follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 01:00 AM   #631
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have this kit, the stage II and performance rears with bp20's. I get bad squeal when light braking at low speeds. If I quickly stab the brakes to stop there is great bite and response, but mashing the brakes sometimes leads to less than expected performance. Sometimes I can press hard enough to get the pedal to bottom out.

I have bled the brakes enough to know there are no leaks and not a drop of air in the lines, but the pedal feels like it is spongy. I feel like the stock brakes were better. I even remember how tight it felt after installing a master cylinder brace, and now the kit and master cylinder brace feels spongier or softer than stock. It is odd. Either air is trapped somewhere that doesn't get worked to the end of the brake lines or the pads are squishy compared to OEM organic pads. I dunno. I really haven't had an opportunity to take it to the track or do an autocross day. I have done very spirited driving in the canyons and the brakes handle the heat well, but I would like firmer brake pedal feel and better response.

I'll probably try some other shims and the EBC red stuff or maybe even some basic organic pads.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #632
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I have this kit, the stage II and performance rears with bp20's. I get bad squeal when light braking at low speeds. If I quickly stab the brakes to stop there is great bite and response, but mashing the brakes sometimes leads to less than expected performance. Sometimes I can press hard enough to get the pedal to bottom out.

I have bled the brakes enough to know there are no leaks and not a drop of air in the lines, but the pedal feels like it is spongy. I feel like the stock brakes were better. I even remember how tight it felt after installing a master cylinder brace, and now the kit and master cylinder brace feels spongier or softer than stock. It is odd. Either air is trapped somewhere that doesn't get worked to the end of the brake lines or the pads are squishy compared to OEM organic pads. I dunno. I really haven't had an opportunity to take it to the track or do an autocross day. I have done very spirited driving in the canyons and the brakes handle the heat well, but I would like firmer brake pedal feel and better response.

I'll probably try some other shims and the EBC red stuff or maybe even some basic organic pads.
Did you make sure to bed the pads in well? I put in a new set of BP20's and changed out my brake fluid before my last track day. I remember thinking the pedal felt oddly soft on the street. But after I bedded in the brake pads in the first session, everything was normal again. I can't explain it but something about bedding in the pads firmed up the pedal feel.

That said, I remember OEM brakes + fresh fluid + aftermarket pads (XP10, HC+800, etc.) having really firm pedal feel. Better than the Stage 2 RR kit actually.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #633
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Did you make sure to bed the pads in well? I put in a new set of BP20's and changed out my brake fluid before my last track day. I remember thinking the pedal felt oddly soft on the street. But after I bedded in the brake pads in the first session, everything was normal again. I can't explain it but something about bedding in the pads firmed up the pedal feel.

That said, I remember OEM brakes + fresh fluid + aftermarket pads (XP10, HC+800, etc.) having really firm pedal feel. Better than the Stage 2 RR kit actually.
I did a bed in procedure. Who knows if I did it well enough. I’ve had the kit on for like 5l miles though so I figure they should be good.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #634
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I did a bed in procedure. Who knows if I did it well enough. I’ve had the kit on for like 5l miles though so I figure they should be good.
I have the stage 2 front and stage 4 rears with BP20's; no issues at all with brake pedal feel. it's actually extremely responsive compared to stock. a light tap of the pedal and they bite. they squeal pretty bad when warmed up and coming to a stop though, but that's expected.

tbh, the symptoms sound like you still have air in the lines.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #635
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I have the stage 2 front and stage 4 rears with BP20's; no issues at all with brake pedal feel. it's actually extremely responsive compared to stock. a light tap of the pedal and they bite. they squeal pretty bad when warmed up and coming to a stop though, but that's expected.

tbh, the symptoms sound like you still have air in the lines.
The brakes work really well at speed under heavy braking or if I stab them. They work at other times but are worse than stock. I do believe there may be air in the line but we bled the brakes with no air in the system.

Is there a way for professionals to run the ABS open to purge it? Do bubbles circulate or do they work to the end of the caliper? Do I have to keep purging even if there are no bubbles or will bubbles be sitting at the end?
Old 10-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #636
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
The brakes work really well at speed under heavy braking or if I stab them. They work at other times but are worse than stock. I do believe there may be air in the line but we bled the brakes with no air in the system.

Is there a way for professionals to run the ABS open to purge it? Do bubbles circulate or do they work to the end of the caliper? Do I have to keep purging even if there are no bubbles or will bubbles be sitting at the end?
I believe there is an option in Techstream to cycle the ABS pumps, but maybe you just need to bleed it more. I personally used a pressure bleeder (motive bleeder) and went around the car two or three times. make sure the calipers are being bled from the outer valve first, then the inner though (not sure if the sport rears have two valves or 1). and obviously work in the same manner as you would normally (passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front). I know that's all basic information but sometimes you probably just need to bleed it more than once.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #637
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I believe there is an option in Techstream to cycle the ABS pumps, but maybe you just need to bleed it more. I personally used a pressure bleeder (motive bleeder) and went around the car two or three times. make sure the calipers are being bled from the outer valve first, then the inner though (not sure if the sport rears have two valves or 1). and obviously work in the same manner as you would normally (passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front). I know that's all basic information but sometimes you probably just need to bleed it more than once.
I might get the motive bleeder. Do you know of anyone who sells check valves to replace the bleeder nipples? I might get those too.

We did two rounds of bleeding until no bubbles, making sure to get both valves on each caliper then a few months later did the same.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #638
Irace86.2.0

http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cali...emno=120-13237

I believe these are the stage ii calipers that I have. They say they take bleed screw type 220-0627

http://www.wilwood.com/LineKits/Line...temno=220-0627

These are the bleeder screws. 1/4-28

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/639540/10002/-1

These are the Russell speed bleeders--639540--which is what is listed on Russell's website.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc...ermarket.shtml

I'll probably get these bleeders then get the Motive self brake bleeder kit here:

https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Produc.../dp/B00CJ5DZE2

Anyone know if there is a way to run the ABS wide open?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:13 PM   #639
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
http://www.wilwood.com/Calipers/Cali...emno=120-13237

I believe these are the stage ii calipers that I have. They say they take bleed screw type 220-0627

http://www.wilwood.com/LineKits/Line...temno=220-0627

These are the bleeder screws. 1/4-28

http://www.jegs.com/i/Russell/799/639540/10002/-1

These are the Russell speed bleeders--639540--which is what is listed on Russell's website.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc...ermarket.shtml

I'll probably get these bleeders then get the Motive self brake bleeder kit here:

https://www.amazon.com/Motive-Produc.../dp/B00CJ5DZE2

Sounds like you definitely have air in the lines. Spongy and feel worse than stock. It sounds like mine felt after the first bleed. After the second bleed they feel much much better. Just gotta be patient and make sure you're bleeding them in the right order. Here is Wilwood's info on it - https://www.wilwood.com/m/techtip/Te...spx?id=10&no=1

Bleed em again! You'll love them once they're setup right.
The Following User Says Thank You to fika84 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 02:02 AM   #640
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
Sounds like you definitely have air in the lines. Spongy and feel worse than stock. It sounds like mine felt after the first bleed. After the second bleed they feel much much better. Just gotta be patient and make sure you're bleeding them in the right order. Here is Wilwood's info on it - https://www.wilwood.com/m/techtip/Te...spx?id=10&no=1

Bleed em again! You'll love them once they're setup right.
I ordered the speed bleeders and power bleeder kit along with shims. Like I said, we did two rounds of bleeding like you are suppose to until no air came out. After a few months of driving, trying to activate the ABS to see if air was trapped, we repeated the process and the smallest in size and amount of bubbles came out. I can't imagine there is much air in the system, but there might be a little. It stops well, especially at high speeds, but it lacks the firmness of OEM, so I think there must be some small amount of air somewhere. Hopefully this will fix things.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #641
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I ordered the speed bleeders and power bleeder kit along with shims. Like I said, we did two rounds of bleeding like you are suppose to until no air came out. After a few months of driving, trying to activate the ABS to see if air was trapped, we repeated the process and the smallest in size and amount of bubbles came out. I can't imagine there is much air in the system, but there might be a little. It stops well, especially at high speeds, but it lacks the firmness of OEM, so I think there must be some small amount of air somewhere. Hopefully this will fix things.
Keep us posted! I was looking into getting the speed bleeders since it's such a PITA to bleed calipers on both sides!
The Following User Says Thank You to fika84 For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 10:49 PM   #642
Pointmutation

Drives: 2016 ZC6
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, keep us posted. I’ve had the front and rears installed for a few weeks now (Stg 1 fronts, SP rears, and BP10’s). Your description of the pedal sounds exactly like I would describe mine. Brakes work well when stabbed or hard braking at speed but just not as firm as stock. I added an MC brace too after the bbk install after I noticed this, which helped some, but still not as firm as stock. But I’ve had no time yet to bleed the system since the first day installed.

Last week I just bought the motive power bleeder too. I debated on buying speed bleeders also but I figure with the power bleeder, I wouldn’t need speed bleeders.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #643
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fika84 View Post
Keep us posted! I was looking into getting the speed bleeders since it's such a PITA to bleed calipers on both sides!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointmutation View Post
Yeah, keep us posted. I’ve had the front and rears installed for a few weeks now (Stg 1 fronts, SP rears, and BP10’s). Your description of the pedal sounds exactly like I would describe mine. Brakes work well when stabbed or hard braking at speed but just not as firm as stock. I added an MC brace too after the bbk install after I noticed this, which helped some, but still not as firm as stock. But I’ve had no time yet to bleed the system since the first day installed.

Last week I just bought the motive power bleeder too. I debated on buying speed bleeders also but I figure with the power bleeder, I wouldn’t need speed bleeders.
I’ll keep you guys updated. Like I said, I bought a master cylinder brace and felt improvement over stock like it was rock solid then going from that to the BBK was squishy even after multiple bleeds. Hopefully this works. I plan to double check my lines and to purge bottles worth of fluid.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:26 PM   #644
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Not sure what you by mean wide open, but I use a Beastronix module to disengage ABS on my track days.

Closed Thread

Tags
big brake kit, competition, track