follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #183
Joe-G
Canada Eh!

Drives: '13 FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
First time doing rear extended studs. So due to three New England winters, my car is pretty rusted up.

Attempt #1 ended up with not being able to get the stud assembly thing out.

Attempt #2, did some research and bought a slide hammer. The whole assembly was rusted together and instead of pulling it all out, I just got stud carrier thing (?) as pictured:

I was able to slide hammer it all back in... I was wondering if there were any repercussions to pulling that out? I think I probably should have regreased it but I didn't have any at the time.

Did a quick drive around and everything sounded fine. Anything I should note by pulling the whole bearing out?

Isnt that terrible for your bearing? How's it holding up so far? Do you remember what size slide hammer you used??

Trying to picture it in my head.. but i guess the axle nut would hold everything in place anyways rights?

I gave up on my rear studs. Tried using a jaw puller and ended up breaking that. I think Ill just bring it to the shop when it gets a bit warmer.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:05 PM   #184
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-G View Post
Isnt that terrible for your bearing? How's it holding up so far? Do you remember what size slide hammer you used??

Trying to picture it in my head.. but i guess the axle nut would hold everything in place anyways rights?

I gave up on my rear studs. Tried using a jaw puller and ended up breaking that. I think Ill just bring it to the shop when it gets a bit warmer.
I've been monitoring it, but so far no issues. I seem to have pulled everything in one piece so it all kinda slid back into place. It's too cold to fix anything myself at this point... Especially after this weekends snow storms. And yes, the axle nut should be holding everything in place.

I used the OTC slide hammer (9 way?) off of amazon (should be the first one). I had another backup plan (after numerous youtubing and googling) to get the axle out and hammer on the hub and bearing to brute force it out, but thankfully didn't have to resort to that.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2016, 09:55 PM   #185
Shankenstein
Frosty Carrot

Drives: The Atomic Carrot
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Thanks for all of the useful info in this thread.

I wanted to report on my rear install from today.

2 important findings:
- Axle nut is a hobag. The crimp was folded over too much for any amount of screwdriver/punch action to solve. Electric impact to the rescue!

- Hub rusted to knuckle. No amount of PB Blaster and hammering worked. Probably damaged something from the hour of frustrated hammering. PB + a couple heavy hits with a hammer + 3-jaw puller ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/OTC-Mechanical-Grip-O-Matic-Puller-Reversible/dp/B0002SRGCU"]LINK to mine[/ame]) worked!

Will report back if there are ABS or other issues (I didn't remove mine). The motion of the 3-jaw puller cleared the area where the sensor lives... so it didn't seem necessary.

Last edited by Shankenstein; 01-30-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Shankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #186
Decimus
BAE

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankenstein View Post
Thanks for all of the useful info in this thread.

I wanted to report on my rear install from today.

2 important findings:
- Axle nut is a hobag. The crimp was folded over too much for any amount of screwdriver/punch action to solve. Electric impact to the rescue!

- Hub rusted to knuckle. No amount of PB Blaster and hammering worked. Probably damaged something from the hour of frustrated hammering. PB + a couple heavy hits with a hammer + 3-jaw puller (LINK to mine) worked!

Will report back if there are ABS or other issues (I didn't remove mine). The motion of the 3-jaw puller cleared the area where the sensor lives... so it didn't seem necessary.

I totally agree with you about the axle nut being punched in too flat. I used a flat head and basically hammered and cut a slit in it and finally folded it up. That was the most troublesome and time consuming piece. Everything else worked easy so thank god!
Decimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #187
markitect

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
@Dave-ROR
I had to replace a front hub, and it looks like the bolts holding the hub to the knuckle have red loctite or similar on them so I put some on just to be safe.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #188
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I wanted to follow up on my stud problem

check out this video, I am not the only one...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnwnb8myWKo"]ARP Wheel Stud Problems with Lug Nuts ---- Scion FRS - YouTube[/ame]

be careful a lot of bad ARP studs are on the shelves right now...
make sure you triple check with long open ended nuts before mounting the studs... ask me how I know ....
Old 02-26-2016, 08:18 PM   #189
bspec
A man

Drives: 14 BRZed
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
I wanted to follow up on my stud problem

check out this video, I am not the only one...

be careful a lot of bad ARP studs are on the shelves right now...
make sure you triple check with long open ended nuts before mounting the studs... ask me how I know ....
Same here - I have 4 sets, purchased from Amazon, LOT #116509. 8-10 threads down, full stop. Have you had any luck with ARP @philooo? I'm calling Monday morning.
bspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 PM   #190
philooo

@bspec, ARP was very dismissive when I called them last month, blaming the nuts, but since then, and especially after this video I think that they realized they had a real problem and they sent me replacement items.

I was annoyed at first that they were blaming me for not mounting the stud properly. I actually had given up and bought short nuts instead.

Now I am receiving the new parts, I'll have to reinstall one set of studs, lucky this time around they are front one.

So for me I received 2 bad set of studs out of 5 ordered, all on amazon.com
Old 02-27-2016, 03:15 PM   #191
bspec
A man

Quote:
Originally Posted by philooo View Post
@bspec, ARP was very dismissive when I called them last month, blaming the nuts, but since then, and especially after this video I think that they realized they had a real problem and they sent me replacement items.

I was annoyed at first that they were blaming me for not mounting the stud properly. I actually had given up and bought short nuts instead.

Now I am receiving the new parts, I'll have to reinstall one set of studs, lucky this time around they are front one.

So for me I received 2 bad set of studs out of 5 ordered, all on amazon.com
Thanks @philooo. Can you share the lot numbers for your good and bad sets?
Old 02-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #192
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Ugh I have some ARP studs that were made in aug 15 for the graffiti car.. sitting in the garage but the lug nuts are at the shop with the car. Guess I'll head over to the shop today to grab a lug nut to test with since I planned on dropping off the hubs/bearings to get the press work done tomorrow (no access to my press currently).
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #193
bspec
A man

Spoke to Zach at ARP this morning. He sent out 4 replacement sets and return label for the bad sets, no questions asked. He offered background about the die recalibration and long wheel nuts as well. The entire conversation lasted ~2min.

I should have the new sets tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to bspec For This Useful Post:
8R6 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 03:53 PM   #194
philooo

For those who have mounted bad ARP studs, it may be tough to get them removed as usual extractor are rather short, I did my front yesterday and I was lucky enough to find 2 extractor that 'work together'. See below:

This extractor was clearly too short...

But luckily I had another extractor that I was able to place on top and it works perfectly

I just hope that they will "stick" as the hub are not designed to change studs often. Time will tell.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #195
bspec
A man

Received replacement sets from ARP <24hrs after call. 4 perfect sets, machined and packaged in Feb'16, lot number in the 120K range.

Last edited by bspec; 03-02-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #196
frs23

Drives: FR-S H Lava
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspec View Post
Received replacement sets from ARP <24hrs after call. 4 perfect sets, machined and packaged in Feb'16, lot number in the 120K range.
Is this is conclusively saying the ARP studs were bad then, and the root cause is the die was not calibrated correctly or root cause is unknown?
frs23 is offline   Reply With Quote