follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2019 Subaru Ascent - New 2.4 Turbo Flat-Four The Twins Will Never Get

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/20...-and-info-news (updated)

Powering the Ascent is a new turbocharged 2.4-liter flat-four engine making 260 horsepower and 277 lb-ft of torque, the latter at a low 2000 rpm

Nearly half a decade after the demise of Subaru’s Tribeca SUV, the Japanese brand will jump back into the three-row crossover game with the 2019 Subaru Ascent. Built on the scalable Subaru Global Platform that also underpins the latest Impreza, the Ascent rides on a 113.8-inch wheelbase and contains a formidable 152 cubic feet of passenger space in its boxy body, comparable to the Honda Pilot (152 cubic feet) and the Volkswagen Atlas (153 cubic feet) but falling short of the massive Chevrolet Traverse by five cubes.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/subar...-drive-review/

Codenamed TR8, the Ascent was developed in Japan but will be built at Subaru’s plant in Lafayette, Indiana. All 60,000 annual units are for North America; the plant can build more if needed. It will be available in base, Premium, Limited, and Touring trim levels. The pricing ladder will be announced closer to the on-sale date this spring, but we’re told the Ascent will start just above $30,000.

I didn't know that Subaru was developing a 2.4 liter engine. I assumed they would stick with the Turbo'd FA-20, which is what some assumed the next STI would receive. Probably safe to predict it'll replace the EJ25.

Strip off the turbo and put the NA 2.4 in the Twins, amirite?

No word on a NA varient to replace the 2.5i.

Last edited by mazeroni; 12-06-2017 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Post release update
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does it have more horsepower?
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
nextcar
Guilt free parts vulture!

Drives: 2013 FR-S - Asphalt 6MT
Thanked 1,763 Times in 933 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Does it have more horsepower?
Sure, but it still needs 50 HP more.
nextcar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nextcar For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-16-2017), lantsalot (12-07-2017), ScoobsMcGee (11-14-2017), Summerwolf (11-14-2017), Tcoat (11-14-2017), Twinz (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextcar View Post
Sure, but it still needs 50 HP more.
I was simply going to say if it does it precludes it from going in the twins in any way.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
mazeroni (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
J Greg BRZ

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I could definetly see them putting this in the next generation 86 (without the turbo, of course). I believe it's been confirmed the next major update will be in 2020. So if anything happens, it would probably be at that time.

I personally have no problem with the current stock output. The car is simply a joy to drive, however, the biggest complaint I hear about our platform is about it's lack of straight line speed.

If Toyota/Subaru think they can sell more cars by adding a little more engine, then I'm all for it. An increase in sale numbers can only mean more support, and the continued production of these amazing cars.

LONG LIVE THE 86!
J Greg BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:08 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post

"Subaru says the Ascent will be powered by a new turbocharged, direct-injected 2.4-liter flat-four, but other technical details are slim at the moment. Production of the Ascent will begin in 2018 at Subaru’s plant in Lafayette, Indiana, and Subaru plans to sell the crossover exclusively in North America. The Ascent will go on sale sometime in 2018 as a 2019 model year."

I didn't know that Subaru was developing a 2.4 liter engine. I assumed they would stick with the Turbo'd FA-20, which is what some assumed the next STI would receive. Probably safe to predict it'll replace the EJ25.

Source? Link?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Greg BRZ View Post
I could definetly see them putting this in the next generation 86 (without the turbo, of course). I believe it's been confirmed the next major update will be in 2020. So if anything happens, it would probably be at that time.

I personally have no problem with the current stock output. The car is simply a joy to drive, however, the biggest complaint I hear about our platform is about it's lack of straight line speed.

If Toyota/Subaru think they can sell more cars by adding a little more engine, then I'm all for it. An increase in sale numbers can only mean more support, and the continued production of these amazing cars.

LONG LIVE THE 86!
Nothing is "confirmed" about the future of the 86. There is no official statement anyplace that says there will be a next gen or any other substantial changes in 2020 or any other year. Anything being said is speculation at best and outright fabrication at worst.
If they were worried about selling more they already would have done a higher HP option not wait for 7 years into the car's life cycle. Odds are it would be built on the new Impreza platform and be nothing more than a two door WRX (I can speculate with the best of them). An increase in sales numbers of 2020 MY cars would do nothing to increase the support of the first gen anyway. In fact if they did release a higher HP version that maintained all the current aspects that make it popular (unlikely) then the first gen would just get tossed aside and forgotten by most of the "enthusiasts".
roddy (11-24-2017), Summerwolf (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese

Drives: 15 BRZ
Thanked 7,013 Times in 2,337 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Source? Link?
Can't find more than a tweet of the image and a link to a website that says nothing about the engine. (https://www.subaru.com/2017-laas)

On the plus side, I found this on Subaru's twitter account while looking.

ScoobsMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (11-25-2017), Spuds (11-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:08 PM   #9
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Considering the Nissan GT-R has been in production for 10+ years with essentially the same platform and same engine, it's no safe bet to assume that small production vehicles like the 86 will receive "normal" upgrade cycles in the future.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Source? Link?
Whups. http://www.motortrend.com/news/subar...november-28-l/

If you google Subaru 2.4 Turbo, there appears to be a lot of prior discussion about it being positioned as a 3.6 replacement. Probably looking for a bit more torque for larger vehicles, like the outback and legacy.

*Apparently the Viziv-7 concept from last year was speculated to carry that engine, although I don't see direct confirmation from Subaru. So not factual, but then it makes sense as the H6 isn't exactly new, and turbo 2.0 engines in larger vehicles is somewhat rare because of the lack of lower end torque.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mazeroni For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:16 PM   #11
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
Whups. http://www.motortrend.com/news/subar...november-28-l/

If you google Subaru 2.4 Turbo, there appears to be a lot of prior discussion about it being positioned as a 3.6 replacement. Probably looking for a bit more torque for larger vehicles, like the outback and legacy.
I searched it and all I see are a bunch of other forums and low level car blogs talking about it.
Could be true but I see nothing that even remotely convinces me there will be such an engine. Could be an interesting possibility when they change the WRX/STI over to the new platform but I would think we would have heard rumours on that as well.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #12
J Greg BRZ

Garage
Quote:
Nothing is "confirmed" about the future of the 86. There is no official statement anyplace that says there will be a next gen or any other substantial changes in 2020 or any other year. Anything being said is speculation at best and outright fabrication at worst.
If they were worried about selling more they already would have done a higher HP option not wait for 7 years into the car's life cycle. Odds are it would be built on the new Impreza platform and be nothing more than a two door WRX (I can speculate with the best of them). An increase in sales numbers of 2020 MY cars would do nothing to increase the support of the first gen anyway. In fact if they did release a higher HP version that maintained all the current aspects that make it popular (unlikely) then the first gen would just get tossed aside and forgotten by most of the "enthusiasts".
I said I "believed" it was confirmed, and was very hypothetical in my post. I've read several posts on this forum (and elsewhere) about an update for 2020, so I wasn't aware it was just speculation.

I also don't think it would be a whole new chassis. This one is phenomenal. Why fix what isn't broken? I was just saying I could definitely see them throwing this new 2.4L engine in our cars, IF it even exists. And IF they update the platform.

We're just talking cars, man. Don't see what's so harmful about speculating the future of the 86, even if it's not "official".
The Following User Says Thank You to J Greg BRZ For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Greg BRZ View Post
I said I "believed" it was confirmed, and was very hypothetical in my post. I've read several posts on this forum (and elsewhere) about an update for 2020, so I wasn't aware it was just speculation.

I also don't think it would be a whole new chassis. This one is phenomenal. Why fix what isn't broken? I was just saying I could definitely see them throwing this new 2.4L engine in our cars, IF it even exists. And IF they update the platform.

We're just talking cars, man. Don't see what's so harmful about speculating the future of the 86, even if it's not "official".
Unfortunately car companies fix what isn't broken all the time. In order to have mass appeal to make sales they would have to change this car from what it is to something more consumer friendly. We don't want that.

Not sure how you read my post but it was simply a counter statement to what you said not a call out or challenge in any way. Speculation is great but when somebody expands on the subject or disagrees with it it doesn't mean they are picking a fight but simply have a different view. Speculate away.
JazzleSAURUS (11-16-2017), Spuds (11-15-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #14
J Greg BRZ

Garage
Quote:
In fact if they did release a higher HP version that maintained all the current aspects that make it popular (unlikely) then the first gen would just get tossed aside and forgotten by most of the "enthusiasts".
Seriously? Because they never update cars with more powerful engines. I guess the AP1/AP2 S2000's don't exist.

They could release a factory turbo 86 tomorrow, and I wouldn't love my current BRZ any less.
The Following User Says Thank You to J Greg BRZ For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (11-15-2017)