follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #127
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hey Extra, how slow were you going to be able to see them hit you look at the gun and hit you again? And how on earth do you possibly know that they didn't believe you were going the limit?
Logic.

When I'm in my Jeep or a rental car and get hit with radar, it's one hit. Then they move on to the next target.

When I'm in the BRZ, several times it has been multiple hits. So either they're having a really hard time getting a lock on me, which wouldn't make any sense since the surfaces facing the radar are steel and aluminum; or they think the reading they got was wrong, and they try again. I can't really think of any other reason to hit me multiple times in this car and not in other cars. When you drive as much as I do with a radar detector, you start to pick up on these patterns.

And yes, one of those times I was close enough and going slow enough to see the fucking cop point a handheld gun at me through his windshield, look at it and point it at me again. I was going 25 in a 35 that time because the shitty Louisiana road I was on outside of Lafayette was full of potholes. He must not have been much of a speed "expert" if his judgment of my speed was that far off when I was going that slow.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:45 PM   #128
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Thanks, but I do now have a new radar detector ..... it's called mrs humfrz and it goes SQUAWK-SQUAWK-SQUAWK ........ any time I go over the speed limit ..... followed by a reminder of what she could have bought for her granddaughters with the $125.

humfrz

Wait...that sounds more like the passenger airbag.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:09 PM   #129
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOHOME View Post
Wait...that sounds more like the passenger airbag.
Oh, my ......

I hope mrs humfrz doesn't see your post ........ or you will be in sooooo much trouble ........

Nothing much worse than having a retired, female school teacher, with loads of free time on her hands, and i-pad with high speed wireless Internet access and stainless steel fingers ....... following you around the Internet ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #130
Bamsterman

Drives: 13' Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, my ......

I hope mrs humfrz doesn't see your post ........ or you will be in sooooo much trouble ........

Nothing much worse than having a retired, female school teacher, with loads of free time on her hands, and i-pad with high speed wireless Internet access and stainless steel fingers ....... following you around the Internet ......

humfrz
This sounds like me when I get older. Lol My wife is already a teacher. Fortunately, our little boy takes up alot of her time...for now....
Bamsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamsterman For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 05:21 PM   #131
Fishbed77

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
But lol if the trooper really said he "clocked" you. Last I checked there's not a single clock anywhere inside a RADAR unit.
Every single radar ever made has a clock of some sort.

That's how radars work - by measuring the time it takes for a transmitted microwave signal to go out, bounce off an object, and return to a receiver. By comparison of these returns, an object's speed can be determined.

Fishbed77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishbed77 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-22-2015), Tcoat (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #132
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Oh, my ......

humfrz

Well that would explain some of your odder posts!
humfrz (09-22-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #133
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Reality check...

I don't think this is a case of profiling.. I think it's a case of someone getting nabbed by radar or lidar at 13 over the posted maximum.

By the time his equipment nailed you, he would have had to have Hawk eyes to get enough information about your rig -- or you through the windshield -- to do any sort of profiling.

My guess, you slow down and the odds of getting another speeding ticket will go down and you won't have to feel so profiled.

Something to consider... every ticket and accident that gets put into the giant insurance computer in the clouds just works towards changing the overall rating of the FRS/BRZ/86 for ALL 86 owners in USA -- and not in a good way. So when the insurance on our rigs go up... we'll know who to thank!

And... I'm not flaming you... cuz I'm just as guilty as you... I like to drive my FRS fast and luckily, my radar detector has helped keep me ticket-free for over 2 years. (Of course... I've now jinxed myself.... sigh....)
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW FRS For This Useful Post:
swfrs (09-25-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #134
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
Every single radar ever made has a clock of some sort.

Still doesn't make it ok to shoot at airplanes with a pitching machine.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:53 AM   #135
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW FRS View Post
I don't think this is a case of profiling.. I think it's a case of someone getting nabbed by radar or lidar at 13 over the posted maximum.

By the time his equipment nailed you, he would have had to have Hawk eyes to get enough information about your rig -- or you through the windshield -- to do any sort of profiling.

My guess, you slow down and the odds of getting another speeding ticket will go down and you won't have to feel so profiled.

Something to consider... every ticket and accident that gets put into the giant insurance computer in the clouds just works towards changing the overall rating of the FRS/BRZ/86 for ALL 86 owners in USA -- and not in a good way. So when the insurance on our rigs go up... we'll know who to thank!

And... I'm not flaming you... cuz I'm just as guilty as you... I like to drive my FRS fast and luckily, my radar detector has helped keep me ticket-free for over 2 years. (Of course... I've now jinxed myself.... sigh....)
Well, now, @PNW FRS, first off ...... you're sounding a lot like mrs humfrz .....

Secondly, I got the ticket "deferred", so it's not recorded with the Department of Licensing nor to the insurance "cloud", so I haven’t contributed to any increase in insurance rates.

Thirdly, I drove my miata for 88,000 miles and my FR-S for 14,000 miles and that was my first ticket in a sports type car .....

So, I'm sure, now that mrs humfrz set my rev light (and wired it to a shock collar) for 3,000 rpms ...... I won't be doing to much ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
PNW FRS (09-25-2015), Tcoat (09-25-2015), Ultramaroon (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #136
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Profiling exists whether you want to believe it or not. There is a certain demographic that buys the 86. The police know this. The insurance companies with their actuarial tables and statistics know this. It is common nature to inadvertently or discreetly profile everyone and everything. Right or wrong ... It happens every day.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braces For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #137
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Profiling exists whether you want to believe it or not. There is a certain demographic that buys the 86. The police know this. The insurance companies with their actuarial tables and statistics know this. It is common nature to inadvertently or discreetly profile everyone and everything. Right or wrong ... It happens every day.
This is very true. The surprising part is that the Trooper didn't back right off when he found out how old Hum was and that he had a good record. Reverse profiling (old guy, long history, good record) can be used to your advantage sometimes.
Braces (09-25-2015), humfrz (09-25-2015), Ultramaroon (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #138
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is very true. The surprising part is that the Trooper didn't back right off when he found out how old Hum was and that he had a good record. Reverse profiling (old guy, long history, good record) can be used to your advantage sometimes.
Maybe he thought Humfrz was too old and senile to be driving and decided to investigate!?

Bring on the Ms.'s I'm ready
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fumanchu1 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-25-2015), Tcoat (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 10:28 PM   #139
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post

Quote:
Might've helped if he saw Mrs. humfrz lecturing him as he walked up.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:37 PM   #140
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post

Might've helped if he saw Mrs. humfrz lecturing him as he walked up.
Ha, if that happened with my wife in the car not only would I probably never get a ticket the cop would likely put a note against my plates to never pull me over just out of sheer pity.
The fact that I have never had a ticket or an accident where as she has had 4 tickets and rear ended a guy would not matter the second those lights started to roll in the mirror.
humfrz (09-26-2015)