follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Drambeenie BRZ/86 Risers
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
djezlee
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 44
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Back-up Camera problems

Need some help trying to troubleshoot what's wrong with the stock back-up camera on my BRZ. After installing the DD917WS head unit and some sound deadener, it stopped working and there's no picture on the head unit. Where should I start with troubleshooting? Is there a fuse or relay that anyone is aware of?
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #2
yelsew
Little Member
 
yelsew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Drives: Bloo - The 13' BRZ
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 332
Thanks: 314
Thanked 316 Times in 181 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
From what I understand the backup camera output power from the Kenwood headunit is 12v but the stock headunit sends the camera 6v.Did you use a harness for the camera that would step down the voltage? Otherwise your camera might be fried.


https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2945196&postcount=11


^^^
__________________
<--- My Journal
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
People just need some #drivermod in their life.
yelsew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #3
djezlee
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 44
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm using the harness sold by Carbon Car Systems... I am really just trying to figure out how to troubleshoot where the fault might be. Where to start... fuse panel? Relay? checking cycles or resistance with a multimeter?
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
el-guapin
Senior Member
 
el-guapin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Drives: 2017 86 Steel 6AT
Location: WhoDat Nation!
Posts: 111
Thanks: 2
Thanked 45 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You can start by checking voltage at the head unit(12v). If you have a power step down and assuming it is working, then check the car side of the 28-pin harness(6v). If all good there then check voltage at the camera harness on trunk(6v)
__________________


el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 PM   #5
Vanilla Bear
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Check to see if your reverse lights come on. If they don't then you blew the fuse that controls the camera, backup lights, and I believe hill assist. That fuse is under the steering wheel and is a green one. If those all work then something else is wrong and you will have to check voltages like the others have suggested.



I have the same issue with my harness from Carbon with the 918ws unit and I am fairly certain something else is wrong with the cable.
Vanilla Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #6
djezlee
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 44
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you are having the same issue, maybe there is a wiring difference from the AU/JDM versions.
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:21 AM   #7
djezlee
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 44
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bear View Post
Check to see if your reverse lights come on. If they don't then you blew the fuse that controls the camera, backup lights, and I believe hill assist. That fuse is under the steering wheel and is a green one. If those all work then something else is wrong and you will have to check voltages like the others have suggested.



I have the same issue with my harness from Carbon with the 918ws unit and I am fairly certain something else is wrong with the cable.
I check the reverse lights... they still work. I will make sure I am getting 6v to the camera this weekend. More to come! BTW - is there a hill assist option available in our cars, I could have really used it in Stuttgart!
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
azonic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 17 BRZ
Location: South Australia
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
it'll be the cable, grab yourself a 12v to 6v voltage dropper and manually wire it up for the camera
azonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 02:19 AM   #9
djezlee
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 44
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azonic View Post
it'll be the cable, grab yourself a 12v to 6v voltage dropper and manually wire it up for the camera
Do you have experience with splicing Carbons cable to make that work? Or do you think connecting it on the trunk side will work.
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 PM   #10
azonic
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Drives: 17 BRZ
Location: South Australia
Posts: 28
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djezlee View Post
Do you have experience with splicing Carbons cable to make that work? Or do you think connecting it on the trunk side will work.
I looked at doing that but put it in the way too hard basket and did it on the car side of the loom. i'd already spliced into a 12v for the dash cam anyway
azonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 11:02 PM   #11
rvoll
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 329
Thanks: 182
Thanked 139 Times in 102 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You might want to look at this:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111866

Not only do you need a 12v to 6v converter, but you need to splice into the reverse wire. Did you do that? Was the unit spliced into the system or did you use an adapter? If you used an adapter, was it configured for the camera? The Kenwood uses a camera control terminal while the OEM camera does not. How did you connect the camera control terminal?

Unfortunately, there are no standards for the camera so each installation is custom. It is NOT just plug and play. The best solution would be to replace the OEM camera (which isn't that good anyway), with the Kenwood camera accessory. You'd have to run the wires through the car which would take some time to do, but it would work.

Good luck. I've installed several heads/cameras in my cars over the years, but have always purchased matched components and tried to find plug in adapters from people like Metra.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:54 AM   #12
djezlee
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
Posts: 44
Thanks: 13
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
You might want to look at this:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111866

Not only do you need a 12v to 6v converter, but you need to splice into the reverse wire. Did you do that? Was the unit spliced into the system or did you use an adapter? If you used an adapter, was it configured for the camera? The Kenwood uses a camera control terminal while the OEM camera does not. How did you connect the camera control terminal?

Unfortunately, there are no standards for the camera so each installation is custom. It is NOT just plug and play. The best solution would be to replace the OEM camera (which isn't that good anyway), with the Kenwood camera accessory. You'd have to run the wires through the car which would take some time to do, but it would work.

Good luck. I've installed several heads/cameras in my cars over the years, but have always purchased matched components and tried to find plug in adapters from people like Metra.
This link/thread doesn't talk about the Carbon adapter. https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop...17-subaru-brz/
djezlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:16 AM   #13
tobin
Senior Member
 
tobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Location: Northeast
Posts: 344
Thanks: 181
Thanked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The reverse camera wiring is super thin and pretty fragile. If you used a wire crimp, check that connection again. When I installed one on my '13, I crimped it down too hard and it severed the connection. I had to redo the crimp with a lighter touch.
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #14
rvoll
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 329
Thanks: 182
Thanked 139 Times in 102 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djezlee View Post
This link/thread doesn't talk about the Carbon adapter. https://carboncarsystems.com.au/shop...17-subaru-brz/
You are assuming the Carbon adapter is correct. I didn't see a 12v to 6v reducer on the Carbon adapter. I would contact them to ask them the questions I propounded because that's where I would first look. Remember, the BRZ is a low selling vehicle and the number of your particular Kenwood head would make only a couple of vehicles they prepared the loom for. You might even be the only one for your Kenwood model.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back up Camera BRZ ThucP DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides 3 04-06-2018 11:33 PM
Has anybody tried this back up camera Ornelas66 Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 3 03-12-2015 04:12 AM
FS: JDM BRZ Back-Up Camera Beyer Subaru Audio/Visual, Electronics, Infotainment, NAV 3 06-21-2013 10:55 AM
OEM Back up Camera Perihelion Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 11 03-25-2013 04:49 PM
DIY back-up camera? SloS13 Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 5 02-24-2013 02:14 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.