follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
boomslang

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Michelin PSS versus AS/3

I need a set of tires to put on my 17x9 Weds.

The FR-S won't be seeing any snow for sure and probably not much rain.

I will drive the car in the cooler months before they start salting the roads Oct-Nov so it may be 30-40 degrees F during those times.

Will I be giving much up with the AS/3 tires versus the PSS?

Also, how much road grit do the PSS tires pickup?
boomslang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've been curious about this for a while now, glad to see someone asking. It can rain a lot here at times, and before it starts snowing we can still end up with some fairly cold days. I was planning on getting the PSS but I'm afraid they might not work well in October/November.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
Estey

Drives: Scion FR-S, Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
ive noticed that with my set of PSS they dont perform/stick as well on cold days, but thats just a matter of warming them up. They are probably going to be complete garbage in the snow, but in the rain they keep the car pretty planted
Estey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Rest your fears. PSS work great in cool temps and in the wet. Living in the PNW I have run them year round on several cars.
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
I have PSS great tire but ya they are a sticky soul, every small pebble attaches like glue. For my needs even though only summer use I'll be looking at AS/3 next as they will last longer and still fantastic. I had a set of AS/2+ prior and they were excellent.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #6
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have used the PS2 on a chipped Audi S4 and I now have the A/S 3 on my BRZ. I have not driven the PSS.

The A/S 3 will give up some ultimate grip to the PSS in warmer weather or in the dry, according to all reports I have read.

However, in my judgment the A/S 3 is equal to the older PS2, which in its day was a phenomenal tire.

I'd ask the question: how much grip do I need or can I use?

The A/S 3 will answer that question 12 months of the year if you get no snow or ice. The PSS will not grip as well in the cold and wet, say from October to March. Where I am I use full winters from October to May so the A/S 3 is a god send for the four months we actually get "summer" weather.

Also, there is a practical limit to the grip you can actually use in this car, the suspension is really, really good.
Ubersuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I live on a short gravel road and have learned that PSS are bad about slinging gravel, especially when they are cold. On a gravel road on a cold morning I have to drive under 10 miles per hour to prevent damage to my paint. On a hot summer day after they are properly warmed up they don't sling gravel any worse than other tires. PSS are great tires for max traction. Can't comment on a comparison with AS/3 as I have never driven with them.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:00 AM   #8
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
How much grip do you want/need?

If you don't track your vehicle or do autocross the A/S 3 would be great for a daily driver. The price is better than the PSS, as you probably know.

The A/S 3 is an all-season performance tire that performs closer to a summer performance tire.

The PSS is a summer performance tire that is about close as it gets to RS3/Z2 Star Spec category (track-oriented) street tires.
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #9
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersuber View Post
I have used the PS2 on a chipped Audi S4 and I now have the A/S 3 on my BRZ. I have not driven the PSS.

The A/S 3 will give up some ultimate grip to the PSS in warmer weather or in the dry, according to all reports I have read.

However, in my judgment the A/S 3 is equal to the older PS2, which in its day was a phenomenal tire.

I'd ask the question: how much grip do I need or can I use?

The A/S 3 will answer that question 12 months of the year if you get no snow or ice. The PSS will not grip as well in the cold and wet, say from October to March. Where I am I use full winters from October to May so the A/S 3 is a god send for the four months we actually get "summer" weather.

Also, there is a practical limit to the grip you can actually use in this car, the suspension is really, really good.
Tell me about your s4, got one of those too
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiichiro View Post
Tell me about your s4, got one of those too
Well, the Audi taught me a few things:

Audi's understeer

Fast Audis understeer more

Fitting stiffer springs, especially to the rear makes Audi's snap oversteer after they're done understeering

Ride height doesn't affect handling enough to bother dropping most street cars and the S4 rides low enough box stock actually

Adjustable dampers are not really, you need to find the correct click for the effective spring rate you have and then leave them there. I had an expert mechanic do mine when he replaced blown Koni yellows and he set them up perfectly. I never touched them afterwards

Why oh why didn't Audi blow this engine at 14 psi from the factory???? Mine was chipped and went like stink, a friend of mine has it now as a DD to his Ferrari 360 fun car...he claims his Ferrari is quicker, I said you mean from 0-60 or from 100-120?

I sold the Audi to by the BRZ, truly I did and I'm much happier with a car that goes where I point it when I point it instead of a few seconds later.
Ubersuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:40 PM   #11
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersuber View Post
Audi's understeer

Fast Audis understeer more
There must be a stronger word to describe how Audis behave. In Audi's defense, however, the market they sell into is a perfect fit for cars that understeer heavily.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote