follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #99
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Probably just going to end up doing the Sea Sucker. As sketchy as it seems I've only heard good things about it.
Even that has questionable aspects. The sheet metal on the roof is super thin and depending on the bike, road and wind conditions if it starts to wobble there is a fair chance that it will ripple. Will the vacuum cup let go? Will the metal pull back from the windshield or rear window? These are things I've chosen not to find out. I spoke to an engineer at SOA on the phone when I got my car and he was pretty adamant about how bad an idea it would be to use them and Yakima just recently (last week) told me the reason they stopped recommending the Q91A clips on our cars is denting. Apparently there were enough reports of problems for them to pull it. They also don't make the proper pads anymore so you will be left to find the setup used.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:59 PM   #100
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMexican View Post

What about a 'universal' trunk mount bike rack like this? I'd be a little hesitant about the little hooks messing up the paint, but maybe some 3m foam tape?

I am also curious if someone has done a snowboard rack. So far, my snowboard fits fine if I fold the seats down...
The Thule bike carrier I have has rubber coated hooks and they do not mar the paint. I've used it over a dozen times (on my GTI) and the 6 hooks (2-top, 2-side, 2-bottom) on the hatch have not marred the paint/clear coat one bit.

You will get more paint damage from road debris driving to/from your destination than from the hooks.

As far as the foam pads on the top and bottom bars; you can put a microfiber towel around them if you are truly worried and keeping the paint scratch free.

I have clear bra stuff on my rear bumper, but will usually put a microfiber cloth on the pads that touch the paint. Once the carrier is strapped down and all lines are tightened, the carrier does not move.

Check/recheck after about 25 miles, and then check each time you stop. Again, no problems in 15, with the rack or the paint.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #101
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Id be more worried about those hooks bending the trunk over time. Have you had any issues with that??? Also what kind of bike are you putting on there? I transport my DH bike the most, so its about 35lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
The Thule bike carrier I have has rubber coated hooks and they do not mar the paint. I've used it over a dozen times (on my GTI) and the 6 hooks (2-top, 2-side, 2-bottom) on the hatch have not marred the paint/clear coat one bit.

You will get more paint damage from road debris driving to/from your destination than from the hooks.

As far as the foam pads on the top and bottom bars; you can put a microfiber towel around them if you are truly worried and keeping the paint scratch free.

I have clear bra stuff on my rear bumper, but will usually put a microfiber cloth on the pads that touch the paint. Once the carrier is strapped down and all lines are tightened, the carrier does not move.

Check/recheck after about 25 miles, and then check each time you stop. Again, no problems in 15, with the rack or the paint.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:24 PM   #102
Go Frogs

Drives: '19 WRX Base in Lapis Blue
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Id be more worried about those hooks bending the trunk over time. Have you had any issues with that??? Also what kind of bike are you putting on there? I transport my DH bike the most, so its about 35lbs.
I've got a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (Sm Frame) bicycle from the mid 90s that I haul around. It weighs somewhere btwn 25-30lbs. I put it as close to the car as possible to minimize the weight at the end of a lever arm.

The rubber hold down straps do a nice job of securing the bike, which btw, sits at a slight angle due to the top tube/seat post angle.

I had this Thule two bike mount on a Mazda 323 trunk as well for a 1000 mile move and the trunk did fine.

The hooks and straps are for stabilization and are 1-2 inches in width. the majority of the weight is carried by the posts that rest on the bumper and top of the trunk. (On my GTI, the top bar rested on the glass).

I have not experienced any metal deformation at any location the hooks were placed, which usually has a rolled edge or welded seam aiding in the stiffness of the metal.

In this day and age with "customer satisfaction", there shouldn't be any harm in trying the rack, and if you don't like it, return it to the store where is was purchased from...or at least choose a store/retailer that accepts open box returns for piece of mind.

I'm satisfied with my carrier rack and don't have a need to upgrade until a 3rd bike is added to the mix...

Cheers.

Dear SoA, what petition do I need to sign to bring the LeVorg 2.0t 6spd to North America?
Go Frogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #103
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Hmmmm thanks for that. Makes me feel better about purchasing one now.

I actually cram my bikes (only one at a time) into the back with the seats down believe it or not. But for muddy days or if I want to take both my trail bike and DH somewhere, that rack would be awesome to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Frogs View Post
I've got a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo (Sm Frame) bicycle from the mid 90s that I haul around. It weighs somewhere btwn 25-30lbs. I put it as close to the car as possible to minimize the weight at the end of a lever arm.

The rubber hold down straps do a nice job of securing the bike, which btw, sits at a slight angle due to the top tube/seat post angle.

I had this Thule two bike mount on a Mazda 323 trunk as well for a 1000 mile move and the trunk did fine.

The hooks and straps are for stabilization and are 1-2 inches in width. the majority of the weight is carried by the posts that rest on the bumper and top of the trunk. (On my GTI, the top bar rested on the glass).

I have not experienced any metal deformation at any location the hooks were placed, which usually has a rolled edge or welded seam aiding in the stiffness of the metal.

In this day and age with "customer satisfaction", there shouldn't be any harm in trying the rack, and if you don't like it, return it to the store where is was purchased from...or at least choose a store/retailer that accepts open box returns for piece of mind.

I'm satisfied with my carrier rack and don't have a need to upgrade until a 3rd bike is added to the mix...

Cheers.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:58 PM   #104
gravitylover

Don't do a strap rack that the bikes hang from if you care about your car and your bikes. Make the effort and get a hitch and a good rack. It really is worth it. I transport all sorts of bikes all over the northeast and have never had a problem other than the occasional frustrated officer that can't see my license plate. For mt bikes I prefer front wheel holders but the ones with the hook that comes down over the top tube aren't bad other than some paint scratches and most of that can be mitigated with some foam pipe insulation. If you need more info about racks hit me up, I'm a sales rep and sell 4 different brands so I have a pretty fair idea of what I'm talking about.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #105
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
I'm tempted to try aTorklift Stealth but not sure I want that much weight permanently in back affecting the balance. Meanwhile I just put my 29er inside. Apparently they haven't tried one on 2017 or later so they're looking for someone stop by their Kent, WA facility to test and get one for free.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vxQOKSk3w&t=76s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vxQOKSk3w&t=76s[/ame]
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #106
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBlue View Post
I'm tempted to try aTorklift Stealth but not sure I want that much weight permanently in back affecting the balance. Meanwhile I just put my 29er inside. Apparently they haven't tried one on 2017 or later so they're looking for someone stop by their Kent, WA facility to test and get one for free.
Ehh, a little bit of weight back there will actually help the balance, the car is a few pounds light in the rear. Honestly, you won't notice it. I've had a hitch since I got the car and it's a non issue. I usually have a bike rack back there from April through December and barely notice that until there are bikes on it.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #107
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have the curt version of that ecohitch on my 2017...difference being that the curt doesnt have the detachable receiver so youll just see the little square under the triangle of the rear light. It's also under $150.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #108
gravitylover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluma007 View Post
I have the curt version of that ecohitch on my 2017...difference being that the curt doesnt have the detachable receiver so youll just see the little square under the triangle of the rear light. It's also under $150.
I have the Curt also. The only thing that bugs me about it is how low it hangs. I drag it on steep driveways pretty often, it makes a great noise I do wish I had gotten it in the 2" size though but that wasn't available when I got it back in December 2014.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #109
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Dont think I've ever scraped mine on anything, but it could be that the little extra height from the 225/45 tires and stock suspension give me more clearance. I haven't even scraped the from lip splitter either. I keep wanting to buy a rear splitter, cut a piece out and maybe weld that piece to a square tube that will fit the hitch and use it to hide it when not in use. :P However spending 600$ on a maybe project is probably not a good idea.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote