follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 04-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #127
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaetagnath View Post

So, I tapped the pink wire and ran a wire along the ceiling, down the passenger side pillar, and behind the glove box. I also put an inline fuse here. The pink line has no fuse, and if you short it, it will fry the connector at the ECU, then the dome lights will never go on with the doors open unless you get a new ECU. Another good reason to disconnect the battery before fiddling.

The STDP Switch is then used to switch from the pink line ground, to a permanent ground which is attached to the chassis anywhere. I chose this bolt which is under the panel directly below the drivers side knee pad because it was close to where I decided to put the switch.
mind a link to the inline fuse. im not to familiar with that so not sure what im looking at for 18 gauge
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #128
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbroskee View Post
mind a link to the inline fuse. im not to familiar with that so not sure what im looking at for 18 gauge
I used an old one I had, but something like this would probably work http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Aut...s_p/a12363.htm with a 5 amp fuse. It's mainly there just to protect the Ecu should you wire something wrong and short it out, as the leds don't draw much themselves.
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaetagnath For This Useful Post:
lbroskee (04-01-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #129
ninjasaurusrex

Drives: 2013 Raven Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ok, so here's how I did it. I wanted the footwell lighting to come on when the doors were opened. I used the LED kit from Phasetek, but didn't like the LED dome light, and I wanted to be able to turn the dome light off and still have the floor lights come on. I also wanted to be able to turn them on whenever I wanted. And, I wanted to be able to disable the whole setup if I wanted. So, I went with a single throw double pole (STDP) switch. My set up works independently of the dome light and has three settings sort of like the dome light has: On when doors are opened (or doors are unlocked), on all the time, or completely off.

Here is the switch I used:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/sear...T%20ON-OFF-ON/

In fact, you probably could do this for a lot cheaper buying all the pieces yourself from there directly, but I had the Phasetek set up so I modified it.

IMPORTANT NOTE: I highly recommend disconnecting the negative terminal of the battery before doing anything. Obligatory I am not responsible for anything you do note.

So, to get the footwell light to turn on when the doors open, I chose to tap the line going into the dome light:

The way the dome light works is the middle green wire is from the battery, the black wire is a permanent ground, and the pink wire is an alternate ground which is controlled by the ECU. The pink one is the one which is connected when the doors are opened.

So, I tapped the pink wire and ran a wire along the ceiling, down the passenger side pillar, and behind the glove box. I also put an inline fuse here. The pink line has no fuse, and if you short it, it will fry the connector at the ECU, then the dome lights will never go on with the doors open unless you get a new ECU. Another good reason to disconnect the battery before fiddling.

The STDP Switch is then used to switch from the pink line ground, to a permanent ground which is attached to the chassis anywhere. I chose this bolt which is under the panel directly below the drivers side knee pad because it was close to where I decided to put the switch.

The switch has three connectors, the middle one goes to the LED light assembly, and each side is the two different ground lines. NOte: MOst switches are STSP, that is just on-off. This one is STDP, that is it has on - off - on.

For power, I used a fuse tap which always draws power, even when there is no key in the ignition:

It's kind of hard to see, but its the second slot down from that side.

The LED light wiring from Phasetek has two connectors, one is power, the other is ground, and then they split out to each LED.

So the power is plugged in in that picture, and the middle wire from the switch plugs into the other tap in the picture.

Then, I installed the switch in the panel below the driver side knee pad.

And it looks awesome

ok so im kinda a noob at electronics and such...but have a basic concept..im just confused in where the tapped fuse ends up at
Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #130
zooki

Drives: waiting on a 2021...
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The tapped fuse supplies power the the footwell lighting. You turn the lights on or off by grounding them straight to the chassis or through the pink wire by way of the switch. The switch controls which ground you want to use, the constant ground to the chassis, or the ECU ground which has a timer.
1999 Ford F250 Powerstroke, the tow rig
1969 Mustang, the fast car....(:
zooki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #131
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
jeez im glad i didnt read all this stuff before i put a separate switch and fuse wired into the interior light switch...all the stuff you guys are doing sound so complicated and intense...glad you have the electrical and posting abilities i do not!
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #132
lbroskee

Garage
so seeing as how tapping into the pink wire is risky i wanna make sure i dont mess up the wire and was wondering about the tap. would these b what u use? i've heard the can cause issues but dont know what route to actually use

Old 04-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #133
Chaetagnath

Garage
Quote:
so seeing as how tapping into the pink wire is risky i wanna make sure i dont mess up the wire and was wondering about the tap. would these b what u use? i've heard the can cause issues but dont know what route to actually use
I personally prefer T-taps. Easier to install, plus then you can just unplug it later if you want for some reason. You want the blue or red ones.

[ame]http://youtu.be/8gZwpMdyiz8[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaetagnath For This Useful Post:
lbroskee (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 02:56 AM   #134
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
And here I thought the 80s style of thinking with floor lighting had disappeared! Looks good guys!
OICU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #135
Cameronghanson

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
And here I thought the 80s style of thinking with floor lighting had disappeared! Looks good guys!
Well yeah...It matches my flux capacitor and Lambo doors
Cameronghanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #136
lbroskee

Garage
@Chaetagnath I wired it all up following your post and for some reason when they stay on when on I (door open or closed), but O and II are both off. this is how i wired them, did i do something wrong?

P.S. i did put the inline fuse to between I and the pink, just forgot to draw it in the diagram
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #137
PhastekSport

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to PhastekSport Send a message via Yahoo to PhastekSport
Good write up.

If anyone fries the ECU I can tell you how to get the dome light back.

Going through warranty might take a while and cause you to explain a couple of things.

Don't ask me how I know.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
PhastekSport is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhastekSport For This Useful Post:
lbroskee (04-08-2013), Trap63 (09-04-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #138
Chaetagnath

Garage
Quote:
@Chaetagnath I wired it all up following your post and for some reason when they stay on when on I (door open or closed), but O and II are both off. this is how i wired them, did i do something wrong?

P.S. i did put the inline fuse to between I and the pink, just forgot to draw it in the diagram
It actually clicks to the opposite side of the switch where it is wired to connect (so when switched to I in your diagram it is actually connecting to the chassis ground). So it sounds like the chassis ground side is working, but not the pink line dome light side. You can test this by simply unbolting the chassis ground and see if it still works or not. I would guess your tap into the pink line didn't cut into the wire at all. Or, the connection at the inline fuse isn't properly connected.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #139
lbroskee

Garage
Quote:
It actually clicks to the opposite side of the switch where it is wired to connect (so when switched to I in your diagram it is actually connecting to the chassis ground). So it sounds like the fuse tap side is working, but not the pink line dome light side. You can test this by simply unbolting the chassis ground and see if it still works or not. I would guess your tap into the pink line didn't cut into the wire at all. Or, the connection at the inline fuse isn't properly connected.
i decided to get risky and jut touch it with direct wire (wire to wire AND no inline fuse) and still nothing, kinda like it wasnt even hot. which was odd since my dome works fine
Old 04-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #140
Chaetagnath

Garage
Quote:
i decided to get risky and jut touch it with direct wire (wire to wire AND no inline fuse) and still nothing, kinda like it wasnt even hot. which was odd since my dome works fine
If the dome light is working fine, and the line is going directly from the tap to the switch, then it must be the tap didn't work then. What kind of tap did you end up going with? Unsnap the tap and inspect the wire, it should cut through the rubber all the way to the wire. Try again either with a lower gauge tap, or try to really clamp it tight, and be sure the wire is sitting right in that metal groove. If this is your first time tapping you may want to practice on some spare wire first to get the hang of it.