follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #1163
Churnobyl

Drives: 2014 Limited Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatabouteggs View Post
...That said, the FA20 clearly was not made for boost.
Except its factory turboed in the '15 WRX. (Albeit at a lower compression ratio)

Otherwise I agree with you.
Churnobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #1164
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
Questions for stage 1 kit. I want simple and am looking to run just the basemap. Since the stock map sensor only reads to ~5 psi and the kit is advertised as 6 what is controlling the boost, just the wastegate spring? Is there any kind of overboost protection in the basemap (and how does that work if the ECU can't see any more than 5 psi?) in case the hose blows off the wastegate or some other kind of catastrophe?

Also, did the people having problems with the exhaust leaks at the turbo and manifold find a solution? I saw a couple pics of failed turbo gaskets and then didn't see any more mention of it. Same thing with the failed manifold gaskets and the manifold flange warping.
I'm also keen to know more about overboost protection, if any? It appears to me that boost control is mechanical (wastegate pressure) and it scares me to think there's no electronic control over it? My previous car had a 3-port electronic boost controller. Is it possible to fit a similar EBC with this kit?

Also, were the issues people had with failed gaskets,and warped flanges related to the early production kits only? Did anyone who installed the Stg1 more recently have similar issues?

The instruction manual doesn't call for checking the torque on the flanges around the turbo, so you'd assume they're torqued correctly at the factory? But if someone were to tighten then up (say pre-install check, or after replacing gaskets) what should the torque values be?
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #1165
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
The instruction manual doesn't call for checking the torque on the flanges around the turbo, so you'd assume they're torqued correctly at the factory? But if someone were to tighten then up (say pre-install check, or after replacing gaskets) what should the torque values be?
This is a great question; @AVOturboworld, any info for us?

(honestly, I'm not exactly sure how one would go about getting a torque wrench to some of those bolts, so that would be another question?..)

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #1166
@Art_Mighty
uosɹǝdʎɐl ʇɹǝdxǝ

Drives: Asphalt AVO FR-S w/a Slushbox! :P
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Radium Catch Cans and AVO

Has anyone tried to install the Radium Catch Can Kit for FR-S/BRZ/GT86 with the AVO setup?

@Astroboy; I think you're running this setup, how do you like it? How often are you draining it out and did you install the petcock drain kit?

...because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn
@Art_Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to @Art_Mighty For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (10-24-2014), CxG (12-06-2016)
Old 10-24-2014, 09:35 AM   #1167
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
.....many questions

1. Of course you can add a EBC or MBC to this kit. Many people have. I have a MBC right now, will be switching to an EBC come spring.

2. Fewer and fewer of these cases are coming up. Most issues with gaskets are falling into the installation error camp (or using the wrong sized gaskets)

3. Always check the tightness of all of the bolts before installing. That is important. For TQ values, message AVO turbo world on here or on facebook.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #1168
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Art_Mighty View Post
Has anyone tried to install the Radium Catch Can Kit for FR-S/BRZ/GT86 with the AVO setup?

@Astroboy; I think you're running this setup, how do you like it? How often are you draining it out and did you install the petcock drain kit?
Yeah! I have these in my car. I haven't checked the oil yet. I was going to check the oil yesterday but I didn't have the time. I'll check it by Sunday for you. Seeing what blow by can do to your engine made me get this.

Just recently I saw a torn down chevy motor with carbon built up all over its valve springs, cams, chambers, etc. That stuff felt like mud. Blow by ain't no joke!

And no I didn't buy the pc kit. I'd get the pc kit for the radium can mounted near the battery though, just to make it easier for you.
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astroboy For This Useful Post:
@Art_Mighty (10-25-2014), CxG (01-12-2018)
Old 10-25-2014, 01:07 AM   #1169
Fizz
Senior Addict

What other bov's will fit this kit? I've got a spare evo8 MR recirculating diverter valve sitting at home. Will that fit?
Old 10-25-2014, 03:47 AM   #1170
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm also keen to know more about overboost protection, if any? It appears to me that boost control is mechanical (wastegate pressure) and it scares me to think there's no electronic control over it? My previous car had a 3-port electronic boost controller. Is it possible to fit a similar EBC with this kit?
I got to experience how my EBC worked a little while back when a hose on the boost control solenoid came off.

The tuner - Bob at the Drift Office - had already enabled the EBC. Basically - whenever I hit the gas hard - the engine would cut out suddenly at full boost. I described this to him and he guessed what was going on. Quick fix.

Anyway - you don 't need to buy anything extra - your tuner should be able to accomplish this with the base map plus tweaks. It might even be built into the basemap for AVO. I think mine was set at 16PSI or something like that.
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #1171
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
I got to experience how my EBC worked a little while back when a hose on the boost control solenoid came off.

The tuner - Bob at the Drift Office - had already enabled the EBC. Basically - whenever I hit the gas hard - the engine would cut out suddenly at full boost. I described this to him and he guessed what was going on. Quick fix.

Anyway - you don 't need to buy anything extra - your tuner should be able to accomplish this with the base map plus tweaks. It might even be built into the basemap for AVO. I think mine was set at 16PSI or something like that.
I think you're confusing an electronic boost controller (EBC) with overboost protection. Standard overboost protection with ECUTEK is a fuel cut and doesn't have anything to do with a boost controller. Or maybe I just misunderstood what you said in your post. Either way, overboost protection is fuel cut, and i would assume that all ECUTEK turbo tunes would have it

Last edited by protpibe; 10-25-2014 at 12:58 PM.
protpibe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to protpibe For This Useful Post:
SkAsphalt (10-25-2014)
Old 10-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #1172
Fizz
Senior Addict

Are you guys using thread sealant on all the oil line fittings? If so, what is the recommended product? I've got Permatex high temp liquid thread sealant (rated 400F). Will that work?

Is it also necessary to remove the factory fitted oil fitting, apply sealant, then refit?

What about the engine to manifold gaskets? Can I use copper sealant on it even if I use the Grimmspeed gaskets? Or would I be doing more harm than good?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #1173
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
Quote:
Are you guys using thread sealant on all the oil line fittings? If so, what is the recommended product? I've got Permatex high temp liquid thread sealant (rated 400F). Will that work?

Is it also necessary to remove the factory fitted oil fitting, apply sealant, then refit?

What about the engine to manifold gaskets? Can I use copper sealant on it even if I use the Grimmspeed gaskets? Or would I be doing more harm than good?
Copper sealant won't do harm, will probably actually be a good idea
Old 10-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #1174
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:

Don't use thread sealant on the AN fittings, but you you can use use high temp sealant on the fitting that screws into the top of the block. I also had to use two crush washers to raise the fitting up a couple off mm to be able to tighten it down enough.

I would suggest against permatex copper on the actual header gaskets. It's a pain in the ass to get off if you ever have to take the header off in the future. Personal opinion of course
CxG (12-06-2016), Fizz (10-25-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 01:26 AM   #1175
Fizz
Senior Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
Don't use thread sealant on the AN fittings
Sorry to sound noob, but may I know why you don't recommend sealant on the oil line fittings? The product description recommends using them on NPT threads
Old 10-26-2014, 05:17 AM   #1176
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Garage
Quote:
Sorry to sound noob, but may I know why you don't recommend sealant on the oil line fittings? The product description recommends using them on NPT threads
you could use teflon tape? I see it in some of AVO's photos of their fittings

Tags
avo, avoturboworld