follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-25-2018, 02:17 PM   #2745
JoeS

Drives: 2016 BRZ Hyper.Blue
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
Nothing in the OBD port. Tried resetting codes with a reader and they immediately show up again. CEL never goes off.
I looked up the codes online. I would check all the connections to the MAF and MAP sensors (part of the same wire bundle). Look for loose wires, possible shorts, etc... If I had to make a bet, it's right there. Make sure to look way up under the supercharger on the driver's side. If all else fails, call Edelbrock. They have been very helpful to me in the past. Or, your installer....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #2746
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
I looked up the codes online. I would check all the connections to the MAF and MAP sensors (part of the same wire bundle). Look for loose wires, possible shorts, etc... If I had to make a bet, it's right there. Make sure to look way up under the supercharger on the driver's side. If all else fails, call Edelbrock. They have been very helpful to me in the past. Or, your installer....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Just re-connected most of the wiring harness connection points. Didn't seem like there was anything loose. It's been tough to find support since most local shops don't want to touch anything that's non-stock. Then I've got the Delicious box in the mix which replaces one of the wiring harnesses from Edelbrock.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #2747
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Shop is saying the extension harness from Edelbrock is no good and needs to be replaced, and/or the throttle body itself. Edelbrock is sending a replacement harness; we'll see what happens.

Last edited by taiguy; 03-29-2018 at 02:16 PM.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:50 PM   #2748
ThatAsianBradah

Drives: Toyota 86 2017 TRD Modded
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys, I recently installed: JDL header, JDL over pipe, 3.00" supercharger pulley, Deatschwerks 700cc fuel injectors, and was tuned by Zach @ Delicious Tuning.

I hooked up my car to my local shops dyno and to my disbelief, I LOST 20hp all across the powerband. My car was fully tuned with no issues and now it says that I'm at 235whp vs the 257whp that I had before the install.

Can anyone explain why there's a loss of power when everything done was proven by many others to increase power?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2018, 12:18 AM   #2749
PhyrraM

Drives: '17 BRZ PP, old Legacy SSs and SVXs
Same dyno? Same weather?
PhyrraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:55 AM   #2750
ThatAsianBradah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
Same dyno? Same weather?
Same dyno and same weather.. let me post up the dyno sheets.

1st pic is the dyno from last year. The only performance/engine mode I had was the Edelbrock SC kit tuned by Delicious on 92 octane. Literally everything else was stock.

2nd pic is the dyno from today. Got the JDL EL header, JDL overpipe, 3.00" boost pulley, and DW 700cc FI.

Minimal gains is one thing... But for me to apparently LOSE power compared to stock exhaust no FI and CARB pulley upgrade on a Delicious Tune is SILLY.

I want to say that there was something wrong with the dyno. I absolutely feel faster than before.. but I need verification about what's going on.

Also in the 2nd pic, the blue line is a cross reference to the dyno from last year hence the claimed loss of near 20hp in most areas of the power band.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:14 AM   #2751
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
That torque graph is a bit funky. Seems something is up with their dyno.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ThatAsianBradah (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 02:23 AM   #2752
ThatAsianBradah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
That torque graph is a bit funky. Seems something is up with their dyno.
Thank you! That was the 1st thing I pointed out. Also the torque from their reference to my original pull from last year in comparison to how it is now shows different numbers.

I'm starting to think my shops dyno needs calibration.

I'm 100% sure Zach made sure to tune the car as much as possible for optimum power:safety which should be much more than what was reported now.

I'm trying a dynojet in a different shop later, but at the very least I know for various reasons I've improved compared to "Stock Edelbrock" power

Old 03-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #2753
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
Shop is saying the extension harness from Edelbrock is no good and needs to be replaced, and/or the throttle body itself. Edelbrock is sending a replacement harness; we'll see what happens.

Please keep us updated. My car threw a p2135 about 4 times now over 4-6 months. I had the same issue. Limp mode, stopped car, turned off for 5 minutes and then car started no issue but gauge read p2135. Out of the state but taking it to the shop once I’m back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #2754
Proseph

Drives: Supercharged 2016 CBS BRZ
There seems to be a fuel leak from what I can tell after 1 week of having my kit installed. Today when I turned the car on it was shaky at start. At idle the car trebled and both the traction control and check engine lights were on. One more thing to note is that there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust or somewhere beneath the car. The reason I believe it's a fuel leak is because after the problem arose, I tried diagnosing it 20 minutes later (after having the car shut off) and the car would no longer turn on. This leads me to believe it is no longer able to get sufficient gas to turn on. Any ideas of what this can be other than a possible fuel leak? Could this have been caused by something improperly installed with the Edelbrock kit? Please help.
Proseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:56 PM   #2755
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proseph View Post
There seems to be a fuel leak from what I can tell after 1 week of having my kit installed. Today when I turned the car on it was shaky at start. At idle the car trebled and both the traction control and check engine lights were on. One more thing to note is that there was white smoke coming out of the exhaust or somewhere beneath the car. The reason I believe it's a fuel leak is because after the problem arose, I tried diagnosing it 20 minutes later (after having the car shut off) and the car would no longer turn on. This leads me to believe it is no longer able to get sufficient gas to turn on. Any ideas of what this can be other than a possible fuel leak? Could this have been caused by something improperly installed with the Edelbrock kit? Please help.
I would recommend taking it to the shop that installed your kit, especially if youre running the edelbrock supplied tune, which is proven.

A fuel leak would smell like fuel.

tracktion + CEL = limp mode.
Proseph (03-31-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #2756
Proseph

Quote:
I would recommend taking it to the shop that installed your kit, especially if youre running the edelbrock supplied tune, which is proven.

A fuel leak would smell like fuel.

tracktion + CEL = limp mode.
Thanks Mike. I’m scheduled to have it towed to the shop Tuesday. Do you know if it’s normal for the car to go into limo mode if a fuel leak is present? Also, do you know if this happens with these kits commonly? I took it to a very reputable shop so not sure what could have happened if this isn’t an issue with the kit itself. The car is like new in the sense that it’s never been modified, 2016 BRZ.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:35 PM   #2757
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proseph View Post
Thanks Mike. I’m scheduled to have it towed to the shop Tuesday. Do you know if it’s normal for the car to go into limo mode if a fuel leak is present? Also, do you know if this happens with these kits commonly? I took it to a very reputable shop so not sure what could have happened if this isn’t an issue with the kit itself. The car is like new in the sense that it’s never been modified, 2016 BRZ.
It depends on the nature of the fuel leak, so I can't say. You'll be in the best hands getting a diagnosis from them, since they did your work.

Did you smell fuel?
Proseph (04-01-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #2758
Proseph

Quote:
It depends on the nature of the fuel leak, so I can't say. You'll be in the best hands getting a diagnosis from them, since they did your work.

Did you smell fuel?
I did smell fuel