follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2018, 02:15 AM   #1
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LWCP Kit - Worth Keeping Any of Them?

I have a LWCP kit. I installed 2 of the 3 pieces.

I am going back to stock CP and was wondering if keeping either of the other 2 pulleys is worth it or rather do those one cause any issues/have risks?

I keep reading and hearing that LWCP is not worth it due to benefit:risk and because of harmonic balancing.

Do I need to worry about the other 2, or can I keep that tiny bit of weight reduction and be worry free besides general wear and tear?
Old 01-28-2018, 02:37 AM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
You're a lot smarter than you admit in your sig.

The other pulleys are fine. If you like the bling, leave 'em.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:09 AM   #3
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
I keep reading and hearing that LWCP is not worth it due to benefit:risk and because of harmonic balancing.
With this engine there tends to be two schools of thought:
OMG!! Fitting a lwcp has released 40 gazillion GW and the mass of my car has increased to 48 solar masses because I am reaching relativistic speeds!

and

Don't do it!! You risk annihilating the local space/time continuum and we will all end up drinking dark matter through a worm hole out of each other's asses.

The only hard evidence, done by a tuner on these forums, whose name escapes me and I can't be bothered looking for him because this has been done to death all ready, is that if you run a lwcp AND a lightweight flywheel below a certain mass you will destroy your engine. This rule is only applicable to these engines; other engines have different criteria.

The only benefit to having a lwcp is the bling.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (01-28-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
OMG!! Fitting a lwcp has released 40 gazillion GW and the mass of my car has increased to 48 solar masses because I am reaching relativistic speeds!

and

Don't do it!! You risk annihilating the local space/time continuum and we will all end up drinking dark matter through a worm hole out of each other's asses.

The only hard evidence, done by a tuner on these forums, whose name escapes me and I can't be bothered looking for him because this has been done to death all ready, is that if you run a lwcp AND a lightweight flywheel below a certain mass you will destroy your engine. This rule is only applicable to these engines; other engines have different criteria.

THIS! That is exactly what I keep seeing. I did remove the LWCP, but have left the (idr) other one on. Hopefully that won't wreak havoc on my car.

I feel like the chatter is gone, but I haven't got to drive much because I am still on the base map until tonight (I hope).

@Ultramaroon thank you for the kind words. It's just been the experience being a gamer and a newb, lol. I've had a few subtle cases on here too where I am clearly inexperienced but still catch flak : (. I like something being there to remind those who think about being ...mean (let's go with that, haha) so maybe they won't.

I do need to update it though.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:13 AM   #5
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post

and

That's what I keep reading: either its no big deal and the gains are negligible or it will make my car explode instantly upon installation. If I want to make my car faster I'll save/wish for the funds for a turbo and supporting mods
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
Strife26 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRXRaptor View Post
That's what I keep reading: either its no big deal and the gains are negligible or it will make my car explode instantly upon installation. If I want to make my car faster I'll save/wish for the funds for a turbo and supporting mods
It was one of my, "I'll get this toy until turbo" toys. But a light weight flywheel is such a better option. Night and day difference while a pulley is a noon to one o clock difference lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2018, 01:15 AM   #7
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife26 View Post
It was one of my, "I'll get this toy until turbo" toys. But a light weight flywheel is such a better option. Night and day difference while a pulley is a noon to one o clock difference lol.

With a pulley kit, you can remove around 5lbs. A lightweight flywheel can free up to 20lbs, so yes there is a difference. Overall, these changes work. The physics behind are the transmission gear mechanism and the final drive ratio mechanism which act as levers. In low gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd) the crankshaft is rotating a car with a much smaller weight, so if the other engine parts (pulleys, flywheel) are lighter it helps a lot. A pulley kit provides better gains if you under-drive the peripheral systems (i.e. the alternator and/or the water pump). Personally, I would suggest these modifications if someone builds a track oriented NA car. They are not the best option for a daily driver.

Last edited by nikitopo; 01-30-2018 at 01:28 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:25 AM   #8
Strife26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
With a pulley kit, you can remove around 5lbs. A lightweight flywheel can free up to 20lbs, so yes there is a difference. Overall, these changes work. The physics behind are the transmission gear mechanism and the final drive ratio mechanism which act as levers. In low gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd) the crankshaft is rotating a car with a much smaller weight, so if the other engine parts (pulleys, flywheel) are lighter it helps a lot. A pulley kit provides better gains if you under-drive the peripheral systems (i.e. the alternator and/or the water pump). Personally, I would suggest these modifications if someone builds a track oriented NA car. They are not the best option for a daily driver.
I just installed a turbo and it's my daily. I'm liking it better with stock pulley atm. I feel like the chatter happens far less now, but need to drive more.

The Following User Says Thank You to Strife26 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (01-30-2018)