follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-08-2016, 03:06 AM   #113
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Limited Backup Camera Step by Step (WARNING long post, many pictures)

I just got the thing installed, it's not hard looking back.... It's just a lot easier then I thought it would be looking back.

But I have a problem thou..... How to get rid of the lines on the camera? >__> Not the headunit lines since our headunit already has the proper line in it since our camera sits on the side instead of center of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #114
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
I just got the thing installed, it's not hard looking back.... It's just a lot easier then I thought it would be looking back.

But I have a problem thou..... How to get rid of the lines on the camera? >__> Not the headunit lines since our headunit already has the proper line in it since our camera sits on the side instead of center of the vehicle.

i installed mine with Rydeen Mini instead of Duo.
i put camera center right below Subaru emblem
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #115
brzzy
@anthonysestito

Drives: 2013 Sterling Silver Metallic BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Haven't finished reading through this thread but I wonder if this will work on the pioneer headunits?

IG: @ANTHONYSESTITO
brzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #116
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post

There's one wire you can cut/disconnect/whatever that will remove the lines from the camera display. I installed a rydeen duo and I think it was the white one. Sorry i can't help more than that.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kch For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-10-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #117
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The lower bolts that hold the head unit go to metal framework in the dash and thus can be a convenient earth point. The upper bolts are no good as they go to metal clips the clips over plastic.

Last edited by notout86; 09-18-2016 at 09:04 PM.
notout86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #118
superjer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you to the OP for that incredible DIY. I just installed a cam in my Canadian 2016 (Canadian 2016 BRZs do not come with a backup camera) with the FA743CS head-unit.

I ended up purchasing the full kit (CS-SUBRZ-132) from Camera Source. I know you can assemble pieces in the kit separately for cheaper, but this seemed the easiest and the camera it comes with is 6V so no requirement to find other power / ground.

If anybody is looking to do the same thing, I had pull my head unit first to determine that my head unit had a 16-pin connector. The harness they sent had a pass through to attach the pre-existing plug which I believe recognizes the e-brake position.

My car already had the reverse wire sensor connected (noted that before the install by checking the diagnostics screen).

Install probably took ~3 hours. Some of the tips that were super helpful included using soap to lubricate the wires to pass through some of the rubber conduits, including the conduit to the trunk. I had previously installed a camera in our old Sienna and that trick would have saved me lots of time.

I will need to adjust the backup lines at some point, but that's a future project. Next up is trying to retrofit a Gentex 536 mirror onto the mirror mount and installing a dash cam.
superjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:54 PM   #119
tobin

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Many many thanks to OP for this post. It was extremely helpful. I installed a Camera Source kit on my '13 BRZ today and the thorough instructions in this post were fantastic...the ones that came with the kit don't explain anything beyond the basic wiring on the head unit. Awesome post!
tobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 AM   #120
z2two

Drives: Frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzzy View Post
Haven't finished reading through this thread but I wonder if this will work on the pioneer headunits?

yes I installed it on my avic 940bt. You might need a different harness though
z2two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #121
bkstarx1

Drives: 14 WRB BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXdc View Post
Rydeen's cameras have dual power leads. The two red wires are electrically tied together. You can use either one to send power to the camera. Just don't try to feed power into both leads.

Rydeen's intention was that you power the camera by tapping your reverse lights wire (near the camera), to the lead labeled "To reverse light power" (at the top of your picture). The second lead, labeled "Reverse power anode output" (at bottom of your picture), would be available to provide the reverse gear signal to an aftermarket head unit or monitor screen.

You'll want to use the lead poking out of the RCA plug. Connect that to the 6V power lead on my rear camera harness. Then just insulate the red lead near the camera.

Attach their ground lead to a good chassis ground point somewhere within reach of that lead.

BTW, thank you for putting together that composite picture of Rydeen's harnesses!
Reviving this old thread but I am trying to install a Natika back up camera and still a little confused about the wiring. Should I be using the red wire from the yellow RCA instead of the power wire to connect to the 16 pin harness I bought? Do I simply not connect the other red wire to power if I do?
bkstarx1 is offline   Reply With Quote