follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #183
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Heck, I'd take a firm "yes, this is a problem, we are working on a solution, please hang on" from Subaru reps. This "it's a normal sound" annoys me almost more than the sound itself.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #184
Brimford

Drives: Whiteout / MT FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So here's my question, could whatever caused the chirping had caused any problems with another area of the engine? I had heard it was an unlubricated washer, but some things aren't adding up. I don't know if there was ever a confirmed consensus on what with the assembly was causing the noise. The TSB is certainly vague on the specific cause, and i don't dare ask the Toyota techs...
Brimford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #185
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithandril View Post
I get to pick up my fr-s next week from the dealership. It's just off the boat so i'll check to see if I get crickets
Don't be so hasty when you get it to report back...some owners drove a few thousand miles before "the crickening".*

*feel free to use that phrase
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #186
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uspspro View Post
Perhaps the new pumps are not really fixing the problem, and Subaru is waiting until the solution is verified.

It's easy to assume they are screwing up, but they could just be acting more cautiously.

I swear I read somewhere on here that someone had the HPFP replaced, and it chirped again after a couple hundred miles...
Quite possible. And you did read that bottom part here last week, yes. At least one owners replacement HPFP(with same serial), didn't fix the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeong View Post
im picking up my fr-s this weekend. apparently its being shipped over. dont know if this was asked but you think this issue would be fixed on my car?
Now it's my turn to play "I think I remember last week...". Pretty sure one owner reported a VIN higher than the 9026 cutoff in the TSB and has the chrips. Yup, page 6 of this thread, reply #115.
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:20 AM   #187
Lithandril

Drives: Asphalt fr-s 6mt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soconfoozed View Post
There's no sense in worrying your car is busted. Nobody here can give you an answer. Drive it, enjoy it, and if it breaks, take it in and get somebody's attention.
Oh I'm not going to worry about it, if I get it I get it. been going for test drives in the dealer's car almost every week since I ordered it 2 months ago, so I'll definitely be enjoying this car every day.
Lithandril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #188
rainmonkey

Drives: BRZ - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not sure if this has been asked already, but could you theoretically take your BRZ to a Scion dealer to have it fixed?

Sorry, running on a tight schedule, didn't have time to run through all the previous pages of this thread.

Thanks!
rainmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:32 AM   #189
rainmonkey

Drives: BRZ - Dark Grey
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not sure if this has been asked already, but could you theoretically take your BRZ to a Scion dealer to have it fixed?

Sorry, running on a tight schedule, didn't have time to run through all the previous pages of this thread.

Thanks!
rainmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #190
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmonkey View Post

Thanks!
Unfortunately, no, that would be too easy. It has been asked, and I am pretty sure that your warranty terms (look them up) say that any warranty work has to be done by a Subaru dealer. Now, you could go purchase the part from a Toyota dealer, but you will have to pay full price for it, and you could void that part of your warranty by installing it yourself.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #191
jduffy

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan65 View Post
My car went in today, I had a case number I created with SOA .... redacted.
It sounds like you're really organized and have it on lock to get a fix enacted. Looking forward to more of your posts on this.
jduffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #192
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan65 View Post
My car went in today, I had a case number I created with SOA, So when I get my car back I will review it here on this thread, They gave me a Pumpkin Orange Prius C to drive til it's finished. Jennifer from Beaver Toyota left me a message that it should be ready by four on the third. I have a request in to talk to the North American Region Technical representative. Beaver has mentioned that I am a FT86 Club member and I participate in the forums on a daily basis. Even if this does not fix the Cricket farm, I am happy they are making an effort. I have a list of issues I will publish that I created on Google Docs. There are 11 Critical and 21 Long Term. I have decided to keep this list private till Scion contacts me before I create a thread and get the forum to review it for accuracy and viability. I understand I bought a first year car, I accept the car is mine, and I reserve the right to be a customer looking for my issues to be recognized and realized. I reserve the right to publish my issues in a public forum unless SOA decides to go to arbitration or settlement.

So Paul the Service manager just called and let me know that there is also a TSB in relation to the Fuel Pipe # S-SB-0023-12 he wanted to waint until he got the parts related to the Fuel Pipe to replace the Fuel Pump, His Master tech thinks they are related or symbiotic. So he is bringing me my car and picking up the rental in 10 minutes. I appreciate the service they are affording me. To this point Scion of America should make sure every Scion owner is treated with this type of attention to detail.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #193
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Subaru have also issued a TSB regarding the "noise".

Nr 09-54-12 ,High-Pitched “Chirp”, “Squeak” or “Cricket” Sound from the Engine, 2012-okt-03

Though i cannot acces it only see it :p
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jesperswe For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-07-2012), dsgerbc (10-03-2012), Guff (10-03-2012), Sileighty_guru (10-03-2012), soconfoozed (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #194
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperswe View Post
Subaru have also issued a TSB regarding the "noise".

Nr 09-54-12 ,High-Pitched “Chirp”, “Squeak” or “Cricket” Sound from the Engine, 2012-okt-03

Though i cannot acces it only see it :p
Subaru of Sweden, I take it?
UPD: Nevermind, I see it in the list here.
Off to call the dealer.
Can someone with an access post it here too?
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
Guff (10-03-2012), Sileighty_guru (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #195
vtmike

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sucks they waited until now to issue the tsb. With my car it doesn't chirp nearly as often with the cooler ambient temperatures. It's going to be difficult to reproduce the noise at the dealer on demand this time of year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
vtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #196
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
Sucks they waited until now to issue the tsb. With my car it doesn't chirp nearly as often with the cooler ambient temperatures. It's going to be difficult to reproduce the noise at the dealer on demand this time of year.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Just drive it hard, revving high, before you get to the dealer. That'll scare those crickets out.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote