follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #1
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
BRZ Radio Touchscreen Calibration

So I'll be totally honest up front: this radio is not installed in a BRZ. It's actually installed in the 2015 WRX that I just purchased to replace my beloved FR-S that was totalled last month. I am posting here because according to my research this radio was shared between the BRZ, WRX, and several other Subaru models, so it's the same part regardless of the car. I also like this forum a lot more and feel like I might actually get some helpful answers here, unlike if had posted on the shit hole known as NASIOC.

Now that that's out of the way, onto the main subject: whoever calibrated the touchscreen for this radio at the factory must've been drunk. On the left side of the screen everything is fine, but as I start to move towards the right my touches get more and more offset to the point that I cannot select anything on the right side of the screen. I tried to "reset" the radio by disconnecting both battery cables and touching them together to fully drain the system, but this had no effect.

I have placed the radio in diagnostics mode and when I use the touchscreen check, touches on the right side of the screen are registered about one inch to the left of where I am actually touching. There does not appear to be an option anywhere (in both normal radio settings or diagnostics mode) for calibrating the touchscreen. I've searched for this issue on Google and came across a couple posts on Reddit, a Crosstrek forum, etc, but the problem is the same: the OP never followed up with what their solution was.

So my main question is this: is anyone aware of a way to recalibrate the touchscreen for the radio found in a 2014 or 2015 BRZ, or am I out of luck and will have to replace the radio?

Thanks,
Jeff
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:11 AM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Well, simple solution is to replace the screen itself.
No amount of calibration can fix a broken screen. Sometimes they just brake or been punched. Who knows.

I have no idea how much a replacement screen goes for but all you need is part numbers from the radio and hopefully your google-fu is strong with you.

If it was me I would just dump any and all oem units and go for any aftermarket unit. For $300 you can have all the bells and whistles with backup camera option, apple car play/android. Etc...
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
Face_Plant (08-20-2019), MachineHead (08-20-2019), timurrrr (08-20-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #3
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Just to conclude this thread in case it pops up in someone's search in the future: the only solution was to replace the radio.
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Well, shit, that was not what I wanted to hear. My right side of the screen on most screens is non-responsive.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Pulled radio and sent it out to Southern Electronics in Richmond, Va. They fix any radio. They replaced the touch screen and warranty the repair (and the rest of the radio) for a year. Since replacing the whole radio was at least $400 +/- for the same type of features, I had it fixed. Cost was $265 and was about a 2 week turnaround. Should be back Thursday. And it's working like a brand new radio.

Last edited by White64Goat; 10-04-2019 at 10:31 AM.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote