follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2018, 01:35 AM   #15
RallySport

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Total recall
RallySport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:39 PM   #16
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
You don't have to do anything until you get a letter in the mail. That will tell you what you have to do.

Like others said, the valve spring recall ain't gonna cost ya nutten.

humfrz
Ain't gonna cost ya nutten but yo time!! That's a personal commodity not all of us have a infinite supply of. The one question I have is, if a valve spring were to break while driving, how much damage does that do to the engine? I'd suspect being premptive and taking car into dealer for the service/recall before a valve spring breaks would be less costly to manufacture. ...but how much less costly?
Audio (01-03-2019), humfrz (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 03:35 PM   #17
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Ain't gonna cost ya nutten but yo time!! That's a personal commodity not all of us have a infinite supply of. The one question I have is, if a valve spring were to break while driving, how much damage does that do to the engine? I'd suspect being premptive and taking car into dealer for the service/recall before a valve spring breaks would be less costly to manufacture. ...but how much less costly?
Well, ya, I was speaking of "out of pocket" costs. My bad, I forget that "time is money", because I'm retired and on a fixed income -

If a valve spring breaks while driving, I reckon that it just might leave the valve "open" and in the combustion chamber, so as when the piston comes along, and the valve is supposed to be out of the way, the head of the piston will beat the hell out of the valve and the engine will blow or at least stop running.

As far as a preemptive move and take your car in for the recall, I reckon it would have to be on their list and a recall issued for your car. If so, you may be able to convince the dealer to put on the top of the recall list.

Meanwhile, you could always just not drive your car, then when you get the recall notice and make an appointment with the dealer to have it fixed, have the car towed to the dealership.

OR

Just drive the car, wait for it to be recalled, then take it in (or not).

I found out late in the game, that worrying about shit like that is just not good for you.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (12-31-2018), Dadhawk (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 03:50 AM   #18
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, ya, I was speaking of "out of pocket" costs. My bad, I forget that "time is money", because I'm retired and on a fixed income - :bonk

humfrz
Right, time is money and visa versa ( Ben Franklin coined that phrase......and he was not a "dead president " , yet he was /is basically on the highest denomination bill ..... jack of many trades. I would have probably put Ben on the $50 bill, but had Lincoln on the $100....but I digress.....

As for time....no one can really buy time , but people can trade their time for some kind of money $1 per 5min, etc....what they feel as though their time is worth and/ or what their local market will bare. Most people can be bought, but not many people can just walk away from the dollars, and do something else with their time. I'll bet most ...most ( not all) dealerships don't value their customers time, as much as how they value their own time.
humfrz (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 12:33 PM   #19
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,814 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Right, time is money and visa versa ( Ben Franklin coined that phrase......and he was not a "dead president " , yet he was /is basically on the highest denomination bill ..... jack of many trades. I would have probably put Ben on the $50 bill, but had Lincoln on the $100....but I digress.....

As for time....no one can really buy time , but people can trade their time for some kind of money $1 per 5min, etc....what they feel as though their time is worth and/ or what their local market will bare. Most people can be bought, but not many people can just walk away from the dollars, and do something else with their time. I'll bet most ...most ( not all) dealerships don't value their customers time, as much as how they value their own time.
WOW! getten all heavy there -

Before ol @Tcoat comes to and tells the story, I will relate it. Yep, back in the day, ol Ben and I were sitting in the City Tavern in Philadelphia, when a late afternoon rainstorm kicked up. He ask me to hold his beer as he ran outside with his kite.

THE END

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
g e (01-07-2019), soundman98 (01-03-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #20
Awesom-0

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OK, I got the papers for the recall on my 2013. I was a master tech at Nissan and wondering if someone from a dealer has a parts list.

I don't imagine anyone changing valve springs at a dealer. These should be fully assembled new heads correct?

Just curious if this includes a new fuel pump and plugs on the recall. Head work like just installing springs does not happen at dealers so it must be a new head assembly.

I'm close to 30k miles and want the full parts list before I call to set up the repair. Just to see what maintenance I can get done cheap or free from the recall.
Awesom-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:59 PM   #21
Awesom-0

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Time is probably 15 minutes to drop off a car and pick up a loaner from a decent dealer for 3k in parts if they do the work on heads like any dealer. You do not replace valve springs as a tech at a dealer. You should be getting a head assembly and everything they can have on it to make it fast.

At Nissan we never did head work even tho I was trained by two tech schools to do so 20 years ago. I imagine it's a new set of heads and everything else as a set.

The letter states it will take a day and a half. Even as a tech 15 years ago I'd pick a head fully assembled compared to just taking a head off and sending it out to be machined because it's out of spec on the measurements you are supposed to do.

Would like if someone that works at a dealer to give us the parts list.
Awesom-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #22
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesom-0 View Post
Time is probably 15 minutes to drop off a car and pick up a loaner from a decent dealer for 3k in parts if they do the work on heads like any dealer. You do not replace valve springs as a tech at a dealer. You should be getting a head assembly and everything they can have on it to make it fast.

At Nissan we never did head work even tho I was trained by two tech schools to do so 20 years ago. I imagine it's a new set of heads and everything else as a set.

The letter states it will take a day and a half. Even as a tech 15 years ago I'd pick a head fully assembled compared to just taking a head off and sending it out to be machined because it's out of spec on the measurements you are supposed to do.

Would like if someone that works at a dealer to give us the parts list.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...&postcount=572
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote