follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #85
Slow_86
Cpt. Slow

Drives: 2015 series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Not trying to thread jack, have been looking for a but so i figure this is the best place to ask.

I'm looking at lowering the car, but after reading this, im trying to figure out how low before axle geometry is skewed and putting excess stress on the axles? I see PSM has the diff risers.
Slow_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #86
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_86 View Post
Not trying to thread jack, have been looking for a but so i figure this is the best place to ask.

I'm looking at lowering the car, but after reading this, im trying to figure out how low before axle geometry is skewed and putting excess stress on the axles? I see PSM has the diff risers.
If you raise or lower the suspension, you run the risk of causing excess strain on the cv joints on the axles. Diff risers may help, but I don't know. After I swapped axles with another used FR-s axle all seems fine.

Please read all posts that have listed why their axles have failed (including mine). Then take into consideration that you run the risk of breaking axles if you decide to lower, so save some extra dough for axles or a lot of dough for DriveShaftShop axles, and lower away!
Old 03-11-2014, 08:56 PM   #87
Slow_86
Cpt. Slow

Drives: 2015 series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmatley View Post
If you raise or lower the suspension, you run the risk of causing excess strain on the cv joints on the axles. Diff risers may help, but I don't know. After I swapped axles with another used FR-s axle all seems fine.

Please read all posts that have listed why their axles have failed (including mine). Then take into consideration that you run the risk of breaking axles if you decide to lower, so save some extra dough for axles or a lot of dough for DriveShaftShop axles, and lower away!
Yeah i've been reading through here and seeing what/when/how peoples axles are breaking.

By chance @markmatley, How much lower are you? Stock wheels/tires?
Slow_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #88
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_86 View Post
Yeah i've been reading through here and seeing what/when/how peoples axles are breaking.

By chance @markmatley, How much lower are you? Stock wheels/tires?
At the time of breakage, I was actually about an inch higher than stock. Stock height (from Toyota headquarters) is about 7" I believe from the center of the rear subframe bolt that connects to the lower control arm to the ground. Mine at the time was ~8". This was done just for looks, low in the front, and only a tad bit higher than stock in the rear. Also at that time, I had stock wheels and tires.

As of replacing my axle, I am dropped down to .5" lower than stock in the rear, with a wheel and tire set that matches the height of the stock wheel and tire set. I am only 10mm's wider than stock. No noise or grinding, just tire rub when I hit these horrendous potholes on Oahu.

Hope that helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to markmatley For This Useful Post:
Slow_86 (03-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 AM   #89
steveoexige

Drives: UK GT86 in White with alcantara
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I seem to get a loud clicking noise from inside the car down toward the rear of the transmission tunnel (altho cant be sure), whatever though the noise is definitely toward the rear of the car. I only seem to get this clicking sound after I've been driving 5 mins, it's never there straight away. It's definitely not trim related like a rattle or anything and seems to get gradually louder during "spirited" driving and then seems to disappear if I switch off and come back to the car an hour later. Sound like a CV joint?
steveoexige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 PM   #90
batboygotoj

Drives: Toyota Camry
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just went under the car today. Inner cv boot on the passenger side torn. Now will I need to change out the whole axle or just the boot? My car is lowered rear finger gap. Thanks in advance.
batboygotoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:17 PM   #91
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I plan on dropping my FR-S in the future, and I'm definitely interested in this topic. On my previous car (Altima Coupe), I had axle problems as well once it got low enough on coils. After going through a few sets of axles... I gave my axles to this guy http://www.gatorracingaxles.com and they held up really good, and all he did was upgrade the boots and grease.
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:11 PM   #92
batboygotoj

Drives: Toyota Camry
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My friend said frs/brz are really weak once lowered. So I might get upgraded axle just to be safe. Taking mine to the dealer tomorrow to get the ripped boot a check. So hopefully something gets replaced under warranty.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...-in-rear-axles
batboygotoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #93
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
All of my issues have been passenger side.

I'm pretty low though and drift the car. MAX risers getting installed soon. Upgraded axles alone aren't enough. They're still going to be at an extreme angle and get premature wear. Risers are the better option as they'll help eliminate the issue. If you never want to worry again, do both.

Doing just the DSS axle upgrade won't be enough though if you're lowered a good few inches. We have a couple pages about this topic in the drifting thread under the track section.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-02-2016), kevaughan (06-17-2020)
Old 03-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #94
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batboygotoj View Post
My friend said frs/brz are really weak once lowered. So I might get upgraded axle just to be safe. Taking mine to the dealer tomorrow to get the ripped boot a check. So hopefully something gets replaced under warranty.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...-in-rear-axles

You'd rather break the ring/pinion?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:44 PM   #95
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoexige View Post
I seem to get a loud clicking noise from inside the car down toward the rear of the transmission tunnel (altho cant be sure), whatever though the noise is definitely toward the rear of the car. I only seem to get this clicking sound after I've been driving 5 mins, it's never there straight away. It's definitely not trim related like a rattle or anything and seems to get gradually louder during "spirited" driving and then seems to disappear if I switch off and come back to the car an hour later. Sound like a CV joint?
This is what I was getting. Eventually it will settle down on an rpm range. Mine was ticking at 1k to 2.5k and would go away at higher rpm's. Eventually this will lead to a break at the CV joint at the diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockatoo View Post
I plan on dropping my FR-S in the future, and I'm definitely interested in this topic. On my previous car (Altima Coupe), I had axle problems as well once it got low enough on coils. After going through a few sets of axles... I gave my axles to this guy http://www.gatorracingaxles.com and they held up really good, and all he did was upgrade the boots and grease.
Funny you mention this...my friend just told me about them for his FWD. I emailed them to see if they work with RWD axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
You'd rather break the ring/pinion?
Hahaha! I don't think he wants that. And I don't quite follow your post? Would he break the ring/pinion if he drove it a bit to the dealership to get the CV boot checked out?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #96
Eurasianman
Chief

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I am starting to wonder if it is honestly just a hit/miss on whether you will end up with a broken axle once you start dropping the car and/or adding more power. One of the forum members has been tracking his lowered car, with additional power and has not had any issues: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...03#post1686903

Hope I did not jinx him :\

Eurasianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #97
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Anyone got a part number for the axle? Definitely am going to pick one up and include it in the autoX kit. Seems like a "not if, but when" issue.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #98
Scooby South
Conedancer

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ SWP
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
Anyone got a part number for the axle? Definitely am going to pick one up and include it in the autoX kit. Seems like a "not if, but when" issue.
ebay...about $125..left and rights are the same

Bill
Scooby South is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scooby South For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (01-02-2016)

Tags
more money than brains, stance bro