follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #1107
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *LongFella View Post
Yup... Spoke to soon...

Leaks still there...

After looking at everything again, I'm thinking the o-ring seal on the thermostatic plate is defective. I read about some Perrin Oil Cooler owners with the same issue.

I'm hoping Jackson Racing can help out...
Have you scheduled an appointment with them for them to take a look at the car, or arranged to ship the plate/adapter back to them for warranty inspection?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #1108
*LongFella

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S|Whiteout
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Have you scheduled an appointment with them for them to take a look at the car, or arranged to ship the plate/adapter back to them for warranty inspection?

JR and I have shared a few texts today, but it's Sunday and can't expect Oscar Sr and Jr to respond...BUT I appreciate the fact Oscar Jr and you were there to reply immediately to my concerns. Your knowledge helped, but after all that work... it needs to go back for warranty work.

I have called Jackson Racing. Let's be honest, it's Sunday and I know SEMA is present. However, I'm confident it will ALL work out

“You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace.” - Frank McCourt
*LongFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:47 PM   #1109
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Alright so I already been through like 20 pages of this thread and I've read around but I can't really find an answer for this exactly scenario.

So I was planning on buying a supercharger (Vortech or Jackson) and I'm leaning more towards to Jackson mainly because it's cheaper on the website and it looks like it puts out more power but anyways.

If I buy the Jackson Supercharger kit with the CARB tune, and then I do an entire exhaust system makeover. Basically just upgrading to a bigger exhaust system and getting a high flow cat.

Basically a JDL EL Header with a high flow cat along with the front pipe/overpipe combo also with a high flow cat and probably looking into a 3" nameless catback.

I've read around and people are saying you need a tune if you are doing headers and a front pipe etc. But do I really need a tune if I'm running the CARB tune from Jackson?

From my understanding if I go with the CARB tune, and I do the exhaust "Makeover" wouldn't I just be helping the engine breathe A LOT better and allowing it to do its job a lot easier. So wouldn't there be no need for a tune, unless I wanna tune it for more power. (Fine tuned)
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #1110
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
Alright so I already been through like 20 pages of this thread and I've read around but I can't really find an answer for this exactly scenario.

So I was planning on buying a supercharger (Vortech or Jackson) and I'm leaning more towards to Jackson mainly because it's cheaper on the website and it looks like it puts out more power but anyways.

If I buy the Jackson Supercharger kit with the CARB tune, and then I do an entire exhaust system makeover. Basically just upgrading to a bigger exhaust system and getting a high flow cat.

Basically a JDL EL Header with a high flow cat along with the front pipe/overpipe combo also with a high flow cat and probably looking into a 3" nameless catback.

I've read around and people are saying you need a tune if you are doing headers and a front pipe etc. But do I really need a tune if I'm running the CARB tune from Jackson?

From my understanding if I go with the CARB tune, and I do the exhaust "Makeover" wouldn't I just be helping the engine breathe A LOT better and allowing it to do its job a lot easier. So wouldn't there be no need for a tune, unless I wanna tune it for more power. (Fine tuned)
I'd recommend you keep the OEM cats if you use the Jackson Racing CARB tune. You're still altering flow, and the kit is already literally AT the limit of the MAF.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #1111
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had leaks at the plate with the Mocal Perrin unit. Had mine apart more times than I can count.
Perrin updated the spacer gasket on their kit, Also the mocal gasket on mine came out after removing and reinstalling several times and never sealed properly again. So

1. Replaced thermostatic plate with new gasket
2. Did not overtighten 27mm nut (no more than 35lbsft)
3. Replaced o ring on spacer
4. Tighten spacer/thermosstatic plate before installing lines.
5. Make sure lines are not pulling downward on plate, leave some slack up top if possible.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #1112
*LongFella

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I had leaks at the plate with the Mocal Perrin unit. Had mine apart more times than I can count.
Perrin updated the spacer gasket on their kit, Also the mocal gasket on mine came out after removing and reinstalling several times and never sealed properly again. So

1. Replaced thermostatic plate with new gasket
2. Did not overtighten 27mm nut (no more than 35lbsft)
3. Replaced o ring on spacer
4. Tighten spacer/thermosstatic plate before installing lines.
5. Make sure lines are not pulling downward on plate, leave some slack up top if possible.

Thanks for this!

I pretty much did everything you listed several times Saturday and Sunday. It was frustrating to say the least...

I talked to Jackson Racing yesterday and set an appointment to visit the shop Monday. SEMA's all week so they won't have time until then.

I've concluded the thermostatic plate seal is not properly sealing, similar to your previous situation. Based on what you said about the seal, I'm thinking it's not suppose to be lose and come out?

The Jackson Racing plate seemed fine too, but hard to tell once oil fills up in the cup. I made sure there was any tension from the oil lines so they weren't pulling anything.

Any chance you know where to get new seals or did they just replace the entire plate???

“You might be poor, your shoes might be broken, but your mind is a palace.” - Frank McCourt
Old 11-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #1113
Dezoris

Quote:
Thanks for this!

I pretty much did everything you listed several times Saturday and Sunday. It was frustrating to say the least...

I talked to Jackson Racing yesterday and set an appointment to visit the shop Monday. SEMA's all week so they won't have time until then.

I've concluded the thermostatic plate seal is not properly sealing, similar to your previous situation. Based on what you said about the seal, I'm thinking it's not suppose to be lose and come out?

The Jackson Racing plate seemed fine too, but hard to tell once oil fills up in the cup. I made sure there was any tension from the oil lines so they weren't pulling anything.

Any chance you know where to get new seals or did they just replace the entire plate???
The seal on the plate is designed to come out but based on my experience once it does integrity is compromised. In my case perrin sent me new gaskets and lines for my kit and I wound up buying a new Mocal plate on my own. The new one did not leak. Also I used conical washers on my lines at the pressure fittings as well because too many R/Is has seeping at the fittings. Id just get a new Mocal plate and call it a day.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #1114
*LongFella

Garage
Quote:
The seal on the plate is designed to come out but based on my experience once it does integrity is compromised. In my case perrin sent me new gaskets and lines for my kit and I wound up buying a new Mocal plate on my own. The new one did not leak. Also I used conical washers on my lines at the pressure fittings as well because too many R/Is has seeping at the fittings. Id just get a new Mocal plate and call it a day.

Thanks!

I've got time with Jackson Racing and I'm hoping they can help out in all this...

For now, I'm just monitoring oil temps and running with out the oil cooler mocal plate or extension plate. The oil cooler lines are covered and zip tied away from everything.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #1115
Dezoris

Quote:
Thanks!

I've got time with Jackson Racing and I'm hoping they can help out in all this...

For now, I'm just monitoring oil temps and running with out the oil cooler mocal plate or extension plate. The oil cooler lines are covered and zip tied away from everything.
Be aware after you reconnect those lines you may see oil and seepage from them for a week after from the residual oil in the threads of the fittings.
Just wipe after each drive.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #1116
*LongFella

Garage
Quote:
Be aware after you reconnect those lines you may see oil and seepage from them for a week after from the residual oil in the threads of the fittings.
Just wipe after each drive.

Got it. Everything was thoroughly wiped down prior to sealing them, but I will definitely make sure it is all cleaned before re-installing.

I'll be going to Jackson Racing Monday afternoon to have Sr and Jr take a look at everything. I'm hoping they just replace the mocal part and warranty it (if possible). Those o-rings shouldn't go bad in less then a 8 months...

Old 11-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #1117
Noob4Life
86 Noob

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'd recommend you keep the OEM cats if you use the Jackson Racing CARB tune. You're still altering flow, and the kit is already literally AT the limit of the MAF.
Mike, so you wouldn't advise buying the CARB legal setup if I already have headers/op/fp?

I was hoping to buy the CARB kit so that the only things I had to swap for smog were the headers and MAYBE the op/fp but I could probably slide by with it on. Would you guys be able to tune a higher power tune along side the CARB tune so I could switch back and fourth?
Old 11-05-2014, 02:37 AM   #1118
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post
Mike, so you wouldn't advise buying the CARB legal setup if I already have headers/op/fp?

I was hoping to buy the CARB kit so that the only things I had to swap for smog were the headers and MAYBE the op/fp but I could probably slide by with it on. Would you guys be able to tune a higher power tune along side the CARB tune so I could switch back and fourth?
Carb is locked. It's that or a custom
Old 11-05-2014, 02:55 AM   #1119
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob4Life View Post

I'd actually recommend that you try going back to the OEM setup with the CARB tune.

If it's still not enough power for you, then put back the header and front pipe, and get a custom tune. At that point, you'll already have a complete Ecutek license, so you just need to pay for the tuning time.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
*LongFella (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 03:35 AM   #1120
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm planning for next year track just did my last event for the year.

I think #1 on my list is an oil cooler. I don't know if I'll ever go FI but I want to plan around that. If I did go FI I'd probably go JR.

How much is the thermostatic oil cooler by itself?
Is this the oil cooler I should get or something else?
Should I also install a catch can?

Right now I'm running 5w30 Motul 300V oil. Can I still run this with the cooler or should I go back to 0w20?