follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #85
GrimmSpeed

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 WRX
Thanked 3,550 Times in 885 Posts
Mentioned: 218 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to GrimmSpeed Send a message via MSN to GrimmSpeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
@GrimmSpeed, any updates on an oil cooler friendly intake?
Nope, no update on that. I think they'll be in production soon. We're still not out of the standard box, as the last batch we had made was a large one. And since for the vast majority of people the standard airbox will work just fine we chose not to scrap them. When I know more I'll be sure and post up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Any update on the paper element?

(I think paper is the 91st element in the periodic table with the symbol Pa)
Those are on the way, I'm not sure of the date, but our filter manufacturer is generally pretty quick. Another thing that I'll make sure and update this post when I have one in my hand.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GrimmSpeed For This Useful Post:
akyp (09-01-2015), Captain Snooze (09-02-2015), OkieSnuffBox (09-01-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #86
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Couple questions. What kind of oil should be run on the filter, will using a dry filter(like AEM) affect performance with your intake, and how will removing the under bumper affect performance?
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 AM   #87
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
Those are on the way, I'm not sure of the date, but our filter manufacturer is generally pretty quick. Another thing that I'll make sure and update this post when I have one in my hand.

Chase
Engineering
Visa is locked and loaded to give you guys money when a dry filter option shows...
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #88
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Couple questions. What kind of oil should be run on the filter, will using a dry filter(like AEM) affect performance with your intake, and how will removing the under bumper affect performance?
Any oil designed for cotton automotive air filters. A good and readily available one is the K&N recharge kit. I think you can find them for about 12 bucks at any auto parts store such as Autozone. I've even seen them at Walmart. Personally, I like to use Green Filter's cleaning and oil kit, but i think you can only find it online. Regardless of the kit, just make sure to clean and oil it properly and you won't have to worry about over-oiling. If you've got a shop-vac you can always hook it up to the filter as well and try to pull any excess through. But that's only if you know you've made a mistake!

Using a dry filter can affect performance. We use oiled filters because they are less restrictive, as the oil is doing the job to catch contaminants. Dry filters need to use more restrictive media in order to accomplish the same goal. I don't have a specific horsepower number for you, but if you insist on using a dry filter for whatever reason you're not going to be too concerned about a small hit to power.

However, more importantly is sourcing a dry filter with an integrated velocity stack. That will be a much more substantial difference in the "Dry vs Oiled" debate in that your MAF readings will not be as accurate as with what we supply, and that is infinitely more important.

I have no clue how removing the under bumper will affect performance as it is not something we've tested. However, since this is a "snorkeled" intake, it will behave the same as the stock intake would with it removed, just like how our intake gains 1-2hp in the topend with the snorkel mod, just like the stock intake does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
Visa is locked and loaded to give you guys money when a dry filter option shows...
I can confirm that they are ordered, and on the way here!

Chase
Engineering
Old 09-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #89
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I don't know how much more I can wait
Is there any chance of an expected date?
No I'm sorry, not with you Matt or Chase
But when will we see the filter replace?
With the super sexy paper element
Surely by now it would be eminent
Just give me some hint, maybe a clue
When will I be sending money to you.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
drewbot (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #90
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raven1231 For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:39 AM   #91
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Quote:
Nope, no update on that. I think they'll be in production soon. We're still not out of the standard box, as the last batch we had made was a large one. And since for the vast majority of people the standard airbox will work just fine we chose not to scrap them. When I know more I'll be sure and post up.

Chase
Engineering
Guess there is no change of you guys just stocking both for a bit so people can choose?
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #92
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I don't know how much more I can wait
Is there any chance of an expected date?
No I'm sorry, not with you Matt or Chase
But when will we see the filter replace?
With the super sexy paper element
Surely by now it would be eminent
Just give me some hint, maybe a clue
When will I be sending money to you.
Soon young Captain, soon. I'm actually working with out supplier today as there was a small mix up with the endcap design. An easy fix, but time consuming never-the-less. I'll have this info either by today or available next week I'm hoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven1231 View Post
Rough morning eh? Cheer up butter cup.

Quote:
Guess there is no change of you guys just stocking both for a bit so people can choose?
See that sounds like the most logical solution, right? Except we foresee that people automatically assume that v2 is going to be better, and will order v2 even if they don't need it, and then we're stuck with perfectly good v1 intakes that just have to live their entire life in a box, never ever getting to go out for a rip, and make some 86 owner grin like an idiot every time they mash the loud pedal.

So we're going to look at a fix for existing airbox and oil cooler owners while we wait to reorder the new version of the airbox. The thing is, the fix is very easy to adapt an oil cooler it seems, and simply involves using a different fitting, and rotating your oil cooler 180 degrees. We're going to look into it, as we've already seen people do it successfully, and then we might have something to offer from there

Chase
Engineering
Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 PM   #93
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
See that sounds like the most logical solution, right? Except we foresee that people automatically assume that v2 is going to be better, and will order v2 even if they don't need it, and then we're stuck with perfectly good v1 intakes that just have to live their entire life in a box, never ever getting to go out for a rip, and make some 86 owner grin like an idiot every time they mash the loud pedal.

So we're going to look at a fix for existing airbox and oil cooler owners while we wait to reorder the new version of the airbox. The thing is, the fix is very easy to adapt an oil cooler it seems, and simply involves using a different fitting, and rotating your oil cooler 180 degrees. We're going to look into it, as we've already seen people do it successfully, and then we might have something to offer from there

Chase
Engineering
Definitely understand people ordering what they don't need and then you being left with perfectly good unsold stock.

What's this business using a different fitting? I'm still waiting a month or so to do it, but I've got my Jackson Racing oil cooler sitting in the garage ready to install. What would need to change?

Any pics?
Old 09-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #94
GrimmSpeed

Quote:
Definitely understand people ordering what they don't need and then you being left with perfectly good unsold stock.

What's this business using a different fitting? I'm still waiting a month or so to do it, but I've got my Jackson Racing oil cooler sitting in the garage ready to install. What would need to change?

Any pics?
Well, I'm not going to say anything until I've had my own two hands on it, but I've seen a kit rotated 180 degrees with banjo fittings that fit fine.

And if this is the "no fit condition:"

The I'm interested to see how it fits with the addition of simply loosening the bolts on the airbox, moving the airbox forward, and then re-tightening the bolts, because I know that on our vehicle the airbox is even more forward than that.

After that I'm going to look into adding a single banjo bolt on a non-rotated setup, and some 45 degree fittings. For now we'll see if something works, and we'll be focusing on high quality Mocal sandwich plate kits ONLY.

Chase
Engineering
Old 09-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #95
OkieSnuffBox

Hmmm, yeah I can see that working.

I'm really just referencing the few threads showing it rubbing, so I just don't want the extra pressure pushing on the lines. If it wasn't so close I'd just go ahead and order your intake!
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieSnuffBox For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (09-28-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 05:12 AM   #96
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
I'll have this info either by today or available next week I'm hoping.
Hi there!
I was wondering if it was next week yet.

Sorry for the needless bump but you know, because forums

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:54 AM   #97
DocWalt

Drives: '22 BRZ
Thanked 1,472 Times in 767 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've been waiting to see if Rev 2 would show up, I'm wanting an intake
DocWalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:34 PM   #98
PNW FRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Non-oil Filter??

Seems like it's been just over a month since the last update where the non-oil filters were supposed to be in (i.e., announcement of "in-stock").

What's the word?