follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

View Poll Results: What is your deciding factor when choosing what upgrades your are going to do?
How cool it makes my car look / sound. 13 23.21%
Good ratings from other users. 36 64.29%
Manufacturer participation (sponsorships & forum support). 16 28.57%
Cost. 24 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
driver71

Drives: Scion FR-S SCCA Racecar
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
You know, if you happened to have a Paypal account and would put a FT86Club.com decal on the car someplace then some of us might be persuaded to make a contribution.

Bear in mind that I did not clear this with the forum Admin or Mods. It is just an idea to help get a FR-S into a professional series to "represent".
^^^^ DISCLAIMERS ACCEPTED ^^^^
Actually… There is a new deal that I might be able to get us into… It is called: FanBacked Twitter: @FanBacked

Basically if enough of us want to see this thing on the track in SCCA TCA… I could set up a profile with them, set a budget to get there… and then let the chips fall where they may….

Waddaya think? (to keep up my gud spelling).. Annnddd… Another pic for you!:cool pics: (and yes… I took it out through the bottom with a floor jack). After you get the STUPID fuel lines off… it is actually pretty easy.
Attached Images

Toyo~Scion~Whiteline~K&N Engineering~Seibon Carbon

If you can dream it ~ you can build it.

Last edited by driver71; 07-10-2014 at 01:11 AM.
driver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #16
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver71 View Post
^^^^ DISCLAIMERS ACCEPTED ^^^^
Actually… There is a new deal that I might be able to get us into… It is called: FanBacked Twitter: @FanBacked

Basically if enough of us want to see this thing on the track in SCCA TCA… I could set up a profile with them, set a budget to get there… and then let the chips fall where they may….

Waddaya think? (to keep up my gud spelling).. Annnddd… Another pic for you!:cool pics: (and yes… I took it out through the bottom with a floor jack). After you get the STUPID fuel lines off… it is actually pretty easy.
Might be worth a shot. I am somewhat surprised of how few roadracing fans there seems to be in the FR-S/BRZ community. Maybe you could contact the Administrator of this site to get some coverage of your racing plans to enhance your exposure and generate interest.

By the way, I found your poll difficult to answer because I choose the parts I buy for my car based upon the function that they are going to serve to fulfill my goal for the car. Cost and the manufacturer's support for the community are also important but it still has to be a superior product that gets the job done as efficiently as possible.

Subscribed.....obviously.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #17
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Awesome thread - great project - good times!
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
driver71 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #18
driver71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
Awesome thread - great project - good times!
Building this car has honestly been absolutely fantastic times… Im used to working on 1970s technology with NASCARs (albeit the Sprint Cup Cars are bad ass now)… The FT86club members has been a wealth of information… and I still use a lot of the DIY articles to help me out. Everyone on here is GREAT

Another couple pics for a great post!
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to driver71 For This Useful Post:
Fastbrew (07-10-2014), Rampage (07-10-2014), Scottemad123 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #19
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Great to see an FR-S/BRZ racing in a NATIONAL series like the SCCA Pirelli World Challenge. I wish it was the Continental Tire ST series, but I know that the fact it is more endurance style racing and not the short sprint races that it takes a larger effort. So why have you removed the engine from the chassis?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
Great to see an FR-S/BRZ racing in a NATIONAL series like the SCCA Pirelli World Challenge. I wish it was the Continental Tire ST series, but I know that the fact it is more endurance style racing and not the short sprint races that it takes a larger effort. So why have you removed the engine from the chassis?
Actually both the Pirelli and Continental series are international (well, more accurately, North American) road racing series but, yes, I agree with you that it is about time that someone steps up.

I was also wondering why the motor came out. Unless blueprinting is allowed before the motor is sealed. However, today's engines have such tight tolerances that I thought that blueprinting was no longer as effective. Modifications are pretty limited in TCA. Listed below is an overview of Pirelli World Challenge TCA Rules:

• Stock motor specifications -- will have sealing procedures at first event for each vehicle
• Stock exhaust manifold, rest of exhaust is unrestricted, must exit at stock location
• Air filter element is unrestricted
• Stock flywheel, open clutch -- same physical sizes as stock
• Cockpit is per general rules, must retain factory dash pad
• Must use Optima brand battery
• Double adjustable shocks, non-remote reservoir, any manufacturer
• Open springs
• Minimum ride height -- expected at 3.5” for all cars
• Base weights per each VTS
• Stock swaybars, may upgrade if allowed by VTS
• Stock suspension arms, limited suspension bushing upgrades
• Camber adjustment (plates or arms)
• Engine mount bushing maybe replaced with non-metallic (must retain stock configuration and location)
StopTech front brake package is optional
• Stock rear brakes
• Stainless Steel brake lines are allowed
• Brake ducting is allowed -- see PRR for options
• Limited ECU software -- only approved per VTS
• Stock Bodywork -- no composite components
• Hood latches may be modified or replaced
• Transmission stock with stock ratios (F.D. maybe approved as adjustment)
• Helical gear Limited Slip Differentials, ratios and specifications per each VTS
• 17x8 wheel -- minimum weight specifications
• TC specific Pirelli Tire

Nothing there would require engine removal. Color me curious.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #21
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Actually both the Pirelli and Continental series are international (well, more accurately, North American) road racing series but, yes, I agree with you that it is about time that someone steps up.

I was also wondering why the motor came out. Unless blueprinting is allowed before the motor is sealed. However, today's engines have such tight tolerances that I thought that blueprinting was no longer as effective. Modifications are pretty limited in TCA.

Nothing there would require engine removal. Color me curious.
I meant national versus just a West Coast series. My guess would be that they plan to run the cage through the firewall and into the strut towers or they plan to do some chassis stitch welding. The pics seem to show an aftermarket hood and front fenders which sounds like it violates:

Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #22
driver71

Hiii ALL - Boy you all are more resourceful than I give you credit for … Yeah! You are right… as you will see this car is way more modified than what the TCS rules allow… And there is a reason for that… Because I wanted to build a car that was the optimum road race car… because TCA, is actually very limited… But with that being said, things like hoods, fenders, brakes, suspension components are all REALLLY easy to change… But even "stock components" have their tolerances… and with the adjustable suspension that I am installing on here I might just find the "tolerance" that i want, if you catch my drift.

BUT WITH THAT BEING SAID!!! TIME FOR MORE PICS!
Attached Images

Last edited by driver71; 07-10-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #23
driver71

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I meant national versus just a West Coast series. My guess would be that they plan to run the cage through the firewall and into the strut towers or they plan to do some chassis stitch welding. The pics seem to show an aftermarket hood and front fenders which sounds like it violates:

Yup and there is a lot more you will find that is not quite right. For initial testing and R&D you will find a number of aftermarket pieces that are not completely in the rules. However when I submit the car for homologation (assuming I will be the one that needs to do that)… I can suggest items that are permitted to be modified for this specific vehicle, such as Whiteline bushings, swaybars, clutch, etc… Doesn't mean it will be approved (but I can ask). When it comes to tech inspection for TCA, you can be assured it will roll right through!

Now on the roll cage subject…

This will actually be a 6 point cage - so there will be nothing going through the firewall - That is part of Touring car rules - I checked on that.

And to answer the burning question about why the engine came out...

Partly because when you travel 2000 miles to a race… and you have a spare engine in the trailer… and you have no idea how to change it… you look kind like a silly bugger. So, now I know how.

But also, because there were modifications, and reinforcements that with the engine out was ALOT easier to do. Also, there was a lot of grinding, welding and fabrication that you just don't need to have the engine near when doing that kind of stuff.

Ultimately when I do fab work on the NASCARs 90% of the time I pull the engine, its cleaner and prevents damage.

And it is almost easier to completely pull the engine to change spark plugs too

Hope that helps clarify some of the reasons this engine came out! Keep on asking questions, happy to answer, appreciate the support!

MORE PICS!
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to driver71 For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (04-07-2015)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #24
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

The TCA class cars are very close to stock. You could drive them home from the track if you wanted to except for the straight pipe exhaust. It seems that you are trending more towards the PWC TC class or the Conti ST class where more mods are allowed (required). I know the FR-S/BRZ is eligible for ST and I believe it is for TC as well.

Ernie Francis Jr. a current TCA competitor in the TCA class driving a MX-5 posted this video in the Racing section of this forum today. It is of the FR-S that Rebel Rock Racing built last year and then never raced for some reason.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za-6bp7lEZo"]Rebel Rock Racing FRS ST Test Homestead - YouTube[/ame]

Damn shame!!!!
ATL BRZ (07-11-2014)
Old 07-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #25
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Quote:
Ernie Francis Jr. a current TCA competitor in the TCA class driving a MX-5 posted this video in the Racing section of this forum today. It is of the FR-S that Rebel Rock Racing built last year and then never raced for some reason.

Damn shame!!!!
I look forward to watching that video when I get home. I have had the pleasure of racing against both Ernie Francis Sr. and Ernie Francis Jr. in a NASA Florida race. I drove through the carnage when Francis Sr. destroyed their first PWC TCB Nissan at the end of the long back stretch heading for Turn 17 at Sebring. Francis Jr. was one of the few who has been able to beat me in my SpecE30 in a Spec Miata. I just want to see more BRZ/FR-S in any of the national series so I have someone to root for.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #26
driver71

Hey All! Sorry I haven't been able to post lately! This whole working thing is putting a damper on the FR-S building!

Anyway, here is a couple more pics of the build.

Just to describe what you are looking at… basically, I am a member of SEMA in the Young Executives Network, as such I have the ability to attain the CAD drawings of the FR-S. Thus, combined with 3D bending software, that turned out to be very accurate I was able to begin building the roll cage of the FR-S.

The goals for the cage was to #1 - be legal and safe. (obviously), however being in NASCAR since Earnhardt Sr. was killed has given me many insights into race car construction. Some of the designs that I see out there a quite-frankly - scary! When you see what can happen in real-time in an wreck.

The Second thing is to add performance. Roll Cages can help stiffen a car so that changes are noticeable, like stiffer springs and sway bars. Its amazing how much a chassis will flex when you stiffen the suspension.

Thirdly - is LIGHT! I know that can sometimes mean "not safe" but like a Bee's honeycomb structure - light can be STRONG. So that means using the correct materials - such as chromoly (for non-essential stiffeners). This allows you to reduce the diameter, and wall thickness while maintaining strength and reducing weight. NOTE - Never compromise your safety, rules are there for a reason - to keep you alive, work on saving weight in the non-essential areas of safety.

So Anyway! I hope everyone is doing well! Thanks for stopping in!

Daryl
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to driver71 For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (04-07-2015)
Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #27
driver71

Coming up next... installation of the Corbeau Revenge racing seat!

If anyone is looking for a racing seat with great looks and added safety... These guys are awesome! Highly recommend them, the seats are way more comfortable than my $3000 custom aluminum NASCAR seats. And LIGHT too.

Feel free to ask any questions about the seat mounting or installation.

Daryl

Old 07-19-2014, 11:16 PM   #28
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I can't believe I've missed this thread for so long...subbed

OP - I'm rooting for ya!