follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 05-10-2017, 12:34 AM   #1
retepK

Drives: 2013 Brz Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pulled over for exhaust

Hey guys,
Thought I would share your story and get a little input from you guys.
I was driving down Little River Turnpike in Annandale going the speed limit (maybe 5 over) and I got the dreaded flashing blue lights. I pull into an empty parking lot and the officer pulls up behind me. I roll down my windows and say good evening as politely as you can while being pulled over, and he tells me that I am being pulled over for my exhaust not being stock.

I am running the MXP Comp RS, which in my opinion is not that loud compared to the N1 or other brands out there. Long story short I get off with a warning and he tells me that he recommends reverting to stock in order to avoid this hassle.

I was wondering if you guys had any experience getting pulled over for an exhaust and IF you did get a ticket, do you have to pay it or is there a way to defend yourself?
I did a quick google search, and got a mixed bag of answers, so I am turning to you guys for support.

Ps.
Was planning on getting some UEL headers, but now I feel a bit cautious as I know it will make a lot more noise.
Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
retepK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:19 AM   #2
TreyFour

Drives: 2016 WRB BRZ
Dang thats crazy dude. I was actually thinking of selling my perrin 3in catback for the comp RS. I'd say just play it safe and just stay with your current exhaust right now.
TreyFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
rjgough95

Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ, 02 7.3 F350 Diesel
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retepK View Post
Hey guys,
Thought I would share your story and get a little input from you guys.
I was driving down Little River Turnpike in Annandale going the speed limit (maybe 5 over) and I got the dreaded flashing blue lights. I pull into an empty parking lot and the officer pulls up behind me. I roll down my windows and say good evening as politely as you can while being pulled over, and he tells me that I am being pulled over for my exhaust not being stock.

I am running the MXP Comp RS, which in my opinion is not that loud compared to the N1 or other brands out there. Long story short I get off with a warning and he tells me that he recommends reverting to stock in order to avoid this hassle.

I was wondering if you guys had any experience getting pulled over for an exhaust and IF you did get a ticket, do you have to pay it or is there a way to defend yourself?
I did a quick google search, and got a mixed bag of answers, so I am turning to you guys for support.

Ps.
Was planning on getting some UEL headers, but now I feel a bit cautious as I know it will make a lot more noise.
Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
Got pulled over last summer on my way out past Front Royal on 66 by a state trooper. Was doing the exact speed of 70 MPH and was at the base of a large hill going up.

He started off by asking about my taillights then check my window tent which was legal as well. Told me he could hear my exhaust as im sitting there trying to talk over all the other loud cars going by. Note I was 100% of the time fully reasonable an nice.

I have a Borla UEL header with HKS dual resonator with a Perrin non resonated cat back. He gave me a ticket which I was pretty pissed about.

If I recall it was about 90$. I could have gone to court and fought it and won but it was so far away and also being that just taking a day off work alone would make me end up just losing more money.
2.5" Non-resonated Perrin catback - Hks dual resonator front pipe - Borla UEL headers - K&N drop in - Supertek intake pipe - Megans Racing strut bar - Racer X Fabrication cylinder brace - Valenti tail lights - Veloxs Motorsports front splitter - Galvez Customs rear diffuser - Open Flash Tuner - GCS paddles - Apex ARC8 Track Wheels
rjgough95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM   #4
rns294

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I have a gruppe-s uel, berk catted front pipe, and trd catback. It's loud enough that I've set a few car alarms off in parking garages when I start it. I've never been pulled over with it.

I would for sure be pulled over in other parts of VA because they are more rural and strict. However, I thought we were pretty safe in NoVa because they had actually crime to stop not petty bullshit like exhausts.
rns294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
But how can they issue a ticket without an actual dB measurement?
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #6
pooch

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I'm awaiting the day this happens, I live in Annandale, non-resonated front pipe, N1 exhaust, and I use my little toe to accelerate when I am near cops, lmao. But I was also curious as to the offense itself, from what I heard (may be false) things like tints are a secondary offense but not grounds to be the sole reason for a stop? If this is true, is it true with exhausts?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
But how can they issue a ticket without an actual dB measurement?
Measurements are not required by most jurisdictions in North America. In Ontario there isn't even a requirement to be under any certain dB level. The law just states no louder than stock (in a round about legalese way). Makes it pretty hard to fight a ticket when it is up to the officers subjective opinion if it is "too loud" or not.
StRacngtC06 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
I'm awaiting the day this happens, I live in Annandale, non-resonated front pipe, N1 exhaust, and I use my little toe to accelerate when I am near cops, lmao. But I was also curious as to the offense itself, from what I heard (may be false) things like tints are a secondary offense but not grounds to be the sole reason for a stop? If this is true, is it true with exhausts?
Can't speak to your State/County/Municipal laws specifically but in general all that is required is a "reason to believe" that a law or code has been broken to stop you. Just because it may be a second level offense does not mean they can't stop you for it and it alone.
pooch (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Measurements are not required by most jurisdictions in North America. In Ontario there isn't even a requirement to be under any certain dB level. The law just states no louder than stock (in a round about legalese way). Makes it pretty hard to fight a ticket when it is up to the officers subjective opinion if it is "too loud" or not.
That is retarded! The only instance in Ontario that I personally know of is my buddy getting pulled over for a fart can muffler he got at pacific mall and put on his ancient pontiac grand am (lol). He got a ticket, paid it and kept driving. I would go and fight it, hoping either the officer doesn't bother to show up (although they get double pay as an incentive) or it doesn't hold up that well precisely due to the vague nature of this law/rule whatever it is.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Most cops are nice. I will take a warning anyday. If your state requires stock exhaust, I would slip on some TRD stuff.
thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thomasmryan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
That is retarded! The only instance in Ontario that I personally know of is my buddy getting pulled over for a fart can muffler he got at pacific mall and put on his ancient pontiac grand am (lol). He got a ticket, paid it and kept driving. I would go and fight it, hoping either the officer doesn't bother to show up (although they get double pay as an incentive) or it doesn't hold up that well precisely due to the vague nature of this law/rule whatever it is.
The officer does not have to show up. They haven't had to show up for many years yet this myth still goes on. They can testify through written submission for something as basic as a loud exhaust. The vague nature of the law works in it's favour not against it. You would have to prove that your exhaust was indeed no louder than stock. That would require a document from an expert and could cost you way more than the ticket.
If you have a loud exhaust and are driving around it you are breaking the law there is no two ways about it. You may not agree with the law but that means nothing since it still is the law. There are very few loopholes in Ontario transportation laws. Yes a lawyer may be able to do something but that would cost you more than the ticket. Tickets for illegal mods on cars in Ontario do not impact your insurance nor your points so there is no ramifications beyond the cash to receive one. Consider it a pay to play tax.
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #12
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmryan View Post
Most cops are nice. I will take a warning anyday. If your state requires stock exhaust, I would slip on some TRD stuff.
I carry the TRD brochure with me to show that my TRD exhaust is technically "stock" as it is available as an option from the dealer. So far I have never had to show it since in my mirror I have seen many a cop follow me, reach down to run my plate and then turn away and leave me alone when he get's the results.
Yardjass (05-16-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #13
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasmryan View Post
This. Play it by ear on where you live.

You did well with a warning.

I live in an area where most cops are mod friendly, but the law is not so they have a lot of leeway. If you're being a jerk about it, you're going to get nailed on every item, but they won't care if you have an exhaust or something.

My best advice is to stick with simple, ultra clean looking catbacks to help avoid some of the issue. (Non burned titanium tips, no melon canons, etc.)

I chose the MXP SP since it was a bit more aggressive while having a simpler tip design that looks more like a factory performance part.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #14
VABeachBRZ

Drives: BRZ
I'm running UEL, no cats (at all) and supercharged. Never been yanked. I got complimented by the officer on rt 7. He said it sounded mean lol

For you: I wouldn't worry about it. In va they don't really care.
VABeachBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VABeachBRZ For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-10-2017)