follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #15
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
It should add negative camber until the LCA/strut break 90*, right? Sadly, the front struts are basically perpendicular to the ground, not a ton of angle to work with. It's the line from the top pivot to the ball joint, but that's not a huge angle.
That angle between the ball joint and top mount is still 15 degree or so, and it's enough to pull the upright inward just slightly faster with strut compression than the ball joint for the entire bump travel of the suspension.

I remembered that I had plotted a few of the points from the suspension model thread and opened that up and measured some angles. The numbers in that spreadsheet are not right, and I moved things around a bit to what seemed more accurate based on the track width, tire size, sai, and listed roll center height. Not exact but hopefully close and shows how the camber curve should generally look:

0,0 is where the ball joint and inner control arm pivots are level, starting with zero camber at that point. I went up to see where the camber would stop going more negative and it appears to not happen until the ball joint is 4-5" above the inner pivot point. Which is much farther than the suspension can actually move. It might only have 2" from that point.

I think the reason for the difference with the other models is that some of the software treats a strut like double a-arm with an infinitely long upper arm. Maybe. I remember hearing that for some reason but don't remember where. But doing it like that would produce those curves posted earlier as the top mount would be moving straight up and down and the arc of the ball joint would be the only factor for the camber curve.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #16
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I thought you guys might appreciate the data @fika84 and I gathered on the new Whiteline roll center correction kit. It appears it is beneficial even for cars lowered only an inch. Check out the thread here. Specifically, the most recent post (as of today) shows the benefits.
FWIW, I did everything reasonably possible to ensure the only variable between the two tests were the Whiteline kit. I also learned I should run all four tires at the same PSI. I had been running the driver's side front tire 0.5 PSI lower than the rest. But now I'll run them all at 34 PSI. They are GT Radial Champiro SX2s in 225/45-17.
Old 05-24-2023, 11:25 AM   #17
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I thought you guys might appreciate the data @fika84 and I gathered on the new Whiteline roll center correction kit. It appears it is beneficial even for cars lowered only an inch. Check out the thread here. Specifically, the most recent post (as of today) shows the benefits.
FWIW, I did everything reasonably possible to ensure the only variable between the two tests were the Whiteline kit. I also learned I should run all four tires at the same PSI. I had been running the driver's side front tire 0.5 PSI lower than the rest. But now I'll run them all at 34 PSI. They are GT Radial Champiro SX2s in 225/45-17.

Would you be able to dig that data up and post it here?
DocWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:21 PM   #18
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,250 Times in 676 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Unfortunately not, Doc. Sorry, but that forum was shut down.