follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 AM   #15
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nice results!!!!

Also which way is your head rest facing ?
Old 01-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Ugh watching that video and the line through the bowl makes me cringe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Sorry for being off topic, but is that a crack in your dash panel?
That would be Tetsuya Tada-san's signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftEightSix View Post
Nice results!!!!

Also which way is your head rest facing ?
The normal way... I recline the seat a bit, but I don't usually bump it.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #17
DriftEightSix
Pegasus White

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I see should just turn the head rest around (its deisnged to be able to do that)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #18
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I have to ask and I am not being an ass. I assume this is a dedicated track car?

Without looking at a pyrometer and being on street tires how on earth would you need more camber than that?
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #19
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I have to ask and I am not being an ass. I assume this is a dedicated track car?

Without looking at a pyrometer and being on street tires how on earth would you need more camber than that?
Not by any means! While it is the shop car, the idea behind our car is to make the fastest possible car around a track, while keeping the car completely streetable, aka no gutting, 130db exhausts, slicks, etc. The car is remarkably simple!

Tire wear is accelerated on the outside of the tire, on both the RS3 and R-comps. The wear difference was noticeable on the r-comps after just 1 session of driving.

I completely agree that a pyrometer is necessary to properly adjust camber for maximum grip, but in the interest of saving $$$, we're adjusting based on wear instead. Is it the fastest setup? No, but we have to try to keep the costs under control.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #20
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Not by any means! While it is the shop car, the idea behind our car is to make the fastest possible car around a track, while keeping the car completely streetable, aka no gutting, 130db exhausts, slicks, etc. The car is remarkably simple!

Tire wear is accelerated on the outside of the tire, on both the RS3 and R-comps. The wear difference was noticeable on the r-comps after just 1 session of driving.

I completely agree that a pyrometer is necessary to properly adjust camber for maximum grip, but in the interest of saving $$$, we're adjusting based on wear instead. Is it the fastest setup? No, but we have to try to keep the costs under control.
i like your philosophy. it's just like your CR; they're effective and functional mods that improve lap times. :happy0180:
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
Matt Andrews

Drives: race cars
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post

RS3's love camber. this is universal over every platform I've used them on. On some chassis I've driven, best lateral grip was achieved at over 4 deg of camber.

Combine that with the strut setup with little camber gain, the FR-S will destroy tires at near stock camber levels on track.

11/19/12 - Just back from Redline TimeAttack's demo event. Video and write up in link below.
http://fecompetition.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/FECompetition
Matt Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #22
Matt Andrews

mike-

I'll get my video up shortly. We need to get some data on your video. Find a used ipod touch or phone and get harry's lap timer. You do that, I'll spot you an igloo case.

Your times were significantly faster than mine, so I won't I notice is that I am still driving a horsepower line, not a momentum one. I think I see where I am loosing time. (that, and I'm on 4000mi old rs3's.) I would be really curious to swap your 225 RS3s with my 255's and see where the differences are. I wonder if in the summer, the difference is much smaller. I remember in 100 deg heat, even the 255's were getting greasy.

Looking forward to swapping cars at the next event.

11/19/12 - Just back from Redline TimeAttack's demo event. Video and write up in link below.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #23
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

Tires were still not quite warmed up for the first half of the lap... had to go wide in the bowl

Car can definitely still go faster, but I just need that perfect lap where I hit no traffic AND the tires are at the right temp...

Based on tire wear, we do need a bit more camber... don't have a pyrometer to check temps...

No offense, but is that your first time at a track? I've never been to a track. It looked fun as hell. Any pointers for a person who has never been but wants to go. My car is stock as far as wheels and tires go. I do plan on doing something to fix that in the spring. Nice video too!
ravenblackfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
Matt Andrews

Mike is fastest street tire FRS at SOW that I am aware of. Definately not a noob, and not a noob line either.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
RS3's love camber. this is universal over every platform I've used them on. On some chassis I've driven, best lateral grip was achieved at over 4 deg of camber.

Combine that with the strut setup with little camber gain, the FR-S will destroy tires at near stock camber levels on track.
Yes. I had major tire wear before the whiteline top hats and camber bolts. Not the ideal setup, but since I'm still on stock dampers and springs it's good enough for now.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

What pressures are you running with that much camber, even increasing pressures in front don't help much?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
CSG Mike

Quote:
mike-

I'll get my video up shortly. We need to get some data on your video. Find a used ipod touch or phone and get harry's lap timer. You do that, I'll spot you an igloo case.

Your times were significantly faster than mine, so I won't I notice is that I am still driving a horsepower line, not a momentum one. I think I see where I am loosing time. (that, and I'm on 4000mi old rs3's.) I would be really curious to swap your 225 RS3s with my 255's and see where the differences are. I wonder if in the summer, the difference is much smaller. I remember in 100 deg heat, even the 255's were getting greasy.

Looking forward to swapping cars at the next event.
I can send over my Aim Solo data for you to look at Whens the next time you're going? We'll have to swap rides as well as cars. I'm down to play with tire swaps too. My struggle is that I'm still unable to duplicate that fastest theoretical lap time; I lack the consistency to produce the times that I want. There's always a few things about every lap that I'm unhappy about.

I'm pretty convinced that smaller tires are faster with stock power levels.

I was running somewhat of a hybrid miata/s2k line with the RS3, but with the RC1 on, I could run a miata line all the way through. The cornering grip of this car is just absurd.

As a data point, I can take Riverside at BW flat, hugging the inside and brushing the inside berm, having to shift up right as I touch it (i have them coincide to absorb the shock of the berm itself). In the S2k, I have to enter wide, and I'll still be fighting the rear, zero-countering through, and apexing at the berm (and having to miss it by a few feet to avoid the dip). Even with the 225 on the BRZ, I can carry a tighter line and more speed, compared to 255 on my S2k. Absurd.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
Matt Andrews

what speed do you exit bus stop?