follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #1625
neilvosko

Drives: Hyper Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Great info, would you recommend the Catless instead, do JDL catless headers have better fitment than the catted ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco-REX View Post
Worked fine. The hose doesn't appear to have taken any damage, and I didn't notice any rise in coolant temps.

I still wouldn't buy this particular header again. Better to get one with a more conventional primary routing. I would like to get a different one, but it would be the third header for this car and this one is working fine now that I've made the modifications. I do wonder if the proximity of the other primary to the thermostat would make it open prematurely, but I haven't had any issues getting to operating temp in the summer. No idea about the winter.

For anyone feeling they would be willing to do the same I would HIGHLY recommend chancing at least this hose with a silicone one, even if using a wrap. I don't think a conventional rubber hose would last.
neilvosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:05 PM   #1626
neilvosko

Drives: Hyper Blue BRZ
after reading 117 pages of this post...i am curious, do JDL catless headers have better fitment than the catted ??? it seems like the catted headers had fitment issues on bottom plate and radiator ?
neilvosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #1627
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,470 Times in 765 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I can't speak for the catted header but my catless fits perfectly
DocWalt is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post:
JDLAutoDesign (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #1628
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
after reading 117 pages of this post...i am curious, do JDL catless headers have better fitment than the catted ??? it seems like the catted headers had fitment issues on bottom plate and radiator ?
My friend's catted JDL fit flawlessly, as did my uncatted. The people with fitment issues are pretty rare IMO for how many of these are on the market, and they do have an awesome warranty.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (10-28-2016), JDLAutoDesign (10-28-2016), neilvosko (10-28-2016), Teseo (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 02:34 PM   #1629
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilvosko View Post
I was one of the people to have issues with the catted header.

First of all, it's a pain in the ass to fit the bolts to the overpipe because the cat is right there and doesn't allow the bolts to go straight through, so you have to align everything up perfectly to be able to do it. But hey, you make it work. And it's worth it.

Second of all, my header was rattling against the skid plate. I told Jesse at JDL, he said the fixtures had somehow given in or something, so they made me a new set and replaced it free of cost. AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE.

The new one they sent me fit perfectly.

On a side note, they used to provide a 'paper gasket' that led to a small leak from the header to the stock overpipe, but they provide new ticker gaskets now that don't leak.

TLDR: there WERE fitment issues, but they resolved them and replaced the defective units free of charge
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tato.valverde For This Useful Post:
JDLAutoDesign (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #1630
JDLAutoDesign

Drives: 13 FRS
Thanked 1,437 Times in 652 Posts
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
There should not be any issues with fitment. We have over 1,000 Headers out there and they've evolved quite a bit over time. From CNC mandrel bent 1 piece runners to CNC laser cut collectors we've been able really up the consistency. However with that said these parts are still hand made 1 at time in our small shop. Sometimes things will slip through the cracks and if that does happen we do our best to make it right.

Jesse
JDLAutoDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #1631
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
is the 2.5" inner or outer diameter? If outer, what is the thickness of the steel or in other words what is the inner diameter? I want to pair the catback with the proper piping so I have no "steps" in the system. Thanks
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:10 AM   #1632
Jidonsu

Drives: Scion FR-S | 6MT | Ultramarine
So I finally got around to installing a set of the uncatted EL headers that I ordered last September two days ago. I can't say that everything was smooth. I ran into some fitment issues during the install process.

1. The holes in the header flange didn't quite line up with the six studs on the engine block. Out came the carbide bit to enlarge the holes a bit to make it fit.

2. The v-band that held upper piece of the header ends up touching the radiator support. Anyone else run into this issue? It's probably contributing a bit to the rasp/rattle I hear at some rpms. I'm thinking of bending a part of the radiator support of the way for a bit of clearance.

3. I'm still on the stock intake system, so one of the lower resonators (?) ended up resting against the top of the header portion that routes up behind the radiator, so it'll just melt if I left it like that. I ended up pulling the plastic piece out of the way with a ziptie and Amazon Prime delivered a silicone intake tube less than two days later to fix the issue. Still, that kinda sucks.

Aside from those issues, I'm happy with the effect of the headers plus a tune so far. I'm not going to go into details regarding the benefits of the headers with a tune, but it definitely makes what was a fun car even more fun to drive. My gas mileage is going to suck for sure.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:49 AM   #1633
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
With the bolts--the ones used to bolt in the header with the over pipe--that are supplied with the header, what size are they?
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #1634
SillySaxon

Drives: Sc10n Series FR-S
Garage
I recently installed the Catted 3" Over-Frontpipe combo pipe that has the clamp.
This thing is a beautiful piece of metal I will say.

I had a few fitment issues since i Have stock catback and Borla V3 UELs.

The main issue i had at first was the clamp was touching the engine block and the sub frame. I fixed that by remounting it with the front flange a bit higher.
This brought on a second issue. The pipe touched the floor pan of the passenger side and the very front inner corner.
To remedy this I had to loosen the clamp and the bolts to the catback, rotate the pipe slightly. Then I used a slightly smaller bolt and nut combo to attach it to th eexhaust hanger bracket in the middle. It doesn't end up being flush but you can impact it down really tight. It has been a dream ever since.

The sound is amazing, very loud and very rumbly with a good "rasp" that you'd expect out of a straight piped car. It has a noticeable change in the way it revs too. A bit stuttery on the low end as is expected with big pipes on NA, but soon as I hit 3K rpm it revs out quite a bit faster than the stock did, and when letting off the gas in gear it holds rpms longer and more gradually falls off. Love it
Old 04-26-2017, 11:33 PM   #1635
voyager2285

Drives: WRB BRZ
Hi all,

I'm trying to decide what exactly to get, wondering if you guys can help me out. I'd like to get rid of the torque dip, and have a small subie rumble at the same time. A bit louder than stock, not too much. It will be my DD with occasional track days. So I'm thinking...

JDL UEL catted header w/ titanium coating
JDL OP
JUL FP catted w/ resonator, donut flange

Future: Q300 catback?

I'm looking for sound like this one http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1339 (yes I've gone through all 117 pages) Will this setup work?

Thanks!
voyager2285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:08 AM   #1636
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Is running the catless UEL with the stock OP a problem? I'm seeing a bunch of posts in this thread claiming bad seals and strange noises.

I just received mine, and didn't plan on upgrading the OP/FP yet!
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:14 AM   #1637
Hurricanehank
Banned

Drives: Oceanic 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistople View Post
Is running the catless UEL with the stock OP a problem? I'm seeing a bunch of posts in this thread claiming bad seals and strange noises.

I just received mine, and didn't plan on upgrading the OP/FP yet!
Yes i had a leak with the provided gasket. Get yourself the metal gasket from the subaru dealer and do it right the first time. Also you on oft or ecutek?
Hurricanehank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:19 AM   #1638
mistople

Drives: 2017 BRZ (Sold), 2023 GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanehank View Post
Yes i had a leak with the provided gasket. Get yourself the metal gasket from the subaru dealer and do it right the first time. Also you on oft or ecutek?
I read they started using Vibrant gaskets at some point. What were they using before?

EcuTek + Delicious
mistople is offline   Reply With Quote