follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
vladniko86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Taking car to dealer for service

Usually I never do this. Either I'll change whatever myself or if it's really complicated I'll have a trusted shop do it. Screw dealer pricing. That said, however, I've been having an issue with my tranny, and was wondering if anyone had the same.

To replicate issue: You need to be going at least 70mph in 6th gear. As you downshift to 5th, clutch all the way in, blip the gas as to revmatch, and as you put the shifter into 5th you will feel the gears. It's not a good feeling haha

I called and made an appointment, and they said it would be $60 if nothing checked out and they couldn't make a warranty claim. I have a 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Is this standard to all FRS's? Also, I put in a mishimoto intake. Will this stop me from making a warranty claim? Thanks
vladniko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladniko86 View Post
Usually I never do this. Either I'll change whatever myself or if it's really complicated I'll have a trusted shop do it. Screw dealer pricing. That said, however, I've been having an issue with my tranny, and was wondering if anyone had the same.

To replicate issue: You need to be going at least 70mph in 6th gear. As you downshift to 5th, clutch all the way in, blip the gas as to revmatch, and as you put the shifter into 5th you will feel the gears. It's not a good feeling haha

I called and made an appointment, and they said it would be $60 if nothing checked out and they couldn't make a warranty claim. I have a 7 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Is this standard to all FRS's? Also, I put in a mishimoto intake. Will this stop me from making a warranty claim? Thanks
As far as the downshifts from 6th to 5th, if all you feel is a meshing of the gears, I wouldn't worry about it. If they "grind" or refuse to engage, you may have a problem.

I doubt your changing out the intake would effect any transmission warrant work.

The power train warranty on my 2013 FR-S is 60 months or 60,000 miles.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
vladniko86 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
vladniko86

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
As far as the downshifts from 6th to 5th, if all you feel is a meshing of the gears, I wouldn't worry about it. If they "grind" or refuse to engage, you may have a problem.

I doubt your changing out the intake would effect any transmission warrant work.

The power train warranty on my 2013 FR-S is 60 months or 60,000 miles.

humfrz
Awesome! I guess the previous owner paid a lil more? Anyways, it's not that it's mushy I can feel the gears themselves. Doesn't feel good
The Following User Says Thank You to vladniko86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #4
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Awesome! I guess the previous owner paid a lil more? Anyways, it's not that it's mushy I can feel the gears themselves. Doesn't feel good
are you new to driving stick? you are feeling the synchros...unlike the trans on a fwd chassis, if that is what you're used to, there aren't cables & pulleys between lever & synchros, it is metal on metal contact so you will feel pretty much everything going on ESPECIALLY when it is not warmed up..but considering we're heading into winter and you're in NY, it will probably feel like that for quite some time...all normal and intended that way by Toyota/Subaru to create a more confident shift for the driver.

yes most likely the person paid extra for the extended warranty coverage..

Last edited by HKz; 12-04-2018 at 03:58 PM.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:19 PM   #5
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I don't see nothin' wrong... with a little bump and grind...

But for real though, people have had issues with the synchros in these cars. There are plenty of "grinds when going into X gear" threads to be found. Some people have had the dealer give them a new transmission, some have simply changed the trans fluid and the problem was resolved.

My car used to grind occasionally going from 4th to 5th if the revs were high, but it hasn't happened in a couple months. Not really sure why.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
I don't see nothin' wrong... with a little bump and grind...

But for real though, people have had issues with the synchros in these cars. There are plenty of "grinds when going into X gear" threads to be found. Some people have had the dealer give them a new transmission, some have simply changed the trans fluid and the problem was resolved.

My car used to grind occasionally going from 4th to 5th if the revs were high, but it hasn't happened in a couple months. Not really sure why.
but that isn't what the OP is experiencing....grinding =/= notchy shift...most grinding issues are probably from people mis-shifting and their initial reaction is that it was tran's fault
Old 12-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #7
vladniko86

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
but that isn't what the OP is experiencing....grinding =/= notchy shift...most grinding issues are probably from people mis-shifting and their initial reaction is that it was tran's fault
Ok so I'm gonna be honest it's my first manual trans so I might not be classifying it right. When I blip the throttle and push the shifter into 5th, I can almost kinda feel the gears fighting back at me. When I blip it and wait a second, till rpms reach the peak and begin to drop its fine. Honestly Im just looking for dealer to do whatever to fix it, I have that warranty might as well use it.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:57 PM   #8
vladniko86

Quote:
are you a new to driving stick? you are feeling the synchros...unlike the trans on a fwd chassis, if that is what you're used to, there aren't cables & pulleys between lever & synchros, it is metal on metal contact so you will feel pretty much everything going on ESPECIALLY when it is not warmed up..but considering we're heading into winter and you're in NY, it will probably feel like that for quite some time...all normal and intended that way by Toyota/Subaru to create a more confident shift for the driver.

yes most likely the person paid extra for the extended warranty coverage..
Oh yea I am new I just thought it was weird that it only happened when downshifting to 5th. Doesn't happen going through any of the other gears. I've only been driving stick for a month but it's pretty easy to catch on to, takes a while to master right? haha
The Following User Says Thank You to vladniko86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok so I'm gonna be honest it's my first manual trans so I might not be classifying it right. When I blip the throttle and push the shifter into 5th, I can almost kinda feel the gears fighting back at me. When I blip it and wait a second, till rpms reach the peak and begin to drop its fine. Honestly Im just looking for dealer to do whatever to fix it, I have that warranty might as well use it.

I mean, you can ask the tech to take it out, but I'm 99% sure they'll say that is normal operation for the gearbox.

As a non-tech person, "fighting back" doesn't sound like an issue. My GTI had a shitty 5th gear. MY FR-S has the same shitty 5th gear. You have to be patient and very deliberate with your shifts into 5th, I've found. Don't bother blipping the throttle. It won't help you.

Most gears you can shift with little or no thought. It just "slips in."

With fifth gear, you take it by the neck and put its head underwater until it stops fighting... metaphorically speaking.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
vladniko86 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:10 PM   #10
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
I guess I misinterpreted what he meant by "feel the gears". Because the OPs next post makes me agree with you that its just a notchy shift.

Quote:
I don't think anything is wrong with your transmission. I think you're just trying to force the trans into gear before the synchros have time to do their job, resulting in a shift that feels notchy. It feels like the gears are fighting you because they are. The synchros need a little time to actually, you know, synchronize, and if you're trying to slam the car into gear before that happens, yeah, you're gonna feel a little resistance. That's normal transmission behavior. So, there wont really be anything for the dealer to "fix".

I think this is a driver fix rather than a car fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
vladniko86 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #11
vladniko86

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
I guess I misinterpreted what he meant by "feel the gears". Because the OPs next post makes me agree with you that its just a notchy shift.

I don't think anything is wrong with your transmission. I think you're just trying to force the trans into gear before the synchros have time to do their job, resulting in a shift that feels notchy. It feels like the gears are fighting you because they are. The synchros need to match engine speed to wheel speed, and if you're trying to slam the car into gear before that happens, yeah, you're gonna feel a little resistance. That's normal transmission behavior. So, there wont really be anything for the dealer to "fix".

I think this is a driver fix rather than a car fix.
Okay so basically before pushing it into 5th I just need to give it a little more time to do it's magic?
Old 12-04-2018, 03:25 PM   #12
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Quote:
Okay so basically before pushing it into 5th I just need to give it a little more time to do it's magic?
It's not so much that you need to "wait", I just think you're probably using a bit too much force when shifting. Just use gentle pressure and you'll feel the shifter "slip" into place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-04-2018), vladniko86 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Also, I already edited my other post, but I misspoke and you quoted before the edit and I feel that its important to note that synchros don't match wheel and engine speeds, they match shaft and gear speed. The principle is the same, but I don't want to be spreading misinformation.
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
vladniko86 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 04:00 PM   #14
HKz
Reformed

Quote:
you just need more practice with your throws that is all.
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
vladniko86 (12-04-2018)