follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #15
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Now this is a question I can answer.

I'm mid-40s, got tired of boring cars, so I bought an 86 in March. I also have a motorcycle, so the 86 isn't my only "fun vehicle."

Quote:
how's the car holding up for you.
Car is holding up great. I love it more every day as I get to know it better. I've never had a little sportscar (my fun cars were big-block V8s), so this is a lot of fun for me. And whoever said this is the modern-day iteration of the 240Z is correct, IMO.

Quote:
Any regrets for not buying something with more power, or more creature comforts?
None whatsoever. I considered a Mustang, Camaro, or GTI that could launch me in a straight line faster, but I'm glad I did not go that route. Those cars don't have as much feel and personality, IMO. I've gone fast in a straight line plenty. I like cornering.

As far as creature comforts, I'm someone who enjoys simple machines, and this is about as simple as you can get today. I don't want a dozen computers in between me and the road. I don't want heated massaging seats and 18 screens with 300 channels. I just want a car that conects me to the road, and this might be the last one out there that really does. The only thing* I miss is a decent audio unit. It's effing garbage.

Also, I ended up getting an Auto, because 90% of my driving is start-stop in traffic or through neighborhood stop signs. I figured I do lots of shifting on the bike. Some days I really wish I'd gone manual. Some days I am so thankful I didn't. Still haven't decided if I made the right choice. But if your daily drive is more receptive to a stick, you should really consider it.

*EDIT: after further thought, I do miss two other things: more storage space and an armrest. The twins don't have a lot of room to put your stuff. You can get an aftermarket arm rest, but it effectively negates that storage space for many uses.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bkharmony For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (06-21-2017), xuimod (07-13-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #16
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
At that age I would either find a clean FC and relive my youth, or buy a balanced car with power like a corvette.
Problem is the rotary engines suck. At that age do you really want to deal with those kinds of issues?

Unless you LS-swap it or something..
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #17
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
OP, your story reads just like mine.

I'm in my mid fifties and drove an 82 RX-7. When I took this car for a test drive it was an instant flashback to my youth and driving the crap out of that RX-7! I had no idea the car was even on the market until a friend pointed it out. I test drove both the MT and AT and bought an AT 2 weeks later. I'm 6' 6" and it has the same seating position as the RX-7. I don't think there will be any issues being comfortable.

Take one out. You won't regret it!
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:07 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magyarman View Post
I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. 34" inseam. With the seat all the way back it's very comfortable.
Now you're going to have to fold yourself into and out of the 86. It is fun to watch folks see me standing next to my FRS and try to figure out how I got in or out of it. I tried the Miata as well, too small in interior width and it was just too cramped to be comfortable. The longest 1 day trip I've taken was 260 miles and the only thing that bothered me was that my RH pinkie finger would cramp---go figure! I'm having my midlife crisis as well at age 69. But, I'm calling it my 2nd childhood!!!
Welp, at age 69 ....... if your pinkie finger is the only thing that is bothering you ..... you are doing GOOD!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #19
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRider54 View Post
I'm the proverbial middle aged man hitting my midlife crisis. I already have a motorcycle for times when I need to do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. I'm looking to replicate the experience I had back when I was 16yo bombing around in my 1985 RX-7. That car had 100hp and weighed slightly more than a starving bird. 14" wheels with what probably equate to wheelbarrow tires today. 5-speed manual transmission, light clutch, easy to work on yourself (loved that top mounted oil filter!). Tires were cheap, parts were easy to find.

Of course, I wanted more power. All my buddies with IROC-Zs, Mustang GTs, Probe Turbos, Fiero V6s, Firbird Formulas, and Trans-Ams....they all had more power.....but none could stay with me on a twisty road. That car was like a roller skate. Stuck to the road like it was glued to it. The RX-7 had no rev limiter...just a buzzer that would sound when you were "over revving" the engine (which was really to protect the accessory drive).

What that car did was teach me the old Mr. Miyagi trick......"Balance Daniel San!". I had to learn to carry corner speed. To feel the car. To anticipate when the tires were going to let go (only put it in the ditch once). I had to have a big enough lead on my buddies coming out of the corner to keep them from easily passing me on the straight. For the most part, I was successful (damn rich friend that had a Corvette spanked me all the time).

For my graduation gift (and because I got a scholarship to collage) my Dad bought me a VW Corrado. Supercharged four with 158hp. I felt like I was driving a Formula 1 car compared to my RX-7....but it was front wheel drive....and just not the same.

So now I'm older, wiser (well...at least less stupid), and I no longer have any desire to street race. But I want that same feel. That feel of beating a car for all it's worth and not having to hold it back. It would be a second car for me. One I could take out on weekend drives when the weather is too cold or too hot for a motorcycle ride or when I want to take my wife or daughter with me who don't like riding the motorcycle.

So...here's my question. For those of you who are in your mature years, how's the car holding up for you. Any regrets for not buying something with more power, or more creature comforts? At 6'5", 260lbs....I can't fit in a Miata. I'm hoping an 86/BRZ could be in my garage for enough years that I might give my grandkids a ride (my daughter is 12yo...so I have some years to go).
When you were at college didn't they teach you how to spell it?
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scrappydoo For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (06-22-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:12 PM   #20
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welp, at age 69 ....... if your pinkie finger is the only thing that is bothering you ..... you are doing GOOD!

humfrz
Doing well.
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:32 PM   #21
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydoo View Post
When you were at college didn't they teach you how to spell it?
OK......which of you clumsy fools bumped into Scrappydoo's cage ......

humfrz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
bkharmony (06-22-2017), new2subaru (06-21-2017), Ultramaroon (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #22
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydoo View Post
Doing well.
Hey, when I was a kid, I learnt to speak from my older cousins, which were from West Virginia,....... soooooo...... lighten up on my chain ......

humfrz
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (06-21-2017), Ultramaroon (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #23
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
I fit well in my FRS, but I am 5'8". It's great on my back (I have taken 12 hour rides before) and fun to drive. I was bored driving to work and needed something better. This car is just what I needed. And it is pretty easy to work on too. There's a ton of aftermarket parts and modding this car has been fun.

Yup, you'll love it- but test drive one first and make sure you fit because your height may be an issue
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:49 PM   #24
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRider54 View Post
I'm the proverbial middle aged man hitting my midlife crisis. I already have a motorcycle for times when I need to do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds. I'm looking to replicate the experience I had back when I was 16yo bombing around in my 1985 RX-7. That car had 100hp and weighed slightly more than a starving bird. 14" wheels with what probably equate to wheelbarrow tires today. 5-speed manual transmission, light clutch, easy to work on yourself (loved that top mounted oil filter!). Tires were cheap, parts were easy to find.

Of course, I wanted more power. All my buddies with IROC-Zs, Mustang GTs, Probe Turbos, Fiero V6s, Firbird Formulas, and Trans-Ams....they all had more power.....but none could stay with me on a twisty road. That car was like a roller skate. Stuck to the road like it was glued to it. The RX-7 had no rev limiter...just a buzzer that would sound when you were "over revving" the engine (which was really to protect the accessory drive).

What that car did was teach me the old Mr. Miyagi trick......"Balance Daniel San!". I had to learn to carry corner speed. To feel the car. To anticipate when the tires were going to let go (only put it in the ditch once). I had to have a big enough lead on my buddies coming out of the corner to keep them from easily passing me on the straight. For the most part, I was successful (damn rich friend that had a Corvette spanked me all the time).

For my graduation gift (and because I got a scholarship to collage) my Dad bought me a VW Corrado. Supercharged four with 158hp. I felt like I was driving a Formula 1 car compared to my RX-7....but it was front wheel drive....and just not the same.

So now I'm older, wiser (well...at least less stupid), and I no longer have any desire to street race. But I want that same feel. That feel of beating a car for all it's worth and not having to hold it back. It would be a second car for me. One I could take out on weekend drives when the weather is too cold or too hot for a motorcycle ride or when I want to take my wife or daughter with me who don't like riding the motorcycle.

So...here's my question. For those of you who are in your mature years, how's the car holding up for you. Any regrets for not buying something with more power, or more creature comforts? At 6'5", 260lbs....I can't fit in a Miata. I'm hoping an 86/BRZ could be in my garage for enough years that I might give my grandkids a ride (my daughter is 12yo...so I have some years to go).
At mid 40s you fit closer to the upper end of the young guys than the lower end of the old guys as far as this forum goes. Many of us are far older than you would think (and Hum is older than dirt).

As far as the car goes:
Steve already beckoned our resident Wookie so we will let him speak to size.
The back seat is usable for small children or very skinny teens but do not plan to cross the country with them back their. Either their legs or your patience will get broken.
Your 12 year old daughter may not care much but is you get one you ca expect a pile of 12 year old boys to come drooling (at the car).
For the last 3 years I spend 14 hours a week for about 800 miles in mine and so far I have had to replace tires and my drivers seat is starting to show some wear.
Depending on how hard you drive it I can see you taking some grandkids for a drive. If you can weave through the self driving hoover cars that is.
This sounds like the perfect car for what you want!
humfrz (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #25
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hey, when I was a kid, I learnt to speak from my older cousins, which were from West Virginia,....... soooooo...... lighten up on my chain ......

humfrz
Well strangely enough I am willing to bet that if Scrappy was actually talking I may have to translate to half the folks on here due to accent issues.
Scrappydoo (06-22-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #26
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well strangely enough I am willing to bet that if Scrappy was actually talking I may have to translate to half the folks on here due to accent issues.
Well, OK, right now, you could translate to the rest of us, what @Scrappydoo means, when he types ......

humfrz
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #27
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Well, mid-life crisis at 40+?. Ok. I've had great sports cars since my 20's, so friends of mine said I needed a Toyota van for my mid-life crisis car. Kind of reverse.

I love my 86. I went into it knowing I wanted it faster, so I did a lot of research and did my mods very carefully. I got the stripped Frs model because that is what I wanted. No leather, because race car.

My car is supercharged and plenty fast, just as reliable as any other, and has all original exhaust and CARB Smog stickers for the hardware. To do it right was not cheap. I just about doubled the price of the car. Drives like a dream.

I'm 54 in a few weeks. 5'9", so I fit perfect. Owned since 1/30/15. Extra "fun" car, not a DD, but I do end up driving it for errands and work on nice days.

Oh yea, almost forgot. I have had zero problems.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 PM   #28
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Well, mid-life crisis at 40+?. Ok. I've had great sports cars since my 20's, so friends of mine said I needed a Toyota van for my mid-life crisis car. Kind of reverse.

I love my 86. I went into it knowing I wanted it faster, so I did a lot of research and did my mods very carefully. I got the stripped Frs model because that is what I wanted. No leather, because race car.

My car is supercharged and plenty fast, just as reliable as any other, and has all original exhaust and CARB Smog stickers for the hardware. To do it right was not cheap. I just about doubled the price of the car. Drives like a dream.

I'm 54 in a few weeks. 5'9", so I fit perfect. Owned since 1/30/15. Extra "fun" car, not a DD, but I do end up driving it for errands and work on nice days.
I think we have said this before!
I shudder when people I have know for decades see my car and ask "Midlife crisis eh?"
If that is the case mine started at 16.
Why did the same people that ask me that now not ask the same 24 years ago when I bought my Talon TSi? The people asking me know I had the thing for 10 years for crying out loud.
bkharmony (06-22-2017), Sapphireho (06-21-2017)