follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #43
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Great build. Didn't know you had a thread.
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeybike For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #44
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybike View Post
Great build. Didn't know you had a thread.
I was lazy during the winter and mostly posted in the "what did you do to your bla bla today" thread.

Since I'm the impatient kind, I went ahead and installed the inlet tube and the high flow filter.

Went for a quick drive and love it. The response is improved. No more hesitation at 3k rpm, even in 4th and 5th gears. Then again, could have been a placebo effect or just the fact that the filter is new. All I know is the car felt strong

Now I've never even done my own oil changes, so when I say I felt brave enough to attempt to install the radium MBCB, I mean it. But it was simple enough. If I had all the right tools with me right away, It probably would have taken no longer than 15 minutes.

We'll see what effect it'll have on hard braking tomorrow.

But before that I went into the interior and swapped out the traction control buttons and the A/C console silver trim for black ones.

Here's what it looked like before.

And here's after. MUCH better

Install was a pain in the ass as expected but I've taken my interior apart enough times to know where all the screws are. Thanks for looking!
Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #45
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
like the tan seats, are you planning to do any other pieces in the interior?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #46
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
like the tan seats, are you planning to do any other pieces in the interior?
Thanks. Nah, there are no direct swap items available in the same colour and I can't really be bothered to go to an upholsterer. The seat covers, I would say, are temporary until I can afford nice sport seats that are light. Then I'll do a rear seat delete. That coupled with lighter front seats and getting rid of the seat covers will probably save me almost 100 lb
Old 05-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #47
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Thanks. Nah, there are no direct swap items available in the same colour and I can't really be bothered to go to an upholsterer. The seat covers, I would say, are temporary until I can afford nice sport seats that are light. Then I'll do a rear seat delete. That coupled with lighter front seats and getting rid of the seat covers will probably save me almost 100 lb
Same here already did my own inexpensive version of a rear seat delete saved about 25lbs. Was looking at NRG carbon fiber bucket seats that are 12lbs coupled with Buddy club sliders will make them 21 total per seat. Should save another 40lbs total for both seats
SuperTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #48
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
Same here already did my own inexpensive version of a rear seat delete saved about 25lbs. Was looking at NRG carbon fiber bucket seats that are 12lbs coupled with Buddy club sliders will make them 21 total per seat. Should save another 40lbs total for both seats
That's awesome. Yeah I'm not really looking to get anything fancy either. NRG, Corbeau and there's one other. Can't remember
Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #49
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Got some handling upgrades. Would like to get rid of the drivetrain slop and improve the shifting. After 34K km, I really have a good feel for the car and know exactly what I would like to improve. Getting these on in about 2 weeks or so and will post my review then. Although seeing as how they'll all be installed at the same time, it might be difficult to tell what did what.

MTEC shifter springs

Perrin shifter insert

Whiteline diff inserts and bushings

Whiteline transmission insert
Lococholo84 (06-27-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #50
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Check the above post to see what exactly I installed. Firstly, I should say I will review all the items together since I don't know how much of which effect can be attributed to what part. As soon as you get in and put the shifter into neutral, you notice the extra weight and tightness to the throw. It takes a bit more force to shift but the throw is much tighter, as if the gate was narrowed. Haven't decided yet if I like it or not. I'm guessing coupling it with a short shifter would work best.

The other thing you notice as soon as you start the car - noise! There is more noise and vibration. The good kinds though. Nothing jarring or annoying. You just get the impression that the car takes itself a bit more seriously. Backing up - again, more vibration in the lower rpms and some sounds you've never heard before. Keep in mind, my back seats are down and trunk liner/foam are all removed. Driving impressions are great. Car feels stiff, as if the entire structure has been reinforced. Drivetrain slop has been lessened but not removed. Shifting is smoother now. And the best thing - the shifter rattle seems to have been completely eliminated. Labour was hefty though. About 2.5 hours for everything. Engine mounts are next.
monkeybike (07-16-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 03:34 PM   #51
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Oct 12:

Legsport - okay so I got this as a knockoff but took it to an excellent paint shop to paint it, and the finish is phenomenal. The shop is called Vaughan Fine Touch, and I HIGHLY recommend them. Will only go there from now on. They sealed it, got rid of the wave in the material and polished it. Not like other shops where you get it with dust particles in the clear. Fit is obviously not 100% cause it is a knockoff, but considering I saved a big chunk, I'm alright with it.

Whiteline rear subframe bushings - there is a lot less of that herky jeeky seesaw movement between shifts and the turns are much better too. The NVH has increased, not by much (I already have the diff and tranny bushings and insert in place) but it is noticeable. Well worth it!
monkeybike (10-13-2018), new2subaru (10-12-2018), Vin (10-12-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #52
SuperTom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Oct 12:

Legsport - okay so I got this as a knockoff but took it to an excellent paint shop to paint it, and the finish is phenomenal. The shop is called Vaughan Fine Touch, and I HIGHLY recommend them. Will only go there from now on. They sealed it, got rid of the wave in the material and polished it. Not like other shops where you get it with dust particles in the clear. Fit is obviously not 100% cause it is a knockoff, but considering I saved a big chunk, I'm alright with it.

Whiteline rear subframe bushings - there is a lot less of that herky jeeky seesaw movement between shifts and the turns are much better too. The NVH has increased, not by much (I already have the diff and tranny bushings and insert in place) but it is noticeable. Well worth it!

The best wing for this car, follows the lines beautifully looks great
Old 10-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #53
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Quote:
The best wing for this car, follows the lines beautifully looks great
Thanks, I agree! The SARD is a close second, especially when paint matched.
SuperTom (10-13-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #54
Hikari1

Drives: 2016 BRZ Hikari
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Looks great man! Can't wait to see it out next year
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107326
Hikari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hikari1 For This Useful Post:
StraightOuttaCanadaEh (11-02-2018)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #55
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Today installed the Enkei Raijin Hyper Silver 18x9.5 with Firehawk Indy 255/35/18. The concavity is much more pronounced in person and I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw them. I have the 18x8 (or 8.5?) which will be my winter wheels now, and these almost look like different wheels. I tried for the longest time to decide between the NT03+M and I can’t remember what else and then realized why don’t I just get the same wheels but wider? Saw them on an FR-S that a dude at my gym drives and loved the way they looked. The wheel width and tire section are in preparation to future FI plans.

In other news, the Legsport flew off on the highway so after some deliberation, I decided to go with a more aggressive Aimgain GT wing coupled with Varis front lip and rear bumper plus a few other tweaks like maybe a diffuser and side skirts. I’m thinking I’ll stockpile all the parts and throw them all on at the same time. Would also like to get headers and a tune by the end of the summer.

wolffbite (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #56
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

ordered this Blitz cabin air filter from Japan (pic borrowed) because of its description about how it blocks this and that and is super effective - it performs only slightly better than OEM and not really worth the trouble. Ideally I would like an activated charcoal filter to clean the air when driving behind trucks and catless cars, but the only one I know is in Australia and they don't ship to the rest of the world.