follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
Autoenthusiastasm

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Noise when turning

I have read about a whine when turning associated with electric power steering. My car has 41000. I have owned it for 1000 miles and did not have have this problem until now. So when I turn at slow speeds I hear a whining noise from the steering column. I also feel it in my gas pedal. Is this different than the standard problem? Should I be concerned.
Autoenthusiastasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
Brz_racer

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The power steering pump is electric and as such makes some noise. I wouldnt be too concerned about this if your steering is working properly. If It takes excessive effort to turn in either direction you might consider changing the pump.
Brz_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,102 Times in 2,050 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Consider also that we've been getting serious snow/cold up here in the north east. See if it subsides with warmth
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:04 AM   #4
Ultramaroon
chicken tonight

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,603 Times in 18,973 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brz_racer View Post
The power steering pump is electric and as such makes some noise. I wouldnt be too concerned about this if your steering is working properly. If It takes excessive effort to turn in either direction you might consider changing the pump.
It's not a pump. It's a servo motor right on the column under the speedo. It should only ever make a slight whirring sound while the steering wheel is rapidly being rotated. Otherwise it should be dead silent.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #5
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had that last winter and they ended up replacing all sorts of parts from the steering wheel to the entire steering column and servo motor. The noise pretty much stopped after the column replacement. It was very disconcerting to hear it and feel it in the gas pedal and through the floor under my left foot.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It's not a pump. It's a servo motor right on the column under the speedo. It should only ever make a slight whirring sound while the steering wheel is rapidly being rotated. Otherwise it should be dead silent.
This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Consider also that we've been getting serious snow/cold up here in the north east. See if it subsides with warmth
And this ^
Mine does it when it is cold out. When really cold all the grease in the fittings through the steering firms up a bit and the motor has to work a little harder to move it all. It should go away when warm out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I had that last winter and they ended up replacing all sorts of parts from the steering wheel to the entire steering column and servo motor. The noise pretty much stopped after the column replacement. It was very disconcerting to hear it and feel it in the gas pedal and through the floor under my left foot.
And maybe this ^
If it doesn't go away when warmer again then you may have an issue! Pretty rare problem though.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
Autoenthusiastasm

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited - stock
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It’s true that I did not notice it until it got cold out. I hope it’s not the same problem that gravitylover had. Gravity. How much did it cost to fix? Thank you everyone for your feedback
Autoenthusiastasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:14 PM   #8
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoenthusiastasm View Post
It’s true that I did not notice it until it got cold out. I hope it’s not the same problem that gravitylover had. Gravity. How much did it cost to fix? Thank you everyone for your feedback
Other than some gas in the loaner car nothing because it was under warranty. I could pull the paperwork but I want to say it added up to nearly $2k.