follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #127
batmobilefrs

Drives: Raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure if this has been said yet, but here it goes. About 3 months ago I received a check engine light, took the car into Toyota and they said the tune chip on the AEM intake was causing bank 1 to run too rich, and they recommended i remove it. I like HP so I said screw you and kept it. Then 2 weeks ago my car started lurching, felt like a miss fire or slipping belt, I wasn't sure but I knew it was bad, after being in and out of the dealership for a week straight and phone calls to Toyota HQ in California, they removed the "tune chip" from the AEM intake piggyback to the MAF and poof, problem solved. What was happening was the chip was not controlling the fuel to air mixture like it should, it was telling the engine to FUEL!!!!! So it was putting so much fuel into the engine that it wasn't all combusting. Not sure what kind of long term damage this did to the engine, but AEM readily agreed to refund me the price of the intake, and the repair bill, because intake is not covered under factory warranty, go figure. Still have it installed, but not the chip.
The Following User Says Thank You to batmobilefrs For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (04-13-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM   #128
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmobilefrs View Post
Not sure if this has been said yet, but here it goes. About 3 months ago I received a check engine light, took the car into Toyota and they said the tune chip on the AEM intake was causing bank 1 to run too rich, and they recommended i remove it. I like HP so I said screw you and kept it. Then 2 weeks ago my car started lurching, felt like a miss fire or slipping belt, I wasn't sure but I knew it was bad, after being in and out of the dealership for a week straight and phone calls to Toyota HQ in California, they removed the "tune chip" from the AEM intake piggyback to the MAF and poof, problem solved. What was happening was the chip was not controlling the fuel to air mixture like it should, it was telling the engine to FUEL!!!!! So it was putting so much fuel into the engine that it wasn't all combusting. Not sure what kind of long term damage this did to the engine, but AEM readily agreed to refund me the price of the intake, and the repair bill, because intake is not covered under factory warranty, go figure. Still have it installed, but not the chip.
Interesting you say that. Last fall on a random cool, humid morning in Texas (previous day was upper 80's then to mid 50's) my dad started my car to move it and it idled funny then threw a CEL. I went down to autozone when they opened to get the code read and it said rich. I removed the intake thinking it was a fluke and never got the code again but also haven't re-installed it because im loving stock.

There could be problems with these.
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
-Richard Hammond, Top Gear, USA Supercar Road Trip, 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
My BRZ
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 PM   #129
batmobilefrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.wood0213 View Post
Interesting you say that. Last fall on a random cool, humid morning in Texas (previous day was upper 80's then to mid 50's) my dad started my car to move it and it idled funny then threw a CEL. I went down to autozone when they opened to get the code read and it said rich. I removed the intake thinking it was a fluke and never got the code again but also haven't re-installed it because im loving stock.

There could be problems with these.
I believe so, AEM hasn't openly acknowledged the problem, but they certainly didn't offer up any argument about extending me a refund. Email customer support with the CEL code and most likely if they will say if it happens again you will get your money back.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 PM   #130
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
I believe so, AEM hasn't openly acknowledged the problem, but they certainly didn't offer up any argument about extending me a refund. Email customer support with the CEL code and most likely if they will say if it happens again you will get your money back.
Do you remember what code it gave you?
“This isn’t a supercar, it’s a sports car. It sacrifices rear seats yes but it just feels alive. Pure, direct, immediate. The other two are going to get all the admiring looks yes, that’s my point. I’m not driving around in this for other people’s benefit. I’m driving around in this BECAUSE I LOVE DRIVING IT. END!”
My BRZ
Old 03-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #131
batmobilefrs

Quote:
Do you remember what code it gave you?
The code is P0172 - Bank 1 too rich
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to batmobilefrs For This Useful Post:
LXXXV1 (04-13-2014), m.wood0213 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #132
m.wood0213
Driving Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
The code is P0172 - Bank 1 too rich

Same code here. Thank you I'll try AEM and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My BRZ
The Following User Says Thank You to m.wood0213 For This Useful Post:
batmobilefrs (03-14-2014)
Old 03-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #133
wu_dot_com

Drives: accord
as for me, the AEM intake usually cause low ldel problem after about 4K miles.

my symptom is that it cannot keep idel and the car would die.

ive put back the AEM intake for the 5th time, but this time, my enigne are w/o mod. i am waiting to see the long term results.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #134
batmobilefrs

Quote:
Same code here. Thank you I'll try AEM and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No problem hope everything works out for you, AEM did have fantastic customer service
Old 04-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #135
jbsali

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
can you use/connect the factory "sound tube" with the arm intake? thanks in advance!
Old 01-23-2015, 09:26 PM   #136
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Have any members used this intake long-term without issues?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #137
Fritz zozobrado

Drives: Brz
Anyone still using AEM?

Im using AEM right now but it seems like im experiencing some lag when i stomp on the gas.

Does this probelm be fixed?
Is it possible not to use the chip?

Closed Thread