follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgaldi View Post
From what I understand it’s the fuel injectors or somthing making that clicking noise ? And can be fixed by replacing them ? It doesn’t bother me if it’s not a problem tho, I just get a little neurotic whenever I spen a lot of money, even tho I have all the protection plans Subaru offers on the car so if somthing goes seriously wrong I should be covered anyway, I think just about everything is covered except ware parts like breaks clutch and all that
it is the DI system that makes the classic clicking, or cricket chirping, sounds, there is nothing to "fix"...just concentrate on having fun driving, otherwise you will be chasing "weird" sounds forever. Personally I find all the sounds this platform makes to be pretty endearing, makes me feel like I'm driving an actual machine...
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #16
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I bought my 2018 BRZ about a week ago, pretty much brand new only had 40 miles on it,premium model. I’m just posting cause I haven’t driven a stick in about 8 years since I totaled my 95 celica. The more I drive the car the more I notice noises , like when releasing the clutch and shifting gears, I don’t remember hearing the these things in my celica but maybe just forgot the sounds of a manual changing gears..so I’m just winding it it normal to hear stuff when shifting and using the clutch, I’m probably being neurotic but it’s kinda worrying me a bit.

Congrats on getting the best 30 year old car you can buy new today.

It makes noises... just what it is. Since the target for this car was people who value driving engagement over luxury, sound deadening (which also adds weight) was was kept to a minimum. I for one love that I can actually hear my car. Nothing bad going on, just most cars they add a bunch of rubbery parts that will wear out and a bunch of weight adding sounded deadening to isolate you from what's going on.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
joro2 (05-05-2019), Tcoat (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 04:31 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
From what I understand it’s the fuel injectors or somthing making that clicking noise ? And can be fixed by replacing them ? It doesn’t bother me if it’s not a problem tho, I just get a little neurotic whenever I spen a lot of money, even tho I have all the protection plans Subaru offers on the car so if somthing goes seriously wrong I should be covered anyway, I think just about everything is covered except ware parts like breaks clutch and all that
I know it has been mentioned but just a bit more info. The car switch's between direct injection and port injection depending on what is asked for. Each of these systems make slightly different noises. Both are perfectly normal for how they operate. It still freaks me out from time to time and I have no reason not to be used to it by now.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:20 PM   #18
Sgaldi

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium
Yea I’m getting use to the sounds the car makes, and like stated above kinda starting to like them, this car is damn near perfect imo , a little more torque and HP would be nice but I like the way it is
Sgaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #19
Sgaldi

One thing I’m starting to notice is everyone seems to be obsessed with HP and how fast you car can go in a straight line, like that makes your duck big or somthing,I don’t want to drive a straight line I want to whip around turns and actually drive, yes comming out of the turns with more power would be fun but i don’t drive on tracks just roads so the car really is perfect
Old 05-05-2019, 12:44 AM   #20
Sgaldi

So one more question for you guys, I think I mentioned the loud click I hear when shifting gears, I notice it seems to be most prominent when shifting into second and when shifting into second at a higher than 3k RPM not only is the clock sound louder but it’s noticebly harder to get it into second, it’s not hard to by any means just harder than other gears, should I have Subaru look at my transmission ?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #21
joro2

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium MT (DGM)
Quote:
So one more question for you guys, I think I mentioned the loud click I hear when shifting gears, I notice it seems to be most prominent when shifting into second and when shifting into second at a higher than 3k RPM not only is the clock sound louder but it’s noticebly harder to get it into second, it’s not hard to by any means just harder than other gears, should I have Subaru look at my transmission ?
I’ve noticed (and this has been corroborated by others here on the forum) that the transmission, shifter, linkage, etc. gets smoother as you pile on a few more miles.
I’m approaching ~10K miles from new and the transmission continues to get smoother in operation, to the point where most of the minor (e.g. weird mechanical noises, resistance, etc.) “concerns” I had early on are near completely gone.
joro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #22
Sgaldi

Well I hope that’s the case and not that I just got a shotty trans from the factory...what about the high pitched whistle you hear when accelerating ? Iv read a couple people have it just wondering if it will go away overtime too, I don’t think it’s a leak since so many people have it
Old 05-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #23
joro2

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium MT (DGM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
Congrats on getting the best 30 year old car you can buy new today.
This quote really does sum up the experience for me, and one of the reasons I like the 86 platform so much. i.e. I wanted new but also craved a throwback to the 80s/90s Japanese "s**t boxes" (<- I use that phrase lovingly) and that's exactly what was delivered -- with a modern twist and a unique engine/drivetrain layout+.

+Short of a rotary, and despite all the perceived "shortcomings" (complaints about lack of torque, weird noises, etc.) the flat-four FA20 & snickety Aisin gearbox combo deliver on uniqueness; and even after 2 years and ~10K miles still shows me something new (however subtle) and interesting w/ every ride.
joro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #24
Sgaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by joro2 View Post
This quote really does sum up the experience for me, and one of the reasons I like the 86 platform so much. i.e. I wanted new but also craved a throwback to the 80s/90s Japanese "s**t boxes" (<- I use that phrase lovingly) and that's exactly what was delivered -- with a modern twist and a unique engine/drivetrain layout+.

+Short of a rotary, and despite all the perceived "shortcomings" (complaints about lack of torque, weird noises, etc.) the flat-four FA20 & snickety Aisin gearbox combo deliver on uniqueness; and even after 2 years and ~10K miles still shows me something new (however subtle) and interesting w/ every ride.
That is essentially the exact same reason I bought the car, my first car was a 95 celica and would prolly still be driving it today if I didn’t wreck it...however sometimes I think that celica was built way better, no weird noises even at 20yr old and smooth quiet transmission...I like that minamalist style that the BRZ has for sure, I just wish the build quality was a little, better ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sgaldi For This Useful Post:
joro2 (05-05-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 01:35 PM   #25
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Quote:
I have the same noise from day one and I have now 8,000 miles on it. Someone already reported this problem and there was no fix and you may have to deal with it (Dealer says it's normal)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHFXXRkDEcI[/ame]
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #26
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
That is essentially the exact same reason I bought the car, my first car was a 95 celica and would prolly still be driving it today if I didn’t wreck it...however sometimes I think that celica was built way better, no weird noises even at 20yr old and smooth quiet transmission...I like that minamalist style that the BRZ has for sure, I just wish the build quality was a little, better ?
again, it has nothing to do with build quality, the mechanics are different! these concerns come up on S2000 and Miata forums too...your celica used a transaxle, look it up... The transmission was under the hood whereas with a longitudinally mounted engine in a RWD car, like the twins, has the transmission and drive shaft right next to your ass.. The linkage from the shifter to the trans is different, not to mention your Celica was a 5 speed and had no triple cone synchro for 1st/2nd gear like in the S2000/Miata/86..you gotta be patient with 1st/2nd especially when cold. This concern has come up countless times from people moving from FWD platforms to the twins. Like I told you, please use Google to search how many times your concerns have cropped up on this forum so ya don't freak out

so as before, either roll down them windows, get a louder vroom vroom or turn up da music..and if you really can't be satisfied, there is always Civic Si, Focus ST, GTI, etc...
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Feistyfrog (06-01-2019), NCtoBRZ (06-02-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #27
dhuang
Cannonball Record Guy

Drives: Series.Yellow, 4C, Fit
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
again, it has nothing to do with build quality, the mechanics are different!...
This.

My 2009 GE Honda Fit 5-spd has 150k miles, and the cable actuated gearbox is still buttery smooth and "quiet". By design, cable operated shifters have plenty of flexibility, so the shifter is isolated from the movements of the engine and transmission.

Both my 2017 BRZ and 2013 FR-S all have a rod actuated gearbox. The shifter is bolted directly to the transmission, these transmit 100% of transmission movement/vibration to the shift lever. I feel everything and I love it.

VINwiki - Changing Automotive History
dhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhuang For This Useful Post:
Feistyfrog (06-01-2019), HKz (05-07-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 05:13 PM   #28
Sgaldi

Just want to put this out there Incase someone stumbles across this thread...about the noisy or crunchy shifting, mostly into second on mine, it seems to be a timing issue. The more I drive the car and get a feel for it the better my timing is getting and the smoother the shifts, obviously double clutching will smoothen it out but you don’t have to if your timin is right, every gear should slide in smoothly and quietly