follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #43
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
At long last the car is in having the SC, injectors and fuel pump fitted. Woohoo!
Can’t wait to get it back - hopefully later this week... but that depends on how soon Delicious can do the tune for it
Old 02-28-2018, 12:03 PM   #44
86 South Africa

Garage
So here we are - 3 months and a few happy, fast km’s later.

Gotta say I’m super happy I went with the Sprintex kit (and the SPS version too).
On normal fuel it’s great, and apart from a bit of an increase in fuel consumption no downsides thus far.
On ethanol it’s just 25% more fun!

I know I’m really far from being the first guy to review any of these kits, but I will say this;

The 86 looks good, has great handling and light weight... but we all know it’s pretty slow as stock. And so does every Audi, bmw and gti driver out there.
Having a car that now has some extra “go” to match the “show” is just a cool feeling.
Doesn’t matter that I don’t really race other people (I got his kit for my own enjoyment so really don’t care too much about what other people think) - but knowing I now have a car that can take off from the lights with a little pace, or push hard out of a corner or two, or overtake someone with ease all just makes my motoring experience with the 86 better.

Personally I think it’s a great improvement and I can highly recommend it.
I must also say that delicious tuning is awesome - and that’s probably a big reason I’m loving the kit too
Fish Eagle (02-28-2018), mrg666 (02-28-2018), Tristor (02-28-2018), weederr33 (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #45
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post

Gotta say I’m super happy I went with the Sprintex kit (and the SPS version too).
On normal fuel it’s great, and apart from a bit of an increase in fuel consumption no downsides thus far.
On ethanol it’s just 25% more fun!

I know I’m really far from being the first guy to review any of these kits, but I will say this;

The 86 looks good, has great handling and light weight... but we all know it’s pretty slow as stock. And so does every Audi, bmw and gti driver out there.
Having a car that now has some extra “go” to match the “show” is just a cool feeling.
Doesn’t matter that I don’t really race other people (I got his kit for my own enjoyment so really don’t care too much about what other people think) - but knowing I now have a car that can take off from the lights with a little pace, or push hard out of a corner or two, or overtake someone with ease all just makes my motoring experience with the 86 better.

Personally I think it’s a great improvement and I can highly recommend it.
I must also say that delicious tuning is awesome - and that’s probably a big reason I’m loving the kit too
LOL I think you do care! And no we don't all know it is slow. Glad you are enjoying it though.
86 South Africa (03-03-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #46
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Pleased it's come together for you. Enjoy!!

You know how happy I am with what I've got, but it's different strokes, etc...
There's more than one way to skin a cat.

After the amazing reliability I've had, I've decided to go for a bit more grunt.
Either a slightly smaller pulley (lots of scope there) or ethanol which I know niks about.
I'll do some more research then decide which.
I'm looking for about 10% more, that's all.

See you around.
Red Star Raceway is open on Sunday, so I'm considering doing some testing of my latest camber changes before Michelin Cup at Zwartkops in March.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #47
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Eagle View Post
Pleased it's come together for you. Enjoy!!

You know how happy I am with what I've got, but it's different strokes, etc...
There's more than one way to skin a cat.

After the amazing reliability I've had, I've decided to go for a bit more grunt.
Either a slightly smaller pulley (lots of scope there) or ethanol which I know niks about.
I'll do some more research then decide which.
I'm looking for about 10% more, that's all.

See you around.
Red Star Raceway is open on Sunday, so I'm considering doing some testing of my latest camber changes before Michelin Cup at Zwartkops in March.
Yep, nothing wrong with yours at all
Personally I like the ethanol option if you only want a little more because it also has some cooling benefits (& knock etc)... however, getting supply is t always easy where we live. That said if you don’t mind ordering a 200l drum they’ll deliver for free (which is what I did last time).
Then you can use it for your track days etc and normal fuel for road driving

All this being said I should really get my ass out to a track day now and have a bit of fun!
Old 03-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #48
86 South Africa

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOL I think you do care! And no we don't all know it is slow. Glad you are enjoying it though.
I only care when they beat me
Tcoat (03-03-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #49
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I only care when they beat me
86 South Africa (03-03-2018)
Old 03-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #50
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
The only thing that a Vortech unit has going for it is that it is less expensive. Vortech units are larger than Rotrex units. So, packaging wise it is easier to install a Rotrex unit especially where space is a commodity. You can run a Rotrex off different size pulleys for different PSI depending how built your engine is. But this next quote pretty much sums it up for the BRZ, FRS, 86 as to why the Vortech is inferior for our platform:

"a s/c has to be matched to an engine to use the most optimal range of its efficiency. there is an area beneath the vortech's operating range at which the drag of the charger is more detrimental than it superior maximum flow potential (which may very well go unused). The goal is to keep the blower in its optimal range of efficiency, for a smaller motor, seeing much lower revs, rotrex is way more effective. This is so due to the rotrex's outrageous efficiency at lower cfms. The vortech becomes bulky, unnecessary, and parasitic at these lower cfms."

And from the SC compilation thread:

Post #1
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55705

"These charts also make it clear that the Vortech's powerband is 5-15% inferior to the Rotrex powerbands from 4000-7000 RPM."

There's a lot more useful information in that thread to make an informed decision on what SC kit to purchase. But from the 2 choices the OP is considering the JRSC kit beats the Innovate kits hands down especially in the higher RPM ranges.
Don't the other systems run at 12psi while the vortech runs at 9psi? I haven't been paying attention to dyno graphs recently but from what i've seen in the past, vortechs have been dynoing the highest. A 3.125 pulley which is about 12 psi were getting people to 360-370whp on e85 while the other systems were in the low 300whp range at 12psi on e85.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote