follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
FRSCoupe

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
paying cash vs financing

If I pay cash do I bypass the finance department and their BS trying to sell options I don't need..

Do dealers actually prefer cash or finance to close the deal? I heard with financing they also make a bit of finders fee or something.

So if I say I am buying, I don't need financing, is this an advantage to get a better deal? (buying a car in general)
FRSCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
serith

Drives: 2009 Scion tC RS 5.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSCoupe View Post
If I pay cash do I bypass the finance department and their BS trying to sell options I don't need..

Do dealers actually prefer cash or finance to close the deal? I heard with financing they also make a bit of finders fee or something.

So if I say I am buying, I don't need financing, is this an advantage to get a better deal? (buying a car in general)
Dealerships make money one of four ways. MSRP, Financing, Trade-In, Add-ons (accessories, extended warranty, etc). By paying cash you're eliminating their ability to make money via financing. If you actually have thirty thousand dollars sitting in the bank, I highly suggest financing the car and paying the 1.9 or 2.9% that most banks will charge you (with good credit), and throwing all or most of that money into a mutual fund with Vanguard, Fidelity, etc. You can definitely earn more with that money working for you in the stock market with low-risk funds than the 2 or 3% you will pay to obtain financing. If you just pay cash for the car outright, will you still have an emergency fund to dip into in case something should happen? Just things to think about.
09 RS 5.0 -- #862 of 2000 -- 5spd
serith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to serith For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (06-18-2012), Turbowned (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:

financing is just one way that you can pay the final agreed upon price of your vehicle.

"bullshit options" are handled before that. A salesperson might give you incentives such as "if you finance through us, we'll give you this cactus," but you're free to decline.

When purchasing a car, first agree on the options and final price, then sit down and figure out how you want to pay for it. (cash, lease or finance).

the two things should not have an impact on each other
Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Paying cash doesn't allow you to bypass the finance department, since you still need to go there to sign paperwork confirming the financial details of the vehicle purchase. It is during that process where they offer you other options, like anti-theft (usually Lo-Jack or something like that), extended warranty, extended maintenance, etc.

Quote:
Dealerships in general don't always care, particularly when it's a large enough dealership to the point where they have their own financing available, like how Toyota has Toyota Financial, or how Acura/Honda has AHFC or whatever it's called since it's not hard to get it approved, plus they make money off of it. It contrasts to ten or twenty years ago where paying in cash may have been more appealing to dealerships.

I'm not sure if there are finders fees, but when doing in-house financing through the auto manufacturer, there is some back-end commission involved in the sale.

Quote:
Again, it depends on the dealership and/or the manufacturer. Most deals that I've seen (as I have worked at a dealership before) will use the same purchase price regardless of your payment selection, though of course when paying cash, some people like to just ask for a nice round number.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Lefty

Drives: Scion FR-S
I just bought mine a week ago and was in the exact same position. Was going to pay for car outright, but Bank of America offered me 2.44% loan over 48 months. That is essentially free money. With the market tanking this month, go throw that money at some depressed oil stocks and you'll make 20-30% in 9-12 months. Or have it as cash reserves.....

I came into dealership with this deal in hand and they couldn't offer me any lower. You just have to go through them trying to sell you the extended warranty for about 30-45 min and tell them you are financing yourself. Decline all accessories, MSRP is pure price. Boom, you are done.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lefty For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Aznek

Drives: 2013 White Scion FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
I just bought mine a week ago and was in the exact same position. Was going to pay for car outright, but Bank of America offered me 2.44% loan over 48 months. That is essentially free money. With the market tanking this month, go throw that money at some depressed oil stocks and you'll make 20-30% in 9-12 months. Or have it as cash reserves.....

I came into dealership with this deal in hand and they couldn't offer me any lower. You just have to go through them trying to sell you the extended warranty for about 30-45 min and tell them you are financing yourself. Decline all accessories, MSRP is pure price. Boom, you are done.
What particular stocks are you buying that guarantee 20-30% in 9-12 months because I want some of that!
Aznek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aznek For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
FRSCoupe

Drives: Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznek View Post
What particular stocks are you buying that guarantee 20-30% in 9-12 months because I want some of that!
Its Vancouver real estate
FRSCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
No kidding. I had no idea Warren Buffet posted here!
rice_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rice_classic For This Useful Post:
Ess Vee (06-19-2012), tripjammer (06-18-2012)
Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
As others stated, you still have to deal with finance and will still get pitched all the add-ons.

As for paying cash, just do it. There are zero guarantees with any investment and instead of paying interest and having to deal with making payments, you will own the car outright and not have to worry.

I either pay cash for my cars or pay them off within 24 months and it is a liberating experience having no debt and knowing the car is yours and not the bank's whom you are indebted to.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
It's opportunity cost whether or not to pay cash. If you don't mind dumping $25k into a less liquid asset than a stock or mutual fund and have extra money in case of emergency, then it's up to you! But like serith said, if you have the opportunity to finance the car at a low interest rate and keep your money invested in something that will generate more interest than the ~2% the bank is charging you, it makes a lot more sense; your money can work for you, rather than being invested in a car that will depreciate and take longer to sell than other investments.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
if you have good credit, secure a low APR %, i think you can get around 2%, and pay it off in chunks while the rest of your cash is invested.

Cash is king though, and dealers most certainly will cut you a sweet deal, however if you already have your finances ready they should be equally as happy.
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Buy some Facebook stock! I kid...i kid...

But yeah oil stocks are cheap right now....
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
frs23

Drives: FR-S H Lava
Quote:
Soon the Spanish bond will get up there
frs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
gwascopter

Drives: MUNI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frs23 View Post
Soon the Spanish bond will get up there
heard mexico is actually buying spain and have the name changed to OLD MEXICO
gwascopter is offline   Reply With Quote