follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #127
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Eh, fanboi was around way before herrafrush

Old 07-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #128
Phijkchu

Drives: Feet
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Me reading this thread
Phijkchu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phijkchu For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #129
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Yes. So no longer a "Miata".

But this IS a Miata!

NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NOHOME For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #130
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
What is your setup that you're running 100 ft lbs more torque than HP. WTF cam you have in that thing? lol.
The dyno guy was flabber ghasted too,.....as far as i know and what I was told as I bought the engine rebuilt from HKE in houston is its a stock LS1....I have a LS2 manifold though....dont know if that would effect torque like that or not.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #131
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Something seems to be wrong with your numbers. Do you tell us that a V8 engine weights the same with the FA20 engine? I am not sure about the details of the LS engine, but the FA20 engine has an aluminum block and cylinder heads. Overall, it is a well thought and modern design engine.
I am late to this and this may have already been covered but you would be surprised how light those newer v8s are. they are aluminum heads on those too. I honestly dont know about the blocks on the LS engines but I know the heads are and They really are a lot lighter. a co-worker of mine swapped his s2000 engine for an LS and yes he did say he feels the weight slightly but not enough to upset the balance. the weight is only slight.

I dont mean to fan argument. Normally I am a troll but not on this
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driftartist For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #132
cf6mech

I like a good debate......some how tcoat thinks im but hurt......im not......I just think he is wrong and a purist and general doesnt like the idea of putting american muscle in a japanese car......so be it.......and my car is still a frs.....and continues to be a frs......it just goes faster.....btw when it was turbo'ed and at 20 psi of boost I know for a fact it would beat the LS swapped car i have now no problem in a drag straight line pull.....so was that car still an frs?.....it was a nightmare to try to drive fast on a course.... point and shoot.....but the LS with the broad power band is ten times more manageable and predictable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
driftartist (07-29-2016), Tcoat (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 05:20 PM   #133
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf6mech View Post
The dyno guy was flabber ghasted too,.....as far as i know and what I was told as I bought the engine rebuilt from HKE in houston is its a stock LS1....I have a LS2 manifold though....dont know if that would effect torque like that or not.
No, the ls6 manifold flows way better than an ls2. Unless it was the ls1 only manifold. Never seen a stock ls1 do anything like those numbers, lol.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #134
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Quote:
I like a good debate......some how tcoat thinks im but hurt......im not......I just think he is wrong and a purist and general doesnt like the idea of putting american muscle in a japanese car......so be it.......and my car is still a frs.....and continues to be a frs......it just goes faster.....btw when it was turbo'ed and at 20 psi of boost I know for a fact it would beat the LS swapped car i have now no problem in a drag straight line pull.....so was that car still an frs?.....it was a nightmare to try to drive fast on a course.... point and shoot.....but the LS with the broad power band is ten times more manageable and predictable.
To be honest I am a purist too. TBH I would prefer a toyota engine in this thing. But if someone decides to use an american v8, I won't bash, it isnt my style but i respect it
The Following User Says Thank You to driftartist For This Useful Post:
Psilox (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #135
cf6mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftartist View Post
To be honest I am a purist too. TBH I would prefer a toyota engine in this thing. But if someone decides to use an american v8, I won't bash, it isnt my style but i respect it
As would I.....it would just be more correct......but there are so many parts and availability with the LS......and the engine so compact.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #136
cf6mech

Quote:
No, the ls6 manifold flows way better than an ls2. Unless it was the ls1 only manifold. Never seen a stock ls1 do anything like those numbers, lol.
Well it is possible it has some kind of funky cam in it for torque.....the tuner did ask me if this engine came out of a truck he also never seen numbers like that......I told him no its out of a 2002 camaro?????.....so who knows.....when I have to have it rebuilt ill check the cam.
The Following User Says Thank You to cf6mech For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (07-29-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #137
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Quote:
As would I.....it would just be more correct......but there are so many parts and availability with the LS......and the engine so compact.
I can respect that man. No worries the ls is a popular swap that people do. There is no harm in going the direction you choose.
Old 07-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #138
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,818 Times in 16,426 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Butt hurt or not, @cf6mech ,when you call a person out (like in this post) I suggest you let them know ....... like with an @Tcoat ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:46 PM   #139
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Dude! I am 57 years old. I grew up with American muscle. I think it is a great idea that people want to do this swap. I have said that over and over in what I thought was a very clear manner. You have either missed or twisted my point all along. That does not however mean the FRS is still and FRS. A turboed FA20 remains an FRS a V8 creates something that may be FRS LIKE but is NOT a FRS. If I pull the engine out of a 'Vette and slap in the FA20 is it still a 'vette. NO it just looks like one.You have said several things such as using torque to turn and the V8 power to pull out that are distinctly not FRS abilities. You have not "enhanced the car with more power" you have changed the whole nature. That you could change it an maintain the feel is wonderful and I applaud that (I will take your word for it). You keep saying how much better it is at everything and I have not once disputed that. In fact that is the very reason it is no longer an FRS since it is that much better at those things. You seem to be set that I am somehow saying it isn't as good and that is very distinctly not my point and never was. My statement was "an FRS can not beat a Camaro and remain an FRS". You have evolved your car to something beyond an FRS and that is wonderful but the fact remains that it is NOT a FRS it is a shell with a whole different drive train in it. I have now said this about 10 times and give up if you just can not see that.
cf6mech (07-30-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #140
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
So the purists have no issues with a Subie engine in the Toyota?

Isn't that like putting a Chevy motor into a Ford?

How about the individual who receives a kidney transplant from another person?

Just stirring it up a little.
cf6mech (07-30-2016)