follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Drives: 13 Hot Lava Frs, 88 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS/BRZ vs 2013 Base Mustang GT

I wanna hear everyones opinion on this...it doesent seem fair to the twins but this is the reality of the market, you can get these for 28k...I felt like this thread needed to be seperate from the other threads i've gotten 3 quotes from 28 to 29k and even 1 for 27 all with the sync pac i think this is trim 301A....
Tbomb 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Boss

Drives: Mustang Boss 302
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The V6 mustang already beats the FRS/BRZ in all performance areas, so it's not much of a contest with a GT.
Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The V6 mustang already beats the FRS/BRZ in all performance areas, so it's not much of a contest with a GT.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
My opinion:

Step 1: Test drive Toybaru
Step 2: Test drive Mustang
Step 3. Make up your own opinion
Step 4: Buy the car you like the most
Step 5: Enjoy it! Do not car about other peoples opinion, you have made up your own opinion based on your own preferences!
RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RaceR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-15-2012), Fly Guy (06-16-2012), kwood9000 (06-15-2012), Snoopyalien24 (06-27-2012), SVTSHC (06-16-2012), ubersoph (06-15-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
My opinion:

Step 1: Test drive Toybaru
Step 2: Test drive Mustang
Step 3. Make up your own opinion
Step 4: Buy the car you like the most
Step 5: Enjoy it! Do not car about other peoples opinion, you have made up your own opinion based on your own preferences!
Very true....no doubt besides the Miata there's nothing on the new car market as precise as the Twins, EPA and insurance should play large roles in a decision to...
Old 06-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
RaceR

Drives: 2010 Cooper S, 74 Beetle
And on the left bench we have... THA BOOOSSS..!! He made a great launch and got to the first corner with this comment. Took everybody by surprise by his quick move there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Then LLLUXMMNN (!!) made his move
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
.. wooww.. that bench is just flying now...

How will this end.. no one knows.. But the tropy. Is this AWESOME!! ..2009 T-shirt..

Sorry, I just had to..

RaceR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceR View Post
And on the left bench we have... THA BOOOSSS..!! He made a great launch and got to the first corner with this comment. Took everybody by surprise by his quick move there..

Then LLLUXMMNN (!!) made his move

.. wooww.. that bench is just flying now...

How will this end.. no one knows.. But the tropy. Is this AWESOME!! ..2009 T-shirt..

Sorry, I just had to..

Lol...funny shit...
Old 06-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
They are just two very different cars that are trying to achieve different goals. I am sure that Ford's top design goal was to make a GT style Mustang that offered as much HP and torque as they could for the cheapest price.

Clearly that was not the top goal of the twins. They wanted to design a light, low to the ground, RWD sports coupe that you could mash the gas on around a turn and not feel like your life could end at any second.

My personal opinion is that you need to drive a bunch of these RWD sports coupes (and probably a few FWD sports cars as well) in the sub $30 range and decide what suits your needs.

I certainly respect the bang for the buck factor for the Stang GT. I think it could easily be argued that it offers the most bang for the buck under $30K in terms of outright performance. But it is not for me. I would prefer to sacrifice some of that horsepower and torque into a car that is more well rounded in terms of handling and feel. I mean when you sit behind the wheel of a Mustang it is a completely different feel. The view of the hood alone is tough for someone like me who is so used to Japanese sports cars. It feels so large...
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #9
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
They are just two very different cars that are trying to achieve different goals. I am sure that Ford's top design goal was to make a GT style Mustang that offered as much HP and torque as they could for the cheapest price.

Clearly that was not the top goal of the twins. They wanted to design a light, low to the ground, RWD sports coupe that you could mash the gas on around a turn and not feel like your life could end at any second.

My personal opinion is that you need to drive a bunch of these RWD sports coupes (and probably a few FWD sports cars as well) in the sub $30 range and decide what suits your needs.

I certainly respect the bang for the buck factor for the Stang GT. I think it could easily be argued that it offers the most bang for the buck under $30K in terms of outright performance. But it is not for me. I would prefer to sacrifice some of that horsepower and torque into a car that is more well rounded in terms of handling and feel. I mean when you sit behind the wheel of a Mustang it is a completely different feel. The view of the hood alone is tough for someone like me who is so used to Japanese sports cars. It feels so large...
The feel behind the wheel didnt have the imediacy of the FRS/BRZ only Miata/S2000/FC in my experiance has. But i was suprised at how much the Stang improved from past generations...2013 has lots of soft materials in the interior as far as quality they are about the same as the FRS/BRZ which is very good in this class.The seats are very good to although you need the recaro's to rival the FRS/BRZ side bolsters...and even the i still think they wont...
Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbomb 25 View Post
The feel behind the wheel didnt have the imediacy of the FRS/BRZ only Miata/S2000/FC in my experiance has. But i was suprised at how much the Stang improved from past generations...2013 has lots of soft materials in the interior as far as quality they are about the same as the FRS/BRZ which is very good in this class.The seats are very good to although you need the recaro's to rival the FRS/BRZ side bolsters...and even the i still think they wont...
I had not driven a Mustang in years and was surprised at how great even the V6 is in the car. It is a worthy of a test drive for sure, but just not my cup of tea. I guess I was not as big of fan of the retro interior as you. I did like the manual quite a bit.

I am very interested in the upcoming new model. I think the retro styling is just tired and some of the renders of the new model look very nice..
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
I had not driven a Mustang in years and was surprised at how great even the V6 is in the car. It is a worthy of a test drive for sure, but just not my cup of tea. I guess I was not as big of fan of the retro interior as you. I did like the manual quite a bit.

I am very interested in the upcoming new model. I think the retro styling is just tired and some of the renders of the new model look very nice..
Well i still like the FRS interior better for its simplicty more than the BRZ and the Stang....i think at the price you can get a GT for you owe it yourself to drive it to 420 on tap with intoxicating V8 sounds is pretty close to great sex with a beautiful woman...lol
Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #12
HotLava

Drives: Hot Lava 2013 FR-S Automatic
GT

I sold my 2005 Mustang GT manual transmission for the FR-S. For the past two years I was looking to switch from a MT car to an AT car. The 2013 'select shift' auto in the Mustangs gets terrible reviews. If you want a MT Mustang then that's fine. But for me the FR-S (short of the Lexus ISF) has one of the best ATs out there.

Keep this in mind, do you really need 420HP and a stick shift to go a 1/2 mile at 9 pm at night to get a half gallon of milk? I know that's a goofy question. But I once counted that it took me over seventy-five shifts to go about eight blocks to Office Depot on a Saturday morning in Los Angeles. At that point I had had enough of a powerful, lurching car. In bumper to bumper traffic I often had to wait until the car in front of me was about a 3/4 of a car length in front of me before enegaing the clutch. If I engaged quicker I'd have to hit the breakes again because a big V-8 just lurches forward (even at idle) and accelerates much faster than most street cars. You'll spend half your time on the brake so as not to rear end the normal cars on the road.
HotLava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HotLava For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-15-2012), Grateful Dave (06-27-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
ubersoph

Drives: 2013 BRZ
The Mustang is AWESOME. I test drove 2 before getting my BRZ. For me it was a matter of knowing how much cheaper it will be to track a lightweight car, the steering precision, and the ability to DD a car that isn't going to get 14 mpg when I drive it. That and the Mustang I want is like 6k more than a BRZ so screw it .

Maybe when the IRS comes out.
ubersoph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ubersoph For This Useful Post:
ImAwesome (07-01-2012)
Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Two very different cars, each with their strengths and weaknesses. I appreciate them both for what they are, and briefly considered trading in my '08 GT on the BRZ I ordered, but I've been a Mustang guy at heart for 20+ years (I've owned four Mustangs, all V8s), and just couldn't bring myself to let my Mustang go, so they'll be stable mates in my garage. As the previous poster alluded to, tires for the BRZ will be much less expensive for R-comps or sticky street tires for track days or autocrossing than on the Mustang.
Miniata is offline   Reply With Quote