follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #57
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just wanted to say here that this is the best free mod for this car along with the clutch height adjustment. Got used to the free play very fast and don't notice it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aozora.BRZ View Post
After taking the pin out I almost got a hernia trying to remove the spring. Locking Pliers saved my day as it was so easy to remove with them using this process.

It has been a week after removing the spring and adjusting the pedal height and I can't understand why the car did not come like that stock.

I learned MT on this car so I was already adapted to the original setup, but this mod instantly improved all my shifting activities. I can up/downshift so smoothly now. I can take of from stoplights faster as well.

No more guessing where the clutch engages. I just want to drive and drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aozora.BRZ View Post
For the pin lock it didn't matter whether the pedal was depressed or not. That helps when you take out the spring. For the pin I pushed it back from the ends of the U shaped lock with a set of pliers. It comes in and out sideways, so you would be pushing the pin lock towards the front of the car. There are some good pictures on this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84622

After removing the lock i used channellock pliers to push the end of the pin. Once the pin moves back a bit, I used the flat screwdriver and some force to pull it out using the pin head,moving the pedal up and down a little bit. while pushing it out.

For the spring removal, get a set of locking pliers and lock it at the top and bottom of the spring assembly. Once it is locked, press the pedal and the spring assembly will separate from the pedal, allowing you to push it back and take it out. Took a couple attempts as the pliers were not tight enough, but a lot easier than trying to do it manually.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #58
Slysdexia

Drives: '14 Monogram 6MT FR-S - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpaul View Post
OK, so I spent like 20 minutes trying to wedge myself far enough under my dash to do this, but my shoulders are too wide. Pushed the seat all the way back, and can only get one arm in, without the needed leverage to get the c-clip off.

Any suggestions, short of removing the driver's seat? I suppose I could try (much) longer pliers. If I could get my left arm in, this whole thing would be a cinch.
Being 6'6" with monster shoulders, I ended up laying on the ground, door sill in my right armpit, and just generally uncomfortable.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:54 AM   #59
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slysdexia View Post
Being 6'6" with monster shoulders, I ended up laying on the ground, door sill in my right armpit, and just generally uncomfortable.
I thought about doing that, but wanted a box or something to lay on - didn't have anything handy. Also thought about sitting in the seat upside down, but not sure I can wrangle myself in that way...

Doing some work on the car this weekend, so we'll see what I figure out.
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #60
Subscap

Drives: 2015 FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
And I thought I had tall-guy problems at 6'3"... getting up under the dash is never fun, but for this kind of increase in clutch feel -- I can deal with a few cramps.
Subscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #61
Porcupint

Drives: 13 GBS BRZ
Quote:
Shit I'm 5'5" and I did it like that.
Porcupint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #62
keithr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (DGM)
Garage
I had the seats out because I was doing full sound deadening. It was easy to get under there at that point. I did have to go back under a couple times to make small adjustments trying to get the pedal height dialed in, and with the seat in, yeah, it's a hassle. I'm 6' and fairly lean and flexible and I had to contort my shoulders quite a bit.

The good news is that it's only momentary discomfort and the bruises on the back of your shoulder blade only last a few days. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
keithr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 PM   #63
GT86_PRAGUE

Drives: GT86
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Thanks for the detailed instructions ..... although, I'll never do it ..... my old left leg needs all the help it can get .....

humfrz
Look at Mtec clutch spring, I swap it last week and it is similar to the force you need but with much improved feeling.
GT86_PRAGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GT86_PRAGUE For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-19-2015), jcw99 (12-21-2015)
Old 05-22-2015, 12:58 AM   #64
xn7485

Drives: 1995 Acura Integra GS-R
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by housecat View Post
Also, the spring didn't go flying when I tried this which I was afraid of.
Thanks, that really helped. But it flew everywhere..

Tall people.. I ended up sitting in my seat backwards-using bottom as backrest and vice versa. It kinds of worked
xn7485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #65
Tsuin

Drives: 2014 BRZ
So glad i saw this! Gonna try it out this week and see how it feels as I have grown to really hate how the clutch pedal feels after driving my car almost 10k miles now
Tsuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #66
Khyron686

Drives: 2011 Outlander XLS, 2013 FR-S Blue
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I did the clutch height adjustment within days of getting the car. I wish I'd done this as quickly (2 years later). It's stiffer for sure, but it's not like an on-off switch anymore either. In my old 2002 Jetta I could upshift as smooth as an auto but not in this car - we shall see if the skillz return. A quick boot around the block was very promising.
Khyron686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #67
NowImaBeliever

Drives: '21 Crosstrek, '96 SVX
Question

For those of you that removed the spring assembly completely instead of just removing the spring and reassembling, dose the free play at the top of the clutch travel still exist? I did this mod a few days ago, took me about half an hour since I kept coming back to this thread for tips. The free-play at the top of the pedal travel is a bit disconcerting to me, but the pedal no longer has that weird tight-feeling section of travel in the middle that made smooth clutch engagement a tricky proposition. As the OP said, it feels like a normal hydraulic clutch now. I'm holding off for now on adjusting the clutch pedal height...the engagement point is something I'm going to try resolving with muscle memory instead.

Last edited by NowImaBeliever; 05-31-2015 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Derp
NowImaBeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:22 PM   #68
tunami

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6spd Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Nice write up. That e-clip flew to a far far away land behind my dash when i tried to take it off. I had to get another one from the dealer. I did this when installing the MTEC clutch spring.
tunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:33 AM   #69
keithr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (DGM)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowImaBeliever View Post
For those of you that removed the spring assembly completely instead of just removing the spring and reassembling, dose the free play at the top of the clutch travel still exist?

...Yes, it's exactly the same whether the pieces are reassembled without the spring or removed completely. I just took mine out entirely because I couldn't be bothered to reassemble the mechanism that served zero function.
keithr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #70
Sandy

Drives: 2012 86 GT
Has anyone tried this in a RHD car. Not so easy . Sandy Down Under in NZ
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote