follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 07-21-2015, 05:29 PM   #4005
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Drives: 13 BRZ, 19 WRX, 10 GMC, 20 RAV4
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Any of you nice Austin fellers that are going to the Annual FT86 meet/cruise in Leakey on 8/8 want to lead a group of about 10-15 cars on the Sisters run when we leave out of Medina? There's a free T-shirt in it for you if you do. Please let me know ASAP. We could use some help!

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:58 AM   #4006
rlybigBOB
well.. medium-sizedBOB

Drives: '14 Asphalt FRS MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
fuuuhhhhh i wish theyd run these on sundays. working saturdays le blows.....
rlybigBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:08 PM   #4007
Semprini
Spline Reticulator

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlybigBOB View Post
fuuuhhhhh i wish theyd run these on sundays. working saturdays le blows.....
Chime in on the main thread and suggest that for next year.

Semprini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #4008
paintdude258

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Booshay View Post
S/O to the silver beauty I saw on Manchaca Rd today around 7:30-8!! Always nice to run into fellow 86's in the 512!
YO YO!!!! What's going on?? Join the Austin 86 club on Facebook! I posted about you there! Good seeing ya! What exhaust you running??
Attached Images

paintdude258 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintdude258 For This Useful Post:
Bobby_Booshay (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 11:57 AM   #4009
Bobby_Booshay

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme86 View Post
Any of you nice Austin fellers that are going to the Annual FT86 meet/cruise in Leakey on 8/8 want to lead a group of about 10-15 cars on the Sisters run when we leave out of Medina? There's a free T-shirt in it for you if you do. Please let me know ASAP. We could use some help!

Thanks!
PM me the details of what's expected. I'm interested
Bobby_Booshay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobby_Booshay For This Useful Post:
Extreme86 (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #4010
Bobby_Booshay

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdude258 View Post
YO YO!!!! What's going on?? Join the Austin 86 club on Facebook! I posted about you there! Good seeing ya! What exhaust you running??
I sent in a request just now for the club. Look forward to seeing/meeting up with more of yall. I'm running the Zeta Catback w/ an invidia catless front pipe and a takeda CAI. Did it sound nice???
Bobby_Booshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #4011
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Garage
3rd Annual FT86 Texas Meet - Team Lead Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Booshay View Post
PM me the details of what's expected. I'm interested
There's a wall of info on the event thread. Basically, I recommend the that lead driver at least has the experience of having done the run at least once. If that describes you, we can talk!

After that, there are so many variables and things that you might encounter it is a matter of setting the pace (speed), knowing when to pull over if there is a safe spot to do so to create a gap from slower traffic ahead if a good set of twisties is coming up and there is no safe way to pass slow traffic. Knowing where radar traps are. Making sure you didn't lose anyone. Knowing where we are gonna take a couple of brief stops along the way. Briefing everyone in the group of these things. Making sure everyone knows the route in case they get separated. Making sure everyone has a full tank of gas so they don't run out (it has happened.) Doing the safety talk again so someone doesn't wipe out the side of their car on a guardrail (because it has happened.) Stuff like that. Be very alert, etc.

All this stuff comes pretty natural after going out there about a half dozen times with the same people I guess. If we see bicycle riders out there in mass on their "Twisted Sisters Suicide Run" it changes everything. I don't particularly want to have to clean up blood stains on my BRZ so my aggressiveness is somewhat reduced ... somewhat sorta maybe. :-) If we see one or two bikers they usually have a car behind them with the flashers going and speeds are like 5 mph. It sucks.

Bicycle speed is like motor home speed and slowdown stuff like that has happened before roughly about 5-10% of the time going out there. I led a group one time and came around a curve at full throttle and a motorcycle was stopped in the middle of the road and the dude was taking pictures of scenery. Fortunately, there was time to stop and everyone was paying attention. To this day I don't particularly like going through that spot very fast for some reason.

Right now we are discussing on having a recon run out there possibly Saturday evening on 8/1 or Sunday morning on 8/2. This might be an opportunity for those who can't make the meet on 8/8 or for those who want to lead a group on 8/8 to learn the ropes to lead a group. Stay tuned to the Meet thread for further info on whether this will happen. @Bobby_BooshayYou are welcome to join us if you would like to lead a group of cars on 8/8.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:43 PM   #4012
Shneegle

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
fuuuhhhhh i wish theyd run these on sundays.
@Extreme86 and I have been going back and forth with planning a recon run for 8/2/15 (Sunday) we plan to meet in Medina at 9AM on Sunday and hopefully meet with a good amount of the leaders so we can get a game plan going for the big event on 8/8/15.

Anyone is welcome to join us. This is mostly just to make sure that we are set for the real meet. Anyone that can't make it to the Big meet on and want to run with us is welcome.

It would be cool to meet up with some of yall for some grub once I get to the Austin/San Antonio area. If someone wants to plan a small gathering at a restaurant or hidden gem please do for Saturday night.

I posted this in the San Antonio thread as well.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 PM   #4013
ron_n_tx

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I want one of these .... http://www.drivingline.com/2015/07/s...-v8-scion-fr-s

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ron_n_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #4014
rlybigBOB
well.. medium-sizedBOB

OOOOoooo i am definitely down for that. However, I am a 3-sisters virgin so I hope they are gentle with me.. but not too gentle. (gag-ball need not apply)
Old 07-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #4015
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Garage
San Antonio 86 Meetup - 7PM Sat. 8/1/15 - The Forum

Quote:
OOOOoooo i am definitely down for that. However, I am a 3-sisters virgin so I hope they are gentle with me.. but not too gentle. (gag-ball need not apply)
You can do it!

@Shneegle - @MoebiusStrip suggested we have a meet and greet at the Forum in Northeast San Antonio this Saturday evening, 8/1/15, near the Sea Island and Red Robin restaurants around 7PM and I concur. MAP Link. Either one of those restaurants serve up pretty good food. All SATX & Austin area 86's invited to grub out with us and then we'll hang out in the parking lot afterwards. Look for a group of 86s to park next to near those restaurants. If there is limited parking in the immediate restaurant area we might park across the street or just re-group after eating.

Also, we are good to go for a Sunday morning meet-up, 8/2/15, 9AM at the Apple Store in Medina, TX. At about 9:30 or so we'll roll out towards Leakey for a Twisted Sisters recon run. For sure, everyone in the area is invited to join us and for anyone that can't make the big event on 8/8, this would be a great alternative to have some fun!
Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM   #4016
ron_n_tx

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Ultramarine
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme86 View Post
You can do it!

@Shneegle - @MoebiusStrip suggested we have a meet and greet at the Forum in Northeast San Antonio this Saturday evening, 8/1/15, near the Sea Island and Red Robin restaurants around 7PM and I concur. MAP Link. Either one of those restaurants serve up pretty good food. All SATX & Austin area 86's invited to grub out with us and then we'll hang out in the parking lot afterwards. Look for a group of 86s to park next to near those restaurants. If there is limited parking in the immediate restaurant area we might park across the street or just re-group after eating.

Also, we are good to go for a Sunday morning meet-up, 8/2/15, 9AM at the Apple Store in Medina, TX. At about 9:30 or so we'll roll out towards Leakey for a Twisted Sisters recon run. For sure, everyone in the area is invited to join us and for anyone that can't make the big event on 8/8, this would be a great alternative to have some fun!
I wish I could make, but away on business travel for this next 3 weeks. Have fun and be safe.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ron_n_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ron_n_tx For This Useful Post:
Extreme86 (07-28-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #4017
rlybigBOB
well.. medium-sizedBOB

baddass, im down for sure. but gewwwweeeeee gotta start driving out there by 630am. other than coffee, a map, a pistol, and smile; do i need anything else? ie radio etc?
Old 07-30-2015, 03:50 PM   #4018
Semprini
Spline Reticulator

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Bring a FRS/GMRS radio. It's very helpful on the trip down and during the event drive. (Both on the scouting run and the main event day)

Semprini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semprini For This Useful Post:
rlybigBOB (07-30-2015)