follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #85
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I ran across a couple video serieses (produced recently), and wanted to share.

The first set is not really professional-grade... but it's the same guy who wrote the DIY for ClubLexus (mentioned before). He walks you through the tools and procedures needed to rebuild BC Racing shocks. This is with Bilstein guts.

It covers depressurization, removing clips, removing wiper, draining oil, cleaning, replacing piston bits (ring, shims, etc), and reassembling everything.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L6b_AY9hbc"]DIY BC Racing BR shock Revalve tutorial - PART 1(Bilstein Internals) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvBN_3jZJF0"]DIY BC Racing BR shock Revalve tutorial - PART 2 (Bilstein internals) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3CPXOJh_g4"]DIY BC Racing BR shock Revalve tutorial - PART 3 (Bilstein Internals) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BMXsyO-fgE"]DIY BC Racing BR shock Revalve tutorial - PART 4 (Bilstein Internals) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDukDHoMSJg"]DIY BC Racing BR shock Revalve tutorial - PART 5 (Bilstein internals upgrade) - YouTube[/ame]

Also, for those looking into disassembling inverted struts (like Bilstein), check out Shaikh (from Fat Cat Motorsports) on a set of Mini Cooper struts.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kWL9PGfcW8"]How Shocks Work - Access Bilstein strut internal bump stop (1/7), v2.28 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsO_a01Ob7E"]How Shocks Work - Access Bilstein strut internal bump stop (2/7), v2.29 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU-p0qTNVIY"]How Shocks Work - Access Bilstein strut internal bump stop (3/7), v2.30 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNGd4eBoKtk"]Bilstein PSS9 - How to disassemble the adjuster prior to rebuilding the strut (4/7) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ8S2k_2gEo"]A look at the Bilstein PSS9 shaft assembly (5/7) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mplcbsgJZvw"]Close-up of the Bilstein PSS9 damping adjuster mechanism (6/7) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suZcbqmm88s"]How to re-assemble the Bilstein PSS9 monotube insert to strut housing (7/7) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by Shankenstein; 02-10-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shankenstein For This Useful Post:
burdickjp (02-10-2016), Calum (02-10-2016), Hyper4mance2k (02-18-2016), strat61caster (02-10-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #86
burdickjp

Drives: 2013 ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Link for the hats? I'm still on the hunt for a cheap easy solution for the rear top hats... Right now it's either Raceseng or custom spacer, Beatrush would be good but I'm not doing 60mm springs and it's just as expensive as the Raceseng.
I'm having trouble finding them again. I'd found them a while ago because I was looking for an upgrade path that eventually included spring testing.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
burdickjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #87
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
As promised, feedback on my little project, converting the front springs of the B14's over to Linear springs...

Parts used -

KW take-off Upper Spring perches from Racecomp: http://www.racecompengineering.com/i...bled-sets.html

Swift Springs from FRsport: Z60-203-040 (60mm, 8" tall, 224lbs)

Pics:

Before -

After -

As you can see, the Swift springs are much smaller than the progressive springs. At first I thought I would need to raise the perch half an inch to compensate for the shorter springs, but that was NOT the case! Keep the spring perches where you have them at if you do this, just swap the springs and adjust if needed!

Impressions -

The main reason I did this was that with the B14's I've noticed since I've had them that they have a hesitation with initial turn in. IE the steering actually felt unresponsive to start with, and then after a split second finally responds. It actually made the car have less steering wheel feedback IMO.

The second reason was for the ride, which some people have said is "bumpy" with the B14's. I knew it couldn't be because of the Bilstein shocks, cause they are quality shocks themselves. It had to be the springs!

As soon as I pulled out of the driveway, I IMMEDIATELY noticed quicker steering response!!! The steering feel itself had improved quite a bit, there was NO MORE hesitation during initial turn in! I test drove the car around the block and indeed it has improved.

After that, I drove it on some roads I commute every day on and the ride has improved as well albeit not as noticeable. I test drove it on the freeway and also, the ride has improved. Driving in a straight line on the freeway actually feels better too.

Upon further test driving, the back end still likes to step out nicely which is what I really liked about the B14 setup (always very controllable). There is a little more initial understeer that I have to be cautious of because of the lack of give with the first flick of the wheel, but other than that I'm VERY happy with the results.

I don't plan on changing the rear springs anytime soon, but I could easily say that running a 325 or 350lbs spring would work well if you want to keep the rear end more planted. My primary concern is with a ride more capable of dealing with rough roads and daily driving than pure track driving.

P.S. I don't run camber plates up front, I run camber bolts plus crash bolts on the strut. I do run the Subaru Group-N tophats though.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kostamojen For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (02-12-2016), Hyper4mance2k (03-07-2016), JoeHK (02-12-2016), Ro_Ja (02-12-2016), Shankenstein (02-15-2016), smg1138 (02-12-2016), strat61caster (02-12-2016), xxBrun0xx (05-23-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #88
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
The second reason was for the ride, which some people have said is "bumpy" with the B14's. I knew it couldn't be because of the Bilstein shocks, cause they are quality shocks themselves. It had to be the springs!
I'm starting to think that a big part of the ride quality is Bilstein's extremely conservative bump stops. Stock the 86 has ~3" of bump travel, numbers kind of swing all over the place but this thread is currently claiming 2.5"

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26661

Bilstein uses their own bumpstop up front which iirc is ~60mm and reuses the stock rear which is ~50mm, so if you lower the car 1" off of 3" inches of travel and the bump stops are basically ~2" long... well the conclusion is that the B14/B16 pretty much sit on the bump stops at all times.

Can that design work effectively? Yes. Does it? I'm not so sure. I should have mine together beginning of next month.

I have a hunch your improved front end feel is partly due to it being less bumpstop active, but if you're car is super low than a stiffer spring won't change that. But it's pretty much spot on what I posted a few days ago to just get 60mm springs and top hat adapters and your total cost was probably ~$100 for each front end with the spring at ~$80 and the top hats from Racecomp at $25 each which is a pretty economical upgrade imo.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
burdickjp (02-13-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #89
burdickjp

Drives: 2013 ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
As promised, feedback on my little project, converting the front springs of the B14's over to Linear springs...

Parts used -

KW take-off Upper Spring perches from Racecomp: http://www.racecompengineering.com/i...bled-sets.html

Swift Springs from FRsport: Z60-203-040 (60mm, 8" tall, 224lbs)

Pics:

Before -

After -

As you can see, the Swift springs are much smaller than the progressive springs. At first I thought I would need to raise the perch half an inch to compensate for the shorter springs, but that was NOT the case! Keep the spring perches where you have them at if you do this, just swap the springs and adjust if needed!

Impressions -

The main reason I did this was that with the B14's I've noticed since I've had them that they have a hesitation with initial turn in. IE the steering actually felt unresponsive to start with, and then after a split second finally responds. It actually made the car have less steering wheel feedback IMO.

As soon as I pulled out of the driveway, I IMMEDIATELY noticed quicker steering response!!! The steering feel itself had improved quite a bit, there was NO MORE hesitation during initial turn in! I test drove the car around the block and indeed it has improved.

After that, I drove it on some roads I commute every day on and the ride has improved as well albeit not as noticeable. I test drove it on the freeway and also, the ride has improved. Driving in a straight line on the freeway actually feels better too.

Upon further test driving, the back end still likes to step out nicely which is what I really liked about the B14 setup (always very controllable). There is a little more initial understeer that I have to be cautious of because of the lack of give with the first flick of the wheel, but other than that I'm VERY happy with the results.

I don't plan on changing the rear springs anytime soon, but I could easily say that running a 325 or 350lbs spring would work well if you want to keep the rear end more planted. My primary concern is with a ride more capable of dealing with rough roads and daily driving than pure track driving.

P.S. I don't run camber plates up front, I run camber bolts plus crash bolts on the strut. I do run the Subaru Group-N tophats though.
I'm curious what your alignment looked like.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk
burdickjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #90
getbent

Drives: 2013 FR-S Blue MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
RCE has there been any update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
If you guys are able to wait just a couple of weeks, we may have something interesting for you.

- Andrew

getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getbent For This Useful Post:
JoeHK (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #91
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
RCE has there been any update?
I'll spill the beans a little bit. We will be releasing a custom valved Bilstein non-ajustable coilover soon with 400 lbs/in springs (linear) soon. Price is more than B14s but remember these are custom valved with custom linear springs. From our testing...AWESOME ride quality and performance that's great too. Good simple fun set up.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
-Phil (02-15-2016), ajc209 (02-16-2016), DocWalt (02-17-2016), Kostamojen (02-15-2016), Markiv (02-15-2016), Pat (02-14-2016), Ro_Ja (02-15-2016), Shankenstein (02-15-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 05:53 PM   #92
JoeHK

Drives: Raven Toyota GT86
Garage
Quote:
I'll spill the beans a little bit. We will be releasing a custom valved Bilstein non-ajustable coilover soon with 400 lbs/in springs (linear) soon. Price is more than B14s but remember these are custom valved with custom linear springs. From our testing...AWESOME ride quality and performance that's great too. Good simple fun set up.

- Andrew

Sounds very promising but what about us (most of the guys in this thread probably) who already own a set of B14 of B16's
Would you recommend just switching the top spring perches and get some linear swift springs because i'm not about to sell my coilovers
I mean, i still need the linear springs so i guess best bet would be to get the spring perches from you guys and then find swift springs just like someone did a couple of posts above right?

I must say though your custom bilstein option sounds very interesting and if i didn't live across the pond and hadn't bought my coilovers yet i'd definitely be the first in line to buy them

Sent from my Potato using Tomato
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeHK For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #93
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeHK View Post
Sounds very promising but what about us (most of the guys in this thread probably) who already own a set of B14 of B16's
Would you recommend just switching the top spring perches and get some linear swift springs because i'm not about to sell my coilovers
I mean, i still need the linear springs so i guess best bet would be to get the spring perches from you guys and then find swift springs just like someone did a couple of posts above right?

I must say though your custom bilstein option sounds very interesting and if i didn't live across the pond and hadn't bought my coilovers yet i'd definitely be the first in line to buy them

Sent from my Potato using Tomato
We are working on putting together a spring and top perch package together for those that already have B14s. The rates would be a good bit softer than our custom coilovers since you'd be without the revalve but it should be a nice combo. It'll take a little more time.

- Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
JoeHK (02-14-2016), Ro_Ja (02-15-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #94
getbent

Drives: 2013 FR-S Blue MT
Will these include top-hats?

Quote:

- Andrew

getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #95
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Will these include top-hats?
No, optional camber plates but you can use stock mounts.

- Andrew
Old 02-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #96
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
What kind of tire would pair well with a 400lb spring? I'm on 225 MPSS at the moment.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #97
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
What kind of tire would pair well with a 400lb spring? I'm on 225 MPSS at the moment.
It's good to analyze grip level vs effective wheel rate.

Dimensions: From stock, you're increasing the contact patch by 9% (7.5" to 8.2").

Compound: The compound is designed for more grip, and based on C/D's test (LINK to PDF), it's probably ~20% more grip.

You may see lateral forces ~30% more than stock, so a good set of lowering springs would be sufficient for your current setup.

For 400 lb/in springs, that's 3x stiffer up front and 2x stiffer in the rear (for a Toyota FR-S). They will be stiff, but dampers will determine if this is back-breaking or buttery smooth. Either way, your sway bars and bump stops will be less relevant (a good thing, in my opinion).

If this is a daily driver (with lots of potholes and hopping curbs)... this may not be ideal. For "street" tires (Direzza, RS3, RE71R, Rivals up to 245 width) with bolt-on power levels (200-250 hp), this is a fine choice. If you're pushing 300+ rwhp and R-compounds, you'll want more.

TL;DR - 400 lbs/in springs will be stiff... but it's OK with your current setup and will be future-proof for upgrades to tires and power. Once you transform into a track monster, a revalve and new springs are in order.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 PM   #98
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
Quote:

- Andrew
Since you spilled the beans... these will be some very nice setups. Depending on which springs you opt for will determine if they will be motorsports or street bias.

We originally tried the B14s for Spec 86 Cup but they proved way way too soft for competition.

The RCE guys have come through with some nice units. If we can get on a track soon we will have even more feedback for them.

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZP Installs For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (02-17-2016)