follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 12-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #953
zeal86

Drives:
Thanked 1,773 Times in 872 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Does it take a special cap, or can it use stock?
It will not work with stock cap. You'll have to purchase their deep plunger cap... model number SK-C13.

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
Facebook.com/zeal.eightsix
Wheelwell.com/zeal-eightsix
zeal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #954
An Amish Woman

Drives: '15 WRB Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeal86 View Post
I have not... I should look into it though.

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
It never hurts to ask. Might seem like a hassle, but lawyers give free consults. A new paint job would be pretty expensive.

'15 WRB BRZ Limited (Summer)
'93 Ford Festiva L (Work Horse / Race Project)
An Amish Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to An Amish Woman For This Useful Post:
zeal86 (12-13-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 03:55 PM   #955
Kami Speed

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Kami Speed
Quote:
I began and basically completed my aero kit removal today...The kit is now posted in the market place.

Tomorrow I'll take off my front bumper and possibly my front fenders. I may dry fit my new lip and wide body front bumper extentions...

Anyway, to prove that the red is real... lol I took a pic of my rear bumper with the rear diffuser removed. Once again, red microfiber towels did that.

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
Whoa! You were not lying. How the heck did that happen? I used micofibers on my old RSX that was white pearl and didnt notice that.
Kami Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #956
zeal86

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami Speed View Post
Whoa! You were not lying. How the heck did that happen? I used micofibers on my old RSX that was white pearl and didnt notice that.
I'll have to take a pic of the exact ones I used... happened overtime.

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
Old 12-17-2017, 12:09 AM   #957
zeal86

Drives:
Getting work done! I accomplished a number of provisions for my widebody install today... so far so good!

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
The Following User Says Thank You to zeal86 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-17-2017)
Old 12-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #958
zeal86

Drives:
Did the alteration on the passenger side wheel well required for installation of my new fenders and also to guarantee full lock.

Drilled out the spot welds then separated the frame rail cap. I'm going to reweld it in place then seam seal it and paint it.

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
Old 12-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #959
zeal86

Drives:
My plans have been exposed... partially at least... lol

I will have replica SN Aimgain fenders and skirts. Not that I need to explain my decision but if you are interested... here is why.

Since I only wanted the Aimgain fenders/skirts but SN Aimgain would not part out. Used prices were quoted to me at $3600 plus shipping... it is $3800 plus shipping new! Either way, I would then have to sell the front lip, rear diffuser, and wing and go through the hassle of that. To find someone willing to split the kit would be difficult. This direction allows me to complete my build sooner than later.

I already have the victory9racing Aimgain style kit at my house... the dry-fits I have done are pretty on point. The quality of the fiberglass is very nice...as good as my Uras Japan kit. I reached out to another kit owner before buying who happens to be a paint and body guy...he told me he was impressed with the quality and the fitment of the kit. I was satisfied after communicating with him so I ordered. So far I have not been let down by my decision.

I will be using a front lip that no one else has combined with this kit or any other wide body kit as far as I know. My rear will be custom. My spoiler will also be different than my current one. All my other performance and aero parts are authentic as those who follow this build thread already know.

I do quality work...the finished product will be quality in motion!

**Also... Please don't take up space on my thread proclaiming your stance on the use of replica parts. If you don't like it... it's my build... live with it... move on. Thanks in advance.

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zeal86 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (12-19-2017), Irace86.2.0 (12-27-2017), weederr33 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #960
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
My plans have been exposed... partially at least... lol

I will have replica SN Aimgain fenders and skirts. Not that I need to explain my decision but if you are interested... here is why.

Since I only wanted the Aimgain fenders/skirts but SN Aimgain would not part out. Used prices were quoted to me at $3600 plus shipping... it is $3800 plus shipping new! Either way, I would then have to sell the front lip, rear diffuser, and wing and go through the hassle of that. To find someone willing to split the kit would be difficult. This direction allows me to complete my build sooner than later.

I already have the victory9racing Aimgain style kit at my house... the dry-fits I have done are pretty on point. The quality of the fiberglass is very nice...as good as my Uras Japan kit. I reached out to another kit owner before buying who happens to be a paint and body guy...he told me he was impressed with the quality and the fitment of the kit. I was satisfied after communicating with him so I ordered. So far I have not been let down by my decision.

I will be using a front lip that no one else has combined with this kit or any other wide body kit as far as I know. My rear will be custom. My spoiler will also be different than my current one. All my other performance and aero parts are authentic as those who follow this build thread already know.

I do quality work...the finished product will be quality in motion!

**Also... Please don't take up space on my thread proclaiming your stance on the use of replica parts. If you don't like it... it's my build... live with it... move on. Thanks in advance.

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
I shall take up space on your thread by saying I DO like the widebody kit! Excited to see more!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
zeal86 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #961
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Gonna need you to spend less time posting and more time working on getting that kit installed. Very interested to see the end result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
zeal86 (12-19-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 AM   #962
zeal86

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Gonna need you to spend less time posting and more time working on getting that kit installed. Very interested to see the end result.
I'm wanting to make custom louvers that connect from the flares on the front fenders to custom steps attached under the sideskirts. Like I wrote earlier... the rear will be custom as well. Doing a custom diffuser on the front too. I'm going to make my wide body install clean but it will still stand out. Stay tuned...

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeal86 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-20-2017), DustinS (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #963
zeal86

Drives:
Oh.. I forgot to mention... here is how I ended up with replica fenders and skirts... because I did try to go authentic at first. I inquired twice about a full or partial sponsorship with SN Aimgain. Even though I really only wanted the fenders, I could go a year to honor the sponsorship with the kit as is. After the year, I would make it my own as I am doing now... but there was no interest from their side. There is only one other SN Aimgain type 1 kit in Texas that I know of...plus my build is just more complete than pretty much every other 86 that they heavily spotlight on their social media channels. I do the major car shows and keep up my presence on social media. Because of the aforementioned reasons, I felt that I would at least be considered.... negative... shot down quickly.

Anyway, so then I searched some more and found a couple possible owners willing to sell their kits so they could upgrade to the type 2 but the supposed "quote" "unquote" asking price for a used kit was just as much as a new kit. I didn't want the diffuser, lip or spoiler... selling them especially because of shipping costs would have been a pain in the ass...so I needed the price to be lower than what was being asked or I needed someone willing to sell only the fenders and skirts.

As an alternative, to create something a tad unique... I almost pulled the trigger on a 2017 bumper with the Aimgain type 2 front already installed but price of the bumper and shipping would turn out to be about 90% of what I ended up paying for my replica.

In the end, because I decided to go replica... I'll have around $2300 more to put towards my wheels and paint. I'll do all the prep work which I enjoy and it keeps my money in my pocket. My wheels will be 2 or 3 piece and either SSR or Work. My wheels may be new or I may rebuild a set.

I guess I came across the victory9racing site in a Google search for Aimgain... I can't remember. But like I mentioned earlier, I did some homework before deciding to go the replica route. I like that the kit only came with what I needed with the exception of the front lip spoiler. So now I only need to worry about selling one part instead of three which is acceptable to me. BTW, I'll be selling the Aimgain style front lip spoiler soon, keep your eyes out for my FS post.

Anyways, I've started my installation provisions and wanted to share a few pics of the uniformity of the FRP with Kevlar. The piece pictured needs to be cut out because it is also cut out on the OEM fenders. The cutout accommodates pinch welds on the frame just behind the fender garnish. BTW, I weighed the passenger fender against the OEM with garnish installed and the difference was .8 lbs... with the Aimgain style fender weighing more. I don't really care about the weight but I know others do so I thought I'd share the info.

Passenger Side

Driver Side

Uniformity of the fiberglass

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix

Last edited by zeal86; 12-20-2017 at 08:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zeal86 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-20-2017), DustinS (12-26-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 07:36 PM   #964
zeal86

Drives:
I got to work on my install a bit more today. All I did was grind down a couple spots and round out the ends of the opening I posted about earlier. I'm going to use a file to finish some minor adjustments but so far the fitment has been pretty damn good.

Even though I did some homework on this kit... I knew going with a replica was playing with fire but so far this kit looks like it will work out just fine. Anyways...

I rounded out the ends of the opening I cut out previously

Not exactly where the fender will settle in but close. The gap is pretty uniform even before final fitment.

I will add some fiberglass to the tip and reshape it at some point... nothing I'm worried about though.

A bit lifted towards the rear but after I install the hardware it should look fine...

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
Kami Speed (12-22-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #965
zeal86

Drives:
Got some more work in today... I hand filed and Dremeled a few spots... I have the passenger fender almost where I need it to be... I dry fit the driver side rear overfender which I hadn't previously... fits very nice... I don't foresee any issues with that fitment.

This pic shows the smooth gel coat finish of this kit... this particular pic is looking down the driver side rear overfender.

projekt zeal86 build

zeal.eightsix Facebook

Instagram @zeal.eightsix
DustinS (12-26-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #966
Raven86Project
JDM Spirit of the '90s

Drives: 2015 FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)