WHP and r-comps.

But... if you just need the faster lap time for bragging rights and have the money to burn, go for it!
I like the sound of that. So once I wear out the PS4Ses, should I hop on Indy 500s then?

I do want to get RE71Rs finally for autocrossing though
SmoothIsSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:24 PM   #20
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs View Post
One of the funnest track days I ever had was recently in the rain. Especially the early part of the day were it was not raining hard and the track was just kinda wet, no standing water. Tons of fun
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #21
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothIsSlow View Post
I like the sound of that. So once I wear out the PS4Ses, should I hop on Indy 500s then?

I do want to get RE71Rs finally for autocrossing though
RE71R's are fun, they're just more expensive per smile.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote