follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #29
Neilus

Drives: GTS 86 6M
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installed mine last night. I found using a longer extension on the socket was best to tighten up the bolts on the shifter bushing.

You can move around the small shaft a little from the gearbox to help align the bushing as intially it was a little close to the top of the body of the car.
I also held the tail shaft with one hand so as I undid the bolt holding it to the body it didnt drop suddenly and possibly strip the thread.

They are not kidding when they say it is a tight fit to get the new one on but once again I did this on my garage floor with wheel stands etc.
I did invest in a $40 sled to lay on from super cheap. I have never had one before but was gold for this job.

I also bought two small rubber mats for my ramps to go on as my garage floor is painted and were consistantly slipping tring to get the car up the ramps. I knew I would be working on this car alot so I bought extra long ramps as this car is quite low as stock. However the ramps were still not long enough and had to put hard wood sleepers before the ramps to stop the car scraping on the front.

After the install I jumped in the car and moved the gears around to get a feel of what it was like. ...... Well I did think it was still a little cluncky and not really what I had hoped.
But in the morning when I drove it to work and soon as I shifted in second gear I new that this had done the job. In fact it feels completely different.
I think it is excellent compared to stock. Much smoother through the gears, really nice you will like it.

6th gear did seem a bit tighter to me and did have to guide it a little more than before but still smooth just a little stiffer than the rest of the gears.

Hope this helps anyone else deciding to put this in. I think its well worth the effort and excellent mod. Well done Perrin.
Neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neilus For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (01-07-2013), IntotheOcean (04-02-2014), mixtape (05-04-2016)
Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #30
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilus View Post
Installed mine last night. I found using a longer extension on the socket was best to tighten up the bolts on the shifter bushing.

You can move around the small shaft a little from the gearbox to help align the bushing as intially it was a little close to the top of the body of the car.
I also held the tail shaft with one hand so as I undid the bolt holding it to the body it didnt drop suddenly and possibly strip the thread.

They are not kidding when they say it is a tight fit to get the new one on but once again I did this on my garage floor with wheel stands etc.
I did invest in a $40 sled to lay on from super cheap. I have never had one before but was gold for this job.

I also bought two small rubber mats for my ramps to go on as my garage floor is painted and were consistantly slipping tring to get the car up the ramps. I knew I would be working on this car alot so I bought extra long ramps as this car is quite low as stock. However the ramps were still not long enough and had to put hard wood sleepers before the ramps to stop the car scraping on the front.

After the install I jumped in the car and moved the gears around to get a feel of what it was like. ...... Well I did think it was still a little cluncky and not really what I had hoped.
But in the morning when I drove it to work and soon as I shifted in second gear I new that this had done the job. In fact it feels completely different.
I think it is excellent compared to stock. Much smoother through the gears, really nice you will like it.

6th gear did seem a bit tighter to me and did have to guide it a little more than before but still smooth just a little stiffer than the rest of the gears.

Hope this helps anyone else deciding to put this in. I think its well worth the effort and excellent mod. Well done Perrin.
Just bought mine Looking forward to installing it and feeling the difference Going to do the Whiteline parts KDT922 - KDT926 at the same time whilst im under the car.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:44 AM   #31
Neilus

Drives: GTS 86 6M
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
Just bought mine Looking forward to installing it and feeling the difference Going to do the Whiteline parts KDT922 - KDT926 at the same time whilst im under the car.
I really like it. I had a friend complement the car on how good the gear changes felt. Job done.
Neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Neilus For This Useful Post:
DriftEightSix (01-07-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #32
Kwaziekeller

Drives: '13 Argento MT FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Just installed mine earlier along with the Perrin Transmission Support Mount. Definitely less slop in the shifter and improved feel. Just another satisfied customer.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #33
tintumz22

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Toyota 86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
improved feel! Thanks! awesome writeup!
tintumz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #34
funbeatsfast

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another awesome write up. Thanks!
funbeatsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #35
Big-B

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I did the Perrin shifter bushing and trans mount this weekend. I have one suggestion to put in bold in your instructions. PUT VEHICLE INTO NEUTRAL. I struggled for 20 minutes to get the damn bushing on the end of the shifter rod. Then I figured I might be able to move the rod a little more if it's in neutral. Low and behold, the whole drive shaft dropped down about 3 inches. Then I easily just popped the bushing onto the end of the rod.
Another quibble with the trans support instructions, there are 9 bolts to remove not 7 as stated.

Anyways, there is definitely more gear whine but not really any more vibration.
Big-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big-B For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (03-04-2016)
Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #36
emutcfut

Drives: 2013 Argento
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Got this installed last night. Thanks for the DIY.
The shifter does feel a lot more precise and crisp.

However, the notchiness feels very odd now. Whereas before the bushing I would feel one big notch when shifting into gears, but now it feels like 2 small ones. I can pull the shift lever half way into gear and hit a wall then keep pulling to get entirely into gear.

Is this normal?
emutcfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #37
was385

Drives: MT WRB BRZ Limited, 2007 911s
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-B View Post
I did the Perrin shifter bushing and trans mount this weekend. I have one suggestion to put in bold in your instructions. PUT VEHICLE INTO NEUTRAL. I struggled for 20 minutes to get the damn bushing on the end of the shifter rod. Then I figured I might be able to move the rod a little more if it's in neutral. Low and behold, the whole drive shaft dropped down about 3 inches. Then I easily just popped the bushing onto the end of the rod.
Another quibble with the trans support instructions, there are 9 bolts to remove not 7 as stated.

Installing mine right now and I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. Doing the install on jack stands and tried to get the old one off before reading this post, which was an exercise in futility. Found this post, popped it into neutral and it took me about two seconds and almost no effort to get the old one off.
was385 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to was385 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (03-04-2016)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #38
PERRIN_Mladen

Drives: '11 535i
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-B View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by was385 View Post
Installing mine right now and I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. Doing the install on jack stands and tried to get the old one off before reading this post, which was an exercise in futility. Found this post, popped it into neutral and it took me about two seconds and almost no effort to get the old one off.
Both things have been noted and fixed in our instructions! Thank you for bringing both things to our attention!
PERRIN_Mladen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PERRIN_Mladen For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (03-04-2016)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #39
Mr.
Supra Senior Member

Drives: AE86 & BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Hey bro I installed mines today. Took about two hours. Worked on the floor. I gave up on the rotational part. I tried for about an hour and could not get it to turn. So, I just slipped it in in the correct orientation and then re-both everything back in.

Review: I do notice a difference shifting up and down. I feel a bit more confident.
What gave me a problem was bolting it back together. Awkward position.
Mr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #40
yhng

Drives: -
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Did mine yesterday and was a pain to fit the bushing lying on the garage floor with jack stands. Didn't rotate it too and fitted in right side up with considerable pushing.

I notice a mild hum now when driving, with slight improvement in shifting.
yhng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #41
Ryaquinn

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Mods, please add this to directory. Thanks
Ryaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #42
Dvipercop

Drives: Subaru BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Just got done doing this install tonight following this guide. It was a tremendous pain in the ass to install while laying under my car on rhino ramps. Took about an hour and a half, but after the test drive, it was well worth it. Definite improvement in shifting. Smoother, snappier shifts, like it should have been from the factory.
Dvipercop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, perrin, rear shifter bushing