follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 AM   #1
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
How about a National Meet?

So, the Supra guys have this thing called Tx2K, which is a National meet for all Supra owners/enthusiasts. It is usually a few days of events and lots of driving and whatnot. It is jolly good fun and it gets everyone in the community together to share ideas, tastes, and to just have some damn good fun.

We need to have this for the FT86ers. We can meet up somewhere (Maybe Cali? Everyone seems to be from there...) and have events planned out and a nice schedule so we can do all the things that we would do; Like trackdays, photoshoots, dyno runs (?), and flirting with Giccin.

This is kinda a huge project and would probably require some serious planning and dough, so it def. won't happen this year, but maybe in '13 or '14 we could have...

SoCal2k13: FRS/BRZ Nationals!!!

Thoughts, ideas, complaints, randomness? Ensue!
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I thought of this....but i thought it was too early to bring it up. If you ask me... 2014-2015 might be better years to consider vs 2013.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
I like idea. Really great. If this car becomes an instant cult classic I can totally see it happening. I don't think everyone from the East Coast will want to ship/drive their car to SoCal so I could also see it becoming a regional thing. If it gets really big it can earn some sponsorship and official support from Toyota. Then it'll become centralized to one location and everyone will have to fly in. Like how there was a Hachiroku Day in Japan. I can see that happening, too.

On spyderchat.com (Toyota MR-S forum) we had a banner that traveled across the US. People would meet up at major cities to pass the banner and that's when the meets happened but the whole nation was essentially linked through that banner.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #4
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
I thought of this....but i thought it was too early to bring it up. If you ask me... 2014-2015 might be better years to consider vs 2013.
Yeah you're right, but I figured if we plan ahead then it'll be a bit better because we have more time for ideas etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
I like idea. Really great. If this car becomes an instant cult classic I can totally see it happening. I don't think everyone from the East Coast will want to ship/drive their car to SoCal so I could also see it becoming a regional thing.

On spyderchat.com (Toyota MR-S forum) we had a banner that traveled across the US. People would meet up at major cities to pass the banner and that's when the meets happened but the whole nation was essentially linked through that banner.

Hmmm, that's an interesting idea. It's just that I wanted something where we could get everyone together... Maybe we could find a better place by polling or something? But if we can't, then the banner idea is def good.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Well for sure you will have the largest turnout in California (look at the First 86 map on the winners thread).

For SoCal, either LA or OC but I vote OC so that SD people can make it. It should also attract people from Vegas, maybe even Phoenix and I see you're from Texas. Vegas might also be a good option. Or pick a track and make it a track day.

NorCal could also be huge. I think that's where hellaflush was pioneered (my Bay Area friends were doing it in the early 2000's before it turned mainstream). So we'd have to see a significant number of FR-Ss doing the whole stance thing to add to the turnout. Or, again, pick a track for a track day.

In all cases, I can only see this becoming huge after there's been a boom in aftermarket support. Because that's what makes meets/shows worth attending. Otherwise, we have to start small with local meets or track days to get some grassroots momentum going.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Well for sure you will have the largest turnout in California (look at the First 86 map on the winners thread).

For SoCal, either LA or OC but I vote OC so that SD people can make it. It should also attract people from Vegas, maybe even Phoenix and I see you're from Texas. Vegas might also be a good option. Or pick a track and make it a track day.

NorCal could also be huge. I think that's where hellaflush was pioneered (my Bay Area friends were doing it in the early 2000's before it turned mainstream). So we'd have to see a significant number of FR-Ss doing the whole stance thing to add to the turnout. Or, again, pick a track for a track day.

In all cases, I can only see this becoming huge after there's been a boom in aftermarket support. Because that's what makes meets/shows worth attending. Otherwise, we have to start small with local meets or track days to get some grassroots momentum going.
Annual BRZ/FRS Nationals at Vegas sounds more...inviting..
Old 01-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

^Yeah, because at Vegas there's more stuff to do outside of the actual meet lol. Oh the trouble we can get into... could be insane. :x
Old 01-23-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Hey Guff, have you heard of Cupcake Meet (CCM) based out of TX? Their turnouts are HUGE and I've been meaning to go. It seems like a mishmash of all subcultures of import culture and even domestics. I kinda know the president through online correspondence... she seems humble and brings out a very welcoming culture to these events which are for charity, I believe.

Maybe we can round up a BRZ/FR-S group to represent ft86club at a CCM at some point.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
Ryuu0u
(=^・ェ・^=)

Drives: 2013 FRS, '08 GSXR 600
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Las vegas meet would be sick although i'm probably not going to be able to attend till a year after release. Would be insane to see FRS/BRZ filling up a parking garage outside a hotel. Some place with a track like mentioned above would be interesting also.
Ryuu0u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #10
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
No non FRS/BRZ owner invited? :X
Las Vegas? rendezvous? AWESOME.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
Giccin
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Drives: Yaris HBK, Audi 09' TTS<Had>
Thanked 1,899 Times in 966 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I like. I RIKE. lol

Logic > Emotion
┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)
Yashio Factory Pink adds +10HP to anything.
TOYOTA FT-86
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 AM   #12
DommerEOD
I'm a Carcissist

Drives: JERRV , 11 STI, 07 FJ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great idea! We do this every year for FJ Cruisers in Ouray, CO. Basically invade the town, double it's population, and drink all their beer ad occupy all their hotels.

TRD usually makes it out to t and even some Toyota engineers. Raffles, food, etc. It's an awesome time. I imagine for cars, you don't want to invade a cold mountain town, but, to give everyone an example along with the Supra one:

http://www.fjsummit.org/
DommerEOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I'm in for Vegas, 2013 would probably be better than throwing something together this year. Early spring or late fall would be nice to beat the heat. Also, I have connections with the owner of a drift park there so we could possibly get a good deal if we wanted to make that an event.
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #14
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
I would go too but how the heck am I gonna get my car there, I don't want to drive across the country for a annual meet, I'll just bring my self XD!

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote