follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 08-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #2437
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So I have a couple questions:

About a month ago I left work and upon starting the vehicle it ran for about 3 seconds and then died. Attempted to turn over again and nothing. I waited about 20 minutes reading through some other posts and tried again. Engine started but it had a very rough idle and no response when I pressed the accelerator. Turned the car off and waited another 30 minutes. This time the car started no issue and everything read normal on my gauges except CODE P2135. The next day in the morning my car battery was completely dead. Went to a shop and found out the battery had a bad core and replaced with a BOSCH. Code hasn't come back and no issues since then. Should I do anything else to follow up with this issue?

Second issue. Prior to the battery issue and still to this day I have had issues, especially when the A/C is on, the car will die coasting from 2nd gear to a stop, or before I can down shift from 2nd to 1st. I did not have this issue until I installed a new ACT clutch with a prolite flywheel. I'm assuming I just need to send in some logs to Delcious to see if that is the issue? I also have terrible idle noise coming from the flywheel/clutch while the A/C is on. Will a tune revision fix these issues? idle at or above 1k rpm is great but once under 900 it sounds like silverware in a dryer.
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #2438
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
Is Edelbrock the only mod you have? Drift office made 286, on 92 Pump.

I do have to agree that it does look a little low, but it would be expected if you were stock everywhere else.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95730

Edit: Forgot to add that drift office was making 286 whp on pump.
The dyno we use routinely makes much less than other dynos, and these are uncorrected numbers in 90+ degree dyno room temps and high humidity. Just how it goes.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (08-03-2017), PR138 (08-03-2017), Silverfox (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #2439
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfox View Post
So I have a couple questions:

About a month ago I left work and upon starting the vehicle it ran for about 3 seconds and then died. Attempted to turn over again and nothing. I waited about 20 minutes reading through some other posts and tried again. Engine started but it had a very rough idle and no response when I pressed the accelerator. Turned the car off and waited another 30 minutes. This time the car started no issue and everything read normal on my gauges except CODE P2135. The next day in the morning my car battery was completely dead. Went to a shop and found out the battery had a bad core and replaced with a BOSCH. Code hasn't come back and no issues since then. Should I do anything else to follow up with this issue?

Second issue. Prior to the battery issue and still to this day I have had issues, especially when the A/C is on, the car will die coasting from 2nd gear to a stop, or before I can down shift from 2nd to 1st. I did not have this issue until I installed a new ACT clutch with a prolite flywheel. I'm assuming I just need to send in some logs to Delcious to see if that is the issue? I also have terrible idle noise coming from the flywheel/clutch while the A/C is on. Will a tune revision fix these issues? idle at or above 1k rpm is great but once under 900 it sounds like silverware in a dryer.
Raise your idle.

Do you have anything aftermarket on the car in terms of electronics? Headlights, tailights, interior lights, foglights, audio, etc.? If you do, remove them.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #2440
Silverfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Raise your idle.

Do you have anything aftermarket on the car in terms of electronics? Headlights, tailights, interior lights, foglights, audio, etc.? If you do, remove them.

Just the P3 Vidi gauge that plugs into the OBDII.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2017, 06:48 PM   #2441
CSG Mike

Quote:

Raise your idle, and get some log and send them over to me and/or @DeliciousTuning
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Silverfox (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 06:50 PM   #2442
paiceyfan

Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Check my posts...the OBDII dongle was draining my battery. Since removing, I have had zero issues for a couple of weeks now. Very similar symptoms to yours. I could not believe that it would have such a major effect on the running of the car, but evidence would say otherwise.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Silverfox (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #2443
Silverfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceyfan View Post
Check my posts...the OBDII dongle was draining my battery. Since removing, I have had zero issues for a couple of weeks now. Very similar symptoms to yours. I could not believe that it would have such a major effect on the running of the car, but evidence would say otherwise.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yeah I just read about your issue earlier. I may just have to plug it in as needed. Going to give it some time with the new battery to see what happens. So far battery and startup has been fine.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #2444
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Question for those of you who run this kit:

Has it altered the handling characteristics of the car at all? I am aware that the kit weighs roughly 80 lb, and recently I saw a video on youtube (his username is Law) where the guy actually took off his edelbrock and decided to go down NA route cause he didn't like what it did to the car. He didn't really elaborate, for whatever reason, so I thought I'd ask you guys. Is there a palpable change in handling characteristics?
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (08-19-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:51 AM   #2445
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post

Has it altered the handling characteristics of the car at all? I am aware that the kit weighs roughly 80 lb, and recently I saw a video on youtube (his username is Law) where the guy actually took off his edelbrock and decided to go down NA route cause he didn't like what it did to the car. He didn't really elaborate, for whatever reason, so I thought I'd ask you guys. Is there a palpable change in handling characteristics?
Going off memory (I no longer have the car) I did not notice any change in handling characteristics after the SC install. I regularly took the car on canyon runs and I've taken the car to several trackdays but I still consider myself a novice, so my skill level is probably not high enough to "feel" the effects. Theoretically, I think even though you are adding weight to the car, the place of the bulk of the weight (the SC itself) is right above the engine and above/slightly behind the axles, so weight balance front/back is probably not affected too much. Granted, the SC does put more weight above the engine, so CG is probably moved up a few inches.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #2446
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post

99.9% of the drivers out there will not notice a difference in handling characteristics. The ones that can will easily be able to make changes to their car to suit their preference.

The kit does not weigh 80 lbs. The box the kit is shipped in is rather bulky, and I can move one around without too much effort. I'm not exactly swole.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
PhyrraM (08-14-2017), Silverfox (08-14-2017), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #2447
-Willis-86touge

Drives: Stock
How much does it way from what I heard it was about 50lbs. And then the stock manifold was around 20 so only nets about 30lbs?? So in a since if you go with a light weight battery and lose 20lbs roughly only a net of 10lbs not much at all. And the battery sits as high as the supercharger so balance is only thrown off left to right. This should even be better because it centers the weight! But I don't know everything. Any correction or thoughts?
-Willis-86touge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -Willis-86touge For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #2448
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My spreadsheet says it adds 62.5 lbs net. I don't have a reference for the number though.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #2449
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Granted, the SC does put more weight above the engine, so CG is probably moved up a few inches.
Even if it's 70 lbs that's <3% of the total weight of the car, I'd be surprised if the c.g. moved more than 0.2" by adding any supercharger in any location.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #2450
-Willis-86touge

Drives: Stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Even if it's 70 lbs that's <3% of the total weight of the car, I'd be surprised if the c.g. moved more than 0.2" by adding any supercharger in any location.
Even if it's 70lbs with a light weight battery it only net 30lbs so like it says it the weight shaving thread loose the water in your washer, lose some weight on your brakes, wheels etc and find the balance
-Willis-86touge is offline   Reply With Quote