follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
i_4got

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fixing crickets/chirping sound in Canada?

Hey guys, so Toyota in the US has a TSB to fix the crickets/chirping sound. But I called Toyota and we don't have such a thing in Canada. But even after bringing their cars into Toyota, some users here have said that their chirping sound comes back after a few hundred miles.

Has anyone in Canada had this problem and found a permanent fix for it? There are other threads about this topic, but the TSB doesn't apply to Canada. And there are too many pages of discussion to sift through.

If we get solutions here, I'll update this post so the info is easier to find.
i_4got is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_4got View Post
Hey guys, so Toyota in the US has a TSB to fix the crickets/chirping sound. But I called Toyota and we don't have such a thing in Canada. But even after bringing their cars into Toyota, some users here have said that their chirping sound comes back after a few hundred miles.

Has anyone in Canada had this problem and found a permanent fix for it? There are other threads about this topic, but the TSB doesn't apply to Canada. And there are too many pages of discussion to sift through.

If we get solutions here, I'll update this post so the info is easier to find.
I switched to non-ethanol gas and the chirping went away with the first full tank of it. Not actually a fix per se, but, even if you call it a bandaid, they are gone nonetheless.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
i_4got

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
I switched to non-ethanol gas and the chirping went away with the first full tank of it. Not actually a fix per se, but, even if you call it a bandaid, they are gone nonetheless.
I believe Shell VPower is 0% ethanol? That's what I've always pumped and I recently started hearing the chirping.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
Demandred7

Quote:
I believe Shell VPower is 0% ethanol? That's what I've always pumped and I recently started hearing the chirping.
All "Canadian" Shell V-Power is ethanol free (the same cannot be said of our friends in the U.S.).

Out of curiosity, do you hear it all of the time? Only at startup? Only once warmed up?

Is your dealership willing to look at the problem despite the lack of a TSB in Canada?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
i_4got

Quote:
All "Canadian" Shell V-Power is ethanol free (the same cannot be said of our friends in the U.S.).

Out of curiosity, do you hear it all of the time? Only at startup? Only once warmed up?

Is your dealership willing to look at the problem despite the lack of a TSB in Canada?
I drove for an hour in rush hour to get home after work, got out to get the mail while my car was idling, and that's when I heard it for the first time. I'll see if I hear it right after starting up tomorrow morning.

I have an appointment to swap on my snow tires tomorrow at Toyota, so I'll talk to a tech while I'm there. I spoke to a receptionist on the phone today but she didn't sound like she knew anything.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Demandred7

Quote:
I drove for an hour in rush hour to get home after work, got out to get the mail while my car was idling, and that's when I heard it for the first time. I'll see if I hear it right after starting up tomorrow morning.

I have an appointment to swap on my snow tires tomorrow at Toyota, so I'll talk to a tech while I'm there. I spoke to a receptionist on the phone today but she didn't sound like she knew anything.
Hearing of your issue, I think that I will check mine this evening. Most of the time I just park it and turn it off.

I hope you have a positive resolution. Keep the rest of us posted, you may not be alone in your predicament.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
i_4got

Quote:
Hearing of your issue, I think that I will check mine this evening. Most of the time I just park it and turn it off.

I hope you have a positive resolution. Keep the rest of us posted, you may not be alone in your predicament.
From what I hear from the American users here that went through the repair outlined in the TSB, the chirping came back anyway. Most of them say there will probably be a more permanent fix in the future. Hopefully us Canadians get in on that too.

However, the good thing is that I never noticed the chirping until today when I stepped out of my car while it was idling after a long drive. For all I know it's been chirping for months. So even if Toyota never comes up with a permanent solution, it's not a problem that will bother me that much.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Dragon86

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
i've been putting shell 91, for over 4months now, no chirping. What you could be hearing is the cars injectors. Put a video up with the sound and let hear what it is.
Dragon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
Future

Drives: BRZ!
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I've had the repair done under warranty yesterday by Subaru (for my BRZ)... Chirping gone (for now) but car sounds a lot more quiet too...
Old 11-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #10
Pforwell

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I find the Shell V Power works. I was using Petro Ultra 94 and getting chirping. Used a tank of Shell, and it went away. In a predicament, had to use Petro again, and it came back. I'm now back on Shell and it seems to go away.

The only place I really notice the crickets (and noticed it here for the first time) is the Timmies drive through. This particular timmies has trees down the other side of the drive through and created a very loud echo.
Pforwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
DjDATZ
EightSixClub Co-Founder

Drives: Selina (FR-S), Rondo EX V6 & fortwo
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
From personal experience here's my anecdote:
- I started using Esso when I got my car, no chirping
- Then switched to Shell due to the premium not having ethanol in it, and didn't notice a change.
- Then went to Petro for 2 fill-ups because I couldn't find a Shell when I needed gas.
- With Petro I could hear my car starting to chirp.
- Switched back to Esso and since then, no chirping.

No evidence from this, take from it what you want.

Like EightSixClub on FB, and follow us on Twitter!
DjDATZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #12
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've been using Premium Petro-Canada since the beginning and not a sign of chirping @ 3000 KM so far...the engine has a pretty loud clicking to it but it seems to come from the DI injectors, probably normal since DI engines sounds like crap.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future View Post
I've had the repair done under warranty yesterday by Subaru (for my BRZ)... Chirping gone (for now) but car sounds a lot more quiet too...
Future what did they repair on your BRZ?
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I don't think there is any tsb in Canada yet ?
Correct me if I'm wrong

I-Tapatalk
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote