follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-08-2016, 01:42 AM   #85
blackstripe77

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [YOYO] View Post
I have the Legamax with a TOMEI UEL, and it sounds awesome. You get just enough boxer rumble without it being annoying. I have only received compliments on the sound of my exhaust
Resurrecting this thread because I found a local dealer and have finally been putting a few more miles on the car. Also realized the car is pretty noisy as is without exhaust noise. And that the Legamax Sports is still my favorite in terms of both sounds and looks.

Has anyone's Legamax Sports gotten louder over time? Is it audible with the windows down? I have about 30k kilometers on my Mugen pipes and they've definitely gotten louder and deeper.
blackstripe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #86
Torry@HKSUSA

Drives: HKS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstripe77 View Post
Resurrecting this thread because I found a local dealer and have finally been putting a few more miles on the car. Also realized the car is pretty noisy as is without exhaust noise. And that the Legamax Sports is still my favorite in terms of both sounds and looks.

Has anyone's Legamax Sports gotten louder over time? Is it audible with the windows down? I have about 30k kilometers on my Mugen pipes and they've definitely gotten louder and deeper.
The way the HKS exhausts are designed, the sound should not change over time. The HKS exhausts use a material called Advantex that is a single strand fiber packed into the muffler. Most exhausts get louder over time because the fiberglass breaks apart and comes out of the muffler in small pieces. It gets louder over time because there is less and less sound deadening inside. The HKS should not ever do that because the material won't break apart.

I have a friend with the HKS Sport exhaust on his FC RX-7 that he put on about 20 years ago. Sounds the same now as the day he put it on. In fact, I was just discussing that with him this past weekend.
Torry@HKSUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
Joon525 (09-10-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 06:32 AM   #87
blackstripe77

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Interesting, thanks!

Also good to know these exhausts will probably outlive the car.
blackstripe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #88
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Pics of RX-7 please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
FC RX-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:08 PM   #89
Torry@HKSUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Pics of RX-7 please!
It's actually for sale...
http://www.rx7club.com/2nd-generatio...-mint-1100701/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (09-09-2016), Shark_Bait88 (09-09-2016)
Old 09-15-2016, 01:02 AM   #90
Thefear13

Drives: Firestorm FT-86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Im running Tomei UEL headers with the Hi-power.... I love it!!!
Thefear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #91
Jajanken86

Drives: Silver FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Are the mufflers on the carbon spec L slightly larger than the titanium tip spec L? I wanna get the carbon tip one but the weight and sound difference makes the titanium tip spec L more appealing.
Also, I've read a review somewhere that says the carbon tip spec L doesn't drone nowhere near as much as the titanium tip spec L does (as stated in review above). So that added to my curiosity to know the full differences between the two spec L models

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Jajanken86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jajanken86 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-29-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #92
Torry@HKSUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajanken86 View Post
Are the mufflers on the carbon spec L slightly larger than the titanium tip spec L? I wanna get the carbon tip one but the weight and sound difference makes the titanium tip spec L more appealing.
Also, I've read a review somewhere that says the carbon tip spec L doesn't drone nowhere near as much as the titanium tip spec L does (as stated in review above). So that added to my curiosity to know the full differences between the two spec L models

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Both Spec L systems are the same except for the tips. The only sound difference is attributed to how it resonates as it exits the tips. The mufflers are the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Torry@HKSUSA For This Useful Post:
Jajanken86 (11-07-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 02:25 AM   #93
stevo_12v

Drives: Mazda MX-6 Turbo, Toyota GTS86 37J
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
Silencer for HKS Single?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torry@HKSUSA View Post
I believe Lumbajack was referring to the single exit, not single tip. The racing exhaust is a single exit and is significantly louder than the single tip sports exhaust.

Lumbajack, to answer your question, the racing exhaust is pretty loud and does have some drone at highway speeds. This is because it is the straightest and least muffled exhaust HKS makes for the car. So it makes the most power, and is the lightest, but personally I don't know if I'd like it for a daily driver. It does sound good, but it could get old pretty quickly if you're on a road trip.

I drove our 2014 FR-S with the Spec L and carbon tips from here to Pure Tuning (HKS Pro Dealer) a couple months ago (about 2 hour drive). It sounded pretty good the whole way. On the way back, I drove the 2016 car we recently used for the Flash Editor tuning update. It had the racing single exit exhaust on it. I don't think I could have taken it much longer. I was definitely ready to get out after 2 hours of driving lol.
Hey Torry, I've got both exhausts that you mentioned myself; Spec-L and the Single Racing. I had the Single Racing on a week ago, with a re-tune as it was LOUD. I had the workshop put the Spec-L back on with another re-tune for it as it is quieter.

Someone mentioned to me that you can use a 'silencer' with the racing exhaust.(It's also mentioned here on the website: http://www.hksusa.com/fr-s-brz-hi-po...-exit-exhaust/ )

Silencer: http://www.hksusa.com/universal-inne...94mm-hi-power/

Do you know if there's any effect on the POWER on RESPONSE of the car with the silencer installed? Also what is the difference in noise reduction with the silencer vs without? Thanks

Btw, heaps up, the HKS Kansai Service rear underbrace bar (KST014) slightly rubs on one of the flanges on the HKS Single Racing exhaust. Need slightly longer rubber hangar/stays for that.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:20 AM   #94
AbaoKu

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_12v View Post
Hey Torry, I've got both exhausts that you mentioned myself; Spec-L and the Single Racing. I had the Single Racing on a week ago, with a re-tune as it was LOUD. I had the workshop put the Spec-L back on with another re-tune for it as it is quieter.

Someone mentioned to me that you can use a 'silencer' with the racing exhaust.(It's also mentioned here on the website: http://www.hksusa.com/fr-s-brz-hi-po...-exit-exhaust/ )

Silencer: http://www.hksusa.com/universal-inne...94mm-hi-power/

Do you know if there's any effect on the POWER on RESPONSE of the car with the silencer installed? Also what is the difference in noise reduction with the silencer vs without? Thanks

Btw, heaps up, the HKS Kansai Service rear underbrace bar (KST014) slightly rubs on one of the flanges on the HKS Single Racing exhaust. Need slightly longer rubber hangar/stays for that.

Not Torry. But I have been dealing with the Single exit Racing CBE for a little over a year already. I did buy the silencer with the CBE just in case. Installed it and didn't like it. So I took the silencer off and learned to get used to the drone. With the silencer tho, in cabin drone is gone, but you also lose the ability to hear the nice deep low RPM tone and popping sound that CBE alone makes. I then recently installed ACE CS400 header and boy was the drone bad... So I reinstalled the silencer and the noise went back to when I had 2 cats. I had read a few thread from Lexus IS forum that someone dynoed the CBE with silencer on and confirmed there was little to none impact to the performance.

Now I am playing with the idea of going to a shop and weld on a second resonator on my stock FP just so I can take the stupid looking silencer off...
AbaoKu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AbaoKu For This Useful Post:
stevo_12v (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 05:38 AM   #95
stevo_12v

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaoKu View Post
Not Torry. But I have been dealing with the Single exit Racing CBE for a little over a year already. I did buy the silencer with the CBE just in case. Installed it and didn't like it. So I took the silencer off and learned to get used to the drone. With the silencer tho, in cabin drone is gone, but you also lose the ability to hear the nice deep low RPM tone and popping sound that CBE alone makes. I then recently installed ACE CS400 header and boy was the drone bad... So I reinstalled the silencer and the noise went back to when I had 2 cats. I had read a few thread from Lexus IS forum that someone dynoed the CBE with silencer on and confirmed there was little to none impact to the performance.

Now I am playing with the idea of going to a shop and weld on a second resonator on my stock FP just so I can take the stupid looking silencer off...
Thanks man, just the answer I wanted to hear. How does the silencer work?
Do you have any pics of it installed/out of the exhaust system?
Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #96
AbaoKu

Drives:

There is a HSK silencer designed for Hi power only, and you have 2 stock holes that you use to bolt on the exhaust tip. You un bolt the nuts, slid the silencer in, and bolt the tip back, no drill needed. @stevo_12v

Last edited by AbaoKu; 11-29-2016 at 01:58 AM.
stevo_12v (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 02:09 AM   #97
stevo_12v

Garage
Thanks for that! I'm gonna order one now.

Are you able to retain the sliding exhaust tip part of with when used with the silencer?
Old 12-01-2016, 01:35 AM   #98
AbaoKu

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_12v View Post
Thanks for that! I'm gonna order one now.

Are you able to retain the sliding exhaust tip part of with when used with the silencer?
Yup, the silencer will come with two extra bolts that are longer so you can still use the tip.
stevo_12v (12-01-2016)

Tags
exhaust, header, hi-power, hks, legamax