follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-12-2014, 04:37 PM   #1
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Lightbulb Collection of motor failures! Please help compile to help everyone!

Hi everyone, my second motor just failed at 26k miles, fresh oil, less than 300 miles on it. Toyota last serviced it at 21k, cam sensor, forgot to tighten a motor mount, etc etc (tech was an idiot) motor was replaced at 18k miles. I was found "at fault" and they covered 80% on "goodwill" (BS, statistically, it's their fault or mine... can't say, oh, well, it was only partially our fault, symantics, it's been fixed.) So now at 26k, same syptoms as last time, lift off throttle, rattling, gets worse, pulled off, while pulling off the road, feathered it in N at around 3k, definitely bearing failure. Car went to the dealer this morning. I am seriously in fear of another drawn out fight to get them to accept responsibility. I am also going after my $1100 from last motor repair, since oil is clearly NOT the reason they fail, or it is, but not regular oil changes at least. I would LOVE to be able to make this a clean, simple collection of catostrophic motor failures, and would appreciate any help!

Please state

What failed (if you know)
Mileage
How it failed
Circumstances when it went out- slow and gradual or just boom
Results of warranty claim?
And of course... modifications to the car, your use of the car
Last oil change
List of services performed, IE, recent reflash etc.
Some way to contact people would be cool? I am open to suggestions, but basically just so that the list isn't a bunch of BS, and has some actual significance- Understand that toyota techs/advisors hate knowitall forum junkies, and that isn't my intention to throw this info in their face, just make sure the problem doesn't continually get ignored!

Thanks everyone, this could be very helpful since they are claiming the number of failures is "statistically insignificant." I think we all know someone who's experienced one. That doesn't seem insignificant. Nor does two on the same car at less than 30k miles. I bought this car specifically because I needed reliability, and thought a Toyobaru would be a good choice and have been to hell and back, and simply want to drive my car and not fear random failures... There's a strong chance that the last tech messed something up that caused the second failure, but since it ran fine for 8k miles, I really doubt that... This could also help Toyota/Subaru fix the problem potentially, but I'll be honest, the main reason I want this thread built, is to support people who have failed motors from the warranty reps from corporate who act like insurance people and do anything possible to avoid fixing their cars. I know one guy was told that his CAI let water in and it "hydrolocked" after fighting it, they were unable to prove it, and it was indeed bearing failure. He was well within service intervals as well, with plenty of good oil... Best of luck, best wishes.
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zohare For This Useful Post:
aristo (05-15-2014), eurospeed (07-04-2014), Mr 286 (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #2
zohare

Garage
Rod bearing failure #1
Driving spirited, but not crazy, about 5.5k rpm out of a 3rd gear corner on a back road, immediately made noise, slowed and confirmed bottom end issue of some sort. No CEL at any point in time, motor was still running, and drove it onto the wrecker.
I was found "at fault" since I couldn't prove the oil had been changed since 5k miles when Toyota last did it. They offered %80/%20 which I accepted- continual problems after motor replacement, tech messed up a lot of things.
Injen, at the time stock intake, CBE, AP crank pulley. Toyota didn't blame any of these or even mention them.
12k miles, unable to prove, Toyota assumed 5k. Oil was "2qts low" really? So a new car burns 2qts of oil between changes and that's normal?
multiple HPFPs, taillights, a reflash before failure
I can be reached here if you need info, PM, as I haven't yet checked the rules on contacting people with methods not forum related, and don't want to get myself or others in trouble with the mods.

Bearing failure #2
Cruise control 67mph, lifted off for an exit, rattled, started to pull off, while doing so feathered throttle in Neutral, confirmed same noise as first time, but much worse and louder, by the time I slowed and coasted to a parking lot, when I stopped it shuddered made some super awesome noises and stalled. (Seized.) CEL only came on after it had stalled... Still none after failure, which is still odd to me. Shouldn't our knock sensors pickup massive bearing failure?...
TBD- at dealer on 5/12/14, hopefully I'll know soon
Same as before. Injen, APCP, CBE.
300mi before it died. Mobile 1 0W20 extended performance, Bosch Super whatever ultra amazing oil filter. (not cheapo, I'd use it on an M96 Porsche without hesitation)
Long block replacement, 3 HPFP (and was chirping again when it failed,) multiple taillights, (finally replaced with Valentis,) Cam sensor, motor mount, reflash, and a million other tiny details the tech missed doing the long block replacement.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #3
Mr 286

Drives: 2014 Camry SE V6 | 1991 MR2 Turbo
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'll post mine when they call me with more details after they pull the motor. Your symptoms sounds similar to mine.
Astroboy (09-02-2015), zohare (05-15-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
God I hate seeing these posts.. Good luck with the dealership man.

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BRZPDX For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (09-02-2015), Guff (05-15-2014), hmong337 (05-27-2014), Nasty Sausage (05-24-2014), zohare (05-15-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #5
Dmitri

Drives: Turbo BRZ, Celica Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Di injectors/ seals from your old motor in the new long block?
Dmitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Didn't Tut already have a thread just like this one going?
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
phuthinhon

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
what kind of rattle were you having on your motor?
phuthinhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
zohare

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
Didn't Tut already have a thread just like this one going?
Not sure, I'll look for it. We NEED to get a proper list of cases going, not saying class action, but simply make sure they don't BS anyone out of a motor. I'll search and ask to have this one deleted if so. I couldn't find any though. Link?

Also, exactly as predicted, spun #2 rod bearing... Tired of this waiting crap. I need my rental it's a PITA. The entire reason I bought the car was because I was concerned about future reliability of my Eclipse... which is probably still fine today. Very frustrating. Next time I'm lemon lawing the car. This is ridiculous.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #9
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zohare View Post
Not sure, I'll look for it. We NEED to get a proper list of cases going, not saying class action, but simply make sure they don't BS anyone out of a motor. I'll search and ask to have this one deleted if so. I couldn't find any though. Link?

Also, exactly as predicted, spun #2 rod bearing... Tired of this waiting crap. I need my rental it's a PITA. The entire reason I bought the car was because I was concerned about future reliability of my Eclipse... which is probably still fine today. Very frustrating. Next time I'm lemon lawing the car. This is ridiculous.
He compiled the list inside another thread, never created a new one. Let me see if I can find his post.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #10
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
In all it's glory: @King Tut

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...25&postcount=4

The Caveat is that all of this motors are boosted.

I personally know of 5 other motors blown here in South FL that are not posted anywhere and have not been mentioned out of respect to owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
So I guess I decided to compile the list today:

@Frs300
  • Full Blown Turbo Kit
  • 93 Octane Full Blown Basemap
  • Blew the motor in less than 100 miles, due to the vacuum lines being placed incorrectly on the wastegate and overboosting

@nelsmar
  • Vortech Supercharger Kit
  • E85 FA20Club Dyno Tune
  • Blew the motor after 12,000 miles due to tune running too lean

@alexisfire02
  • Larger Sprintex Supercharger
  • FA20Club Dyno Tune
  • Blew the motor on the drive home from getting it tuned

@Innovate Motorsports
  • Innovate Motorsports Supercharger Kit
  • 91 Octane Visconti Tune
  • Blew a motor while attempting to develop the OTS tune to sell with the kit (kits now ship with Delicious Tuning Tune)

@Jesse@JDLAutodesign
  • JDL Turbo Kit
  • JDL Tune on AEM EMS only utilizing the port injectors
  • Blew the motor up do to melted wastegate line and an overboost

@civicdrivr
  • Vortech Supercharger Kit
  • 93 Octane Visconti Tune
  • Blew up the motor while on the dyno

@shiro
  • Greddy Turbo Kit
  • Full Blown Tune
  • Blew the motor in less than 600 miles believe to be caused by the cam timing and prior damage to motor

@cf6mech
  • Accelerated Performance Turbo Kit
  • E85 AWDTuning, Texas Tune
  • Blew the motor when it crushed a rod bearing most likely due to the tuning

@Unleashed
  • Full Blown Turbo Kit
  • 93 Octane Full Blown Basemap
  • Blew the motor because local mechanic installed a 15 PSI spring and ran a 7 PSI basemap and over boosted spinning a bearing

@Michaeljp92
  • P&L Turbo Kit
  • E85 JRTuned Tune
  • Blew the motor because the car was purposely pushed beyond the limits at the drag strip to find out what the actual limits are, the tune was fantastic, the power was just a bit up there for the factory rods to handle.

If anyone knows of any others, please post them up.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-02-2015), GhostOp86 (11-30-2016), hmong337 (05-27-2014), Nasty Sausage (05-24-2014), sosick (05-28-2014), zohare (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #11
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I personally know of 5 other motors blown here in South FL that are not posted anywhere and have not been mentioned out of respect to owners.
All boosted?
Old 05-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
All boosted?
All Turbo...

One actually was on the forums, tuner had car in its hands, Olympic Motorsports in South FL and in their hand boom... It was later discovered logs showed lean and improper WG pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-02-2015)
Old 05-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
zohare

Garage
Quote:

Quote:
All Turbo...

One actually was on the forums, tuner had car in its hands, Olympic Motorsports in South FL and in their hand boom... It was later discovered logs showed lean and improper WG pressure.
That sucks....... Really hate hearing that. :/ crap happens. Lean is a big no go. That shouldn't be an issue. I mean occasionally an FPR fails or something but...

FI cars aside, I'm primarily looking to complile a list of cars that are under warranty. To those 5 owners, I respect their privacy. It would be cool though if they could help out, I'm more than happy to find a meaniable to contact them if not on here?
Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:

For clarification - mine was boosted at the time of the catastrophic failure at 33k miles, but had been showing symptoms since new, including a trip to the dealer for a cylinder head replacement.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=28

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=32
Sportsguy83 (05-16-2014), zohare (05-19-2014)

Tags
bearing, blown, failure, motor, rod