follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #57
Soravia

Drives: Miata Club
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
The Audi B5/B5.5 shift throw is like 2-3 times longer than the BRZ
I had B6 and they both feel about the same when I drove the FR-S. Maybe because I drove it right after I got out of my Miata? The FR-S was definitely not short throw. S2K had the shortest I've driven, Miata comes second.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #58
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hell of a Porsche sir! That is life ^.^ Hopefully when I grow up, I can afford to play cars like that before I die.
Whitigir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whitigir For This Useful Post:
orthojoe (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #59
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Garage
beautiful car and congrats.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
m.wood0213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #60
Soravia

I like the hump-back look of the Boxter Spyder. Fantastic.
orthojoe (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #61
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
[QUOTE=orthojoe;925471]I've got the the roadster version of the cayman (ie boxster) and will say that I love both of the cars.

Things I like better about the BRZ:
1) The steering wheel. Absolutely fantastic
2) Short shifter (my spyder was not equipped with the optional short shifter)
3) better gas mileage
4) better daily driver

Things I like better about the boxster spyder
1) exotic looking and rare
2) flat 6 sound. Nothing beats it
3) Performance.
4) better weekend/track car

Both are fun to drive on the street and the track. There's no doubt that the boxster/cayman outperforms the BRZ in every way possible, but on the street and everyday driving it's really not that important. People like to bag on the BRZ interior, but I honestly think it's a great interior. Deviated stitching everywhere, great seats, good layout and positioning. I don't get out of the Porsche, sit in the BRZ and say "gee, this interior sucks". No way. If I had to choose between a cayman and BRZ, it would be a Cayman without batting an eye. However, both have a distinctive and important role to play in the automotive world.

Thanks for this! Although in my neighborhood...the boxster isnt rare...at all lol. In fact on my way home i saw 4 including the 2013 which is undoubtly a beautiful car. Acutally i was driving behind one the other day and more people were breaking their necks to look at the BRZ than the boxster lol but im sure most places thats not the case and even more sure in 3 years when this car becomes more common it definitely wont be the case. Either way...good write up and good taste in cars.:happy0180:
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cameronghanson For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (05-12-2013), orthojoe (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #62
orthojoe

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameronghanson View Post

Thanks for this! Although in my neighborhood...the boxster isnt rare...at all lol. In fact on my way home i saw 4 including the 2013 which is undoubtly a beautiful car. Acutally i was driving behind one the other day and more people were breaking their necks to look at the BRZ than the boxster lol but im sure most places thats not the case and even more sure in 3 years when this car becomes more common it definitely wont be the case. Either way...good write up and good taste in cars.:happy0180:
Thanks! I guess I should have clarified that when I mentioned exotic/rare, I meant the Boxster Spyder specifically. There's only about 700 examples of this car in the united states. With the humped backs, it definitely gives the car an exotic look without an exotic price. (BTW, I'm originally from Michigan)
Old 05-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #63
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Thanks! I guess I should have clarified that when I mentioned exotic/rare, I meant the Boxster Spyder specifically. There's only about 700 examples of this car in the united states. With the humped backs, it definitely gives the car an exotic look without an exotic price. (BTW, I'm originally from Michigan)
no doubt. Awesome car for sure. ps ortho joe wouldnt be a hint to you being involved in orthopedics would it?
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #64
Soravia

Your Spyder, does it come with only Bikini top? Or is it something else different?
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #65
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soravia View Post
Your Spyder, does it come with only Bikini top? Or is it something else different?
The boxster spyder only comes with the 2 piece manual bikini roof top. It's a stripped down, lightweight version of the boxster. Curb weight comes in at 2811lb and has 320 hp.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #66
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbie View Post
Seems like we got a lot of Porsche enthusiasts on the forum. Am I the only one who thinks they are far overpriced and dislikes the infamous body style? Its solely a personal preference, I have nothing against Porsche owners/fans and can't speak on the cars themselves as I have never driven one. Its just besides the Carrera GT and 918 Spyder, none of their models really appeal to me.

Well, drive one, live with one and then you will fall in love with it. Overpriced? What is overpriced for some is really well priced for others. it all depends on personal financial capability. Infamous body style? You mean the body style that has defined Porsche unlike any other car? If the shape would've been Prius like...then I would've understand. But it is not. Hmmm!
It is a personal preference but to judge a car purely on its price and body that might not appeal to you but appeals to millions it's just silly.
They are great practical, sports cars. BRZ/FR-s is very similar...but it lacks few things but than again Porsche has a history, brz/frs hasnt, or if it has, than Toyota hasnt used it at its full potential.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #67
orthojoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
Well, drive one, live with one and then you will fall in love with it. Overpriced? What is overpriced for some is really well priced for others. it all depends on personal financial capability. Infamous body style? You mean the body style that has defined Porsche unlike any other car? If the shape would've been Prius like...then I would've understand. But it is not. Hmmm!
It is a personal preference but to judge a car purely on its price and body that might not appeal to you but appeals to millions it's just silly.
They are great practical, sports cars. BRZ/FR-s is very similar...but it lacks few things but than again Porsche has a history, brz/frs hasnt, or if it has, than Toyota hasnt used it at its full potential.
It's funny, but I totally know where he is coming from. If you had asked me only 3 days before I got my car if I would ever own a Porsche, the answer would have been 'no', for the exact same reasons he mentioned. However, after actually looking at the spyder in person, test driving one, and then owning one... my mind was forever changed about the brand.
Hawk77FT (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #68
Gregory Gawaran

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Looks beautiful! If I got the BRZ I would have gotten in that color as well. But Ultramarine on the FR-S was the shade I wanted. Welcome to the twins family!
Gregory Gawaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #69
BAE

Drives: BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I have been through somewhat similar series of car. I have had 997 C2S, E92 M3 and 2010 Nissan GT-R before my BRZ. I loved the looks and the sound of the Porsche, the comfort and the versatility of the M3, the brutal acceleration of the GT-R. But I honestly think the BRZ is the most fun to drive! Keep that in mind if you dream of a different car.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #70
Umbie

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk77FT View Post
Easy, guy. Never did I judge the car or say anything negative about the Porsche enthusiasts out there. I was simply surprised by the amount of Stuttgart fans on the forum, and was surprised that no one disliked the (infamous, notorious, well-known) look of the cars and thought the price is inflated like myself. I also said "I cannot judge the cars themselves as I have never driven one"... But let me ask you this, if you disliked the look of a vehicle, no matter how well it performs, would you still strive to own one? I know I wouldn't. I thought I worded my post in a way that wouldn't upset anyone, but I guess not.

Orthojoe, thanks for understanding where I'm coming from.
Umbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums