follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #5237
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ESC is paid for!, cant wait for it to arrive.. hope this 1.5dump setup is as awwwwwsome as you folks have described it.. ^_^

a few questions for you guys that already have the esc. how long did it take to clear customs?
and, I have a fully stock car with just a drop in K&N filter, whats are the gains that i should be expecting.. <- is there a dyno graph of a stock car +esc in one of the dyno graphs on the first page?

Last edited by shif7i7down; 05-14-2014 at 11:44 PM.
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shif7i7down For This Useful Post:
fenton (05-14-2014)
Old 05-14-2014, 11:52 PM   #5238
silent runner

Drives: 93'Camry, 82'Corolla, 76' Celica
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shif7i7down View Post
ESC Paid!, cant wait for it to arrive.. hope this 1.5dump setup is as awwwwwsome as you folks have described it.. ^_^
It is...

I think I have to drop by on Rob and at least say hello tomorrow. Maybe I'll give him a little demo of my Camry with the 250, 1.0 set-up, for fun if he wants to check it. I've been running a prototype for about 5 months now on a really old, high milage car now with no detrimental effects. I just have to share the results with him, it killing me to keep this to myself, and this is on a crappy old automatic motivated Camry. It's just silly quick now in acceleration, and all the sway bars, brake and tire/wheel upgrades work hand in hand with making it a fine driving, family hauling sleeper.
silent runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #5239
enwave
That headunit though...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited SSM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I just put in an offer on a brand new home this morning and Rob springs the ESC on me on the same day!? Bless his heart.

I can't wait to get this! Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
enwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:06 AM   #5240
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwave View Post
I just put in an offer on a brand new home this morning and Rob springs the ESC on me on the same day!? Bless his heart.

I can't wait to get this! Great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:07 AM   #5241
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
I think this is the dyno you're referring to:

Run 002: Stock tune
Run 046: ESC tune & armed with DR
Run 047: ESC tune & unarmed

^ is my labeling correct?

So the dyno was of DR all the way to redline without activating the throttle switch?
I am not sure how old or how that was set up, but I don't believe it always gives power above normal, here is a more recent post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post
As promised, here's my detailed dyno report. All on 93 octane, 4th gear pulls + catted front pipe and catback exhaust.

First things first, ESC vs. stock + stock map (both with front pipe/CBE/intake filter)

LOVE the 50% torque gain in the dip

Hate the drop off towards 7K rpm, really rewards you for keeping it between 3-5K

The Phantom ESC was hitting about 4.5psi peak boost, then dropping to 0.5-1psi higher in the rpm range.

Next up i tested SPM (Super Pursuit Mode turns off throttle switch) vs. stock to see if I'd actually gain/lose anything with drag reduction only. I did.

ESC Super Pursuit Mode (red) vs. stock + stock map (both with front pipe/CBE/intake filter)
Was surprised to see peak numbers were pretty much the exact same with SPM actually producing less low end torque until 4K.

Next i wanted to see how the ESC would perform with an aftermarket intake filter

ESC vs. ESC w/K&N Filter (both with front pipe/CBE)
Nice gains! almost 10hp and 10tq higher in the rpm range.

Although my AFRs started to get a bit scary with the filter. Although this was with the dynojet exhaust sniffer, not OFT data logging.

Summary, I'm very happy with the torque between 3-5K its what the car really needed. Would love to keep it going past 6K but here's hoping the 1.5 dump pack helps. Horsepower isn't all that impressive but who cares when you have all that torque on tap that low in the range. AFRs are still a bit scary but I'm thinking with more fuel i should be making more power.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm planning to hit the dyno again once i get my 1.5 dump pack and will likely ask Shiv for an e-tune to clean-up my AFRs.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #5242
MagicBobert

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
For those who are already running the kit, are any of you still on stock wheels and tires? If so, do you have any trouble putting the power down?
MagicBobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #5243
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBobert View Post
For those who are already running the kit, are any of you still on stock wheels and tires? If so, do you have any trouble putting the power down?
No problems on stock rubber. Even though the torque increase is huge over stock, in the grand scheme of things its still around 190WTQ (hoping e85+OFH will get me to 210ish). That's great for a 2700lbs car, but not enough to make car control an issue. Also, the power comes on gradually, so the tires don't get worked that hard on acceleration. However, I'm generally driving faster now, so I'm working the brakes and tires harder decelerating too. In any case, stock rubber is fine for this kit.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
MagicBobert (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 05:24 AM   #5244
Gums

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Door Lights

Modded my door lights whilst I wait for shiv@vishnu to get the G rom ESC tune sorted. This is my first try, so some room for improvement.
Attached Images

Gums is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gums For This Useful Post:
keen as (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #5245
Jac

Drives: Fiat Abarth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
For example, if a track has 3 straights (two short ones and a long one), but the controller will overheat after one or two laps, I might want to only activate the ESC through the long straight to prevent it from overheating so I can go through all ~10 laps still using the drag reduction feature and ESC-on-command before the session ends.
Ah ok, sounds like you'd want SPM then. Keeps the WOT switch on the pedal but lets you deactivate it.

Phantom Supercharged BRZ | 205WHP / 185WTQ
Nameless FP/OP Combo

Jac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #5246
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post
Next up i tested SPM (Super Pursuit Mode turns off throttle switch) vs. stock to see if I'd actually gain/lose anything with drag reduction only. I did.

ESC Super Pursuit Mode (red) vs. stock + stock map (both with front pipe/CBE/intake filter)
Was surprised to see peak numbers were pretty much the exact same with SPM actually producing less low end torque until 4K.
Would be interested to see where stock + stage 1 map would fit into this graph. I'm assuming it'll be slightly higher than these two runs.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #5247
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Just incase anyone haven't bought their batteries yet, i found some Pertty cheap ones at m and b batteries.Order Summary
--------------------------
2 -* Power-Sonic PS-1290 12V 9AH SLA Battery @ $18.00

1 -* Power-Sonic PSH-12180FR Battery @ $41.75

2 -* Power-Sonic PS-12180NB 12V 18AH SLA Battery @ $33.75

--
5: Total Items

Subtotal: $145.25
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shif7i7down For This Useful Post:
Robftss (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 09:15 AM   #5248
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
I went ahead and purchased the cooling mod materials. I ended up purchasing the following:

Amazon.com: HPS (SSTC-76-84) 76mm - 84mm Stainless Steel T-Bolt Clamp for 2-3/4" Hose: Automotive

Amazon.com: Allstar ALL42141 Black 5" x 9-3/4" Single Hole Offset Plastic Brake Cooling Duct: Automotive

and last: Amazon.com: Allstar ALL42150 Black 3" x 10' Brake Duct Hose: Automotive

I actually don't need the full length of ducting so @nlowell and I are splitting the tubing.
Did you end up using the Single Hole Offset Plastic Brake Cooling Duct? I don't see it in your after pictures.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #5249
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you end up using the Single Hole Offset Plastic Brake Cooling Duct? I don't see it in your after pictures.

Not yet. So there are gains still to be had in that department. I will be installing it within the week.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #5250
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
What about the 1.5 kits?
It's about the middle of May and I haven't heard anything about them.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive