follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
sroby

Drives: 2015 Firestorm 08/05/15
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No 1st gear or 2nd gear

I need some input(help). 2015 model 2400 miles on it bought it new last year. I simply pulled the car out of the garage, to take my Grandson for a ride this morning in the North Ga mountains. It went into 1st gear I pulled out of the garage, put it in neutral, brake on. Put my grandson in his booster seat, we are all set to go I push in the clutch go to put in 1st gear It feels kind of of notchy and then I hear a slight pop, sounds like it came from the shifter area. I attempt to go and it is in 3dr gear not 1st. I pull it back into neutral try it again, 3rd gear. pull it into 2nd, and its in 4th. I rollout slightly slipped the clutch in third to get underway and 3 4 5 6 work as advertised. I have no 1st or 2nd. The shifter seems to be way loose and not as tight as it had seemed to be. I remember the last couple of drives It had started to feel notchy and hard to shift into 2nd. Has anybody experienced anything similar to this? There is no rattling coming from the transmission, however I did notice a little noise coming from the shifter while I was at 50 mph in 5 th gear. I just put my hand on the shifter and noise would go away. I do have the trd short shifter kit. It almost feels like something from the shifter area came loose. I am hoping nothing in the trans has gone bad. I have never redlined the car or missed any shifts. Any input will help ease my mind. I am taking it to the dealer in the morning. Thanks so much Steve
sroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I will say with 100% confidence that it is shifter related. Probably a very simple fix as well. Let us know what the dealer has to say.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It sounds like you need a trip to the Toyota dealership for new transmission under warranty, or at least for whatever part might have broken.

No these conditions do not seem normal. Sounds like something broke under normal operating conditions. You should not have trouble shifting 1st-2nd, especially given the car is still like new and it's in the warm summer months.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:20 AM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroby View Post
I need some input(help)................. I do have the trd short shifter kit. It almost feels like something from the shifter area came loose. ..................
Yep, I reckon something in the short shifter mechanism came unglued .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 01:49 AM   #5
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Yep, I reckon something in the short shifter mechanism came unglued .....

humfrz
Did you install the short shifter yourself?
If so, take the assembly apart and look at it

Something either came apart or is out of adjustment-- it is just not selecting the 1-2 gate.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:39 PM   #6
sroby

Thanks so much for the feed guys. I have done all of the mods myself with the exception of the trd shifter kit. The dealer installed the shifter kit when I purchased the car. With my recent bi lateral hip surgery I knew it would be a bit before I was able to get down in my back and facilitate the mod. I sure am hoping and praying it is the shifter issue and not the trans. I will keep you all posted as I am taking it to Cobb county Toyota in Kennesaw Ga Monday. I did not purchase the vehicle from them, however I understand 3 of their techs drive frs,s I stopped by and spoke with Zach one of the service advisers. I explained to him what I had going on, He told me to stand by as he went and got their lead tech. They stopped what they were doing came out and talked to me explaining what they thought might be the problem. He said just like you guys suggested. I would bring it to them on Monday they would check the shifter and if not the problem they would head to the trans. Again thx so much Best regards Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-20-2016), Tcoat (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
sroby

I had the FRS at Cobb county Toyota at 0830. I live 20 miles from them. Didn't buy the car from them, They took me all the way home. I cannot say enough positive things about this dealer. By the time I get home the service adviser calls. The lead tech initially diagnosed that it is the shifter. I drove back up there in my truck. They take me back to him and the car and he says it looks live the 1st and 2 nd gear cable/and rod. I am looking over into the shifter and he shows me the reverse lock out tab is good to go. I thought maybe something had gone wrong there as I heard a distinct pop coming out of reverse to 1st. He shows me by moving the shifter ever so slightly he can get it to go into 1st and strait back to 2nd. Then if you try it with normal rhythm 1st to 2nd its strait into 3rd no 1st. Its definitely tight in there. It was close to 1100 when I got back there so they were getting ready for an early lunch. He thought if everything went ok he would be done by 5pm. He did state that if that didn't fix it, then more than likely they would have to put a trans in it. I am keeping my fingers crossed and will update later on this evening. Thanks again in advance for this forum, its content and the unlimited amount of help and support you get from members here. Steve
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-22-2016), Tcoat (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 06:15 PM   #8
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Steve, I didn't pipe in because it seemed like you were on the right track. Just to be sure, I'll ask if you can rotate the shift lever at all. By that I mean even the slightest amount. If there is any rotational play then the short shift adapter came loose. This is a common issue with those things.

If the adapter is tight then yes, likely the lockout tab is out of adjustment. Ask your guy if he adjusted it for both the first, and second gear gates. It can be tricky to get it just right.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:13 PM   #9
sroby

Update, I picked the car up this evening and it is good to go. Ultramaroon, you were spot on. It looks like that is exactly what happen. The trd adapter bolt had backed out letting it slip of the end of shifter. The tech there at the dealership called me and told me it must not have been torqued to proper spec. He adjusted up the linkage and every thing is working as advertised. Norville, this is directed to you my friend. The trd shifter kit was installed by the dealer as part of the sale. You are absolutely correct, however your rush to assumption that I had installed it was your error. 3 days prior to me purchasing the car after an 8 yr battle with the Veterans Administration I found out that I had won my case and I was having Bilateral hip replacement surgery. I was on my 3rd deployment in Iraq when I was pinned by a large K-loader against the ramp of my c-130 which I was the crew chief. Ironically it was an accident by fellow coalition British counterpart by not being trained on that particular piece of equipment. No hard feelings. None the less I knew I was going to be out of commission for a bit and would not be able to get up under the car to do the job. It is a o k. And I have recovered nicely as my 5 year old grandson has approved. He even helped me install my sway bars, springs. Koni adjustable shocks. Thanks again. Best regards Steve
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sroby For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-23-2016), Drakiv (08-23-2016), humfrz (08-23-2016), murdoc (08-22-2016), Tcoat (08-23-2016), Traffic (08-23-2016), Ultramaroon (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #10
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Update, I picked the car up this evening and it is good to go. Ultramaroon, you were spot on. It looks like that is exactly what happen. The trd adapter bolt had backed out letting it slip of the end of shifter. The tech there at the dealership called me and told me it must not have been torqued to proper spec. He adjusted up the linkage and every thing is working as advertised.
It will back out again and it won't take long. No worries, though. When you take it back either have them remove it putting it back to stock, or get some red loctite onto those threads.

Best wishes, man!
Old 08-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #11
humfrz

Quote:
........................... I was on my 3rd deployment in Iraq when I was pinned by a large K-loader against the ramp of my c-130 which I was the crew chief. .....
Good to hear you car is shifting OK now .......

Thank you for your service to our country ......

humfrz
Old 08-23-2016, 01:06 AM   #12
humfrz

Quote:
............... Norville, this is directed to you my friend. The trd shifter kit was installed by the dealer as part of the sale. You are absolutely correct, however your rush to assumption that I had installed it was your error. 3 days prior to me purchasing the car after an 8 yr battle with the Veterans Administration I found out that I had won my case and I was having Bilateral hip replacement surgery. I was on my 3rd deployment in Iraq when I was pinned by a large K-loader against the ramp of my c-130 which I was the crew chief.................
@Norville Rogers ..... I just wanted to make sure you were able to pick this out of @sroby 's post ....... since apparently you have difficulty with long paragraphs ......

humfrz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (08-23-2016), Traffic (08-23-2016), Ultramaroon (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #13
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Update, I picked the car up this evening and it is good to go. Ultramaroon, you were spot on. It looks like that is exactly what happen. The trd adapter bolt had backed out letting it slip of the end of shifter. The tech there at the dealership called me and told me it must not have been torqued to proper spec. He adjusted up the linkage and every thing is working as advertised. Norville, this is directed to you my friend. The trd shifter kit was installed by the dealer as part of the sale. You are absolutely correct, however your rush to assumption that I had installed it was your error. 3 days prior to me purchasing the car after an 8 yr battle with the Veterans Administration I found out that I had won my case and I was having Bilateral hip replacement surgery. I was on my 3rd deployment in Iraq when I was pinned by a large K-loader against the ramp of my c-130 which I was the crew chief. Ironically it was an accident by fellow coalition British counterpart by not being trained on that particular piece of equipment. No hard feelings. None the less I knew I was going to be out of commission for a bit and would not be able to get up under the car to do the job. It is a o k. And I have recovered nicely as my 5 year old grandson has approved. He even helped me install my sway bars, springs. Koni adjustable shocks. Thanks again. Best regards Steve
Glad it was indeed simple!
You can check in here if interested - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76061
Ultramaroon (08-23-2016)
Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
Traffic

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited Automatic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
@Norville Rogers ..... I just wanted to make sure you were able to pick this out of @sroby 's post ....... since apparently you have difficulty with long paragraphs ......

humfrz
Traffic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traffic For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-23-2016)