follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
CEL P0018

Ok so yesterday i got a check engine and the code is p0018. Not sure if its a coincidence but i had put my custom intake on that day and 20 mins a cel came up. I decided to put everything back to stock and tonight after driving the code came back up. I have no bogging, no rough idle, car runs perfect for now..Not sure if this issue is related to cam sprocket issue or the update ecu issue but im getting nervous. Taking my car in on tuesday to see what the problem is.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Crankshaft position sensor. I see no reason that a custom intake would cause that.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
brichard0625

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus View Post
Crankshaft position sensor. I see no reason that a custom intake would cause that.
Yea i think it was just coincidence. My car has no issues what so ever as far as drive-ability not sure whats the reason. My car felt so much better with the custom intake it was a shame i had to take it off
Old 10-13-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
jeebus

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT (on order)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
Yea i think it was just coincidence. My car has no issues what so ever as far as drive-ability not sure whats the reason. My car felt so much better with the custom intake it was a shame i had to take it off
Isn't that one of the super common codes lots of peeps are getting related to cam gears?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
jesperswe

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebus View Post
Isn't that one of the super common codes lots of peeps are getting related to cam gears?
Yes, P0018/P0016 and P0017/P0019 are all cam related codes. There are 4 cams hence there are 4 diffrent codes to
jesperswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
brichard0625

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesperswe View Post
Yes, P0018/P0016 and P0017/P0019 are all cam related codes. There are 4 cams hence there are 4 diffrent codes to
Yea here comes the headache. Taking my car in on tuesday hopefully! I bought a new car to avoid issues since my last scion had tons of em. Guess thats why warranty exist. Going to print out the articles of the frs/brz issues and also show them how many other people have had problems because my service center is a little shady and their favorite phrase is "Its normal, we cleared the code and if it happens again bring it back"..so i want to avoid the bs and just guide them on what needs to be repaired!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
zcobrausa

Drives: 2014 White BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2014 BRZ with 22000 miles. I got the CEL and SLI lights. Brought it in to the dealer. He has had it a week and just called saying it has the P00018 code. They tried some stuff swapping throttle position sensors with no luck and are going to swap cam shaft sensors but expect the light to remain. The district rep said some of the early ones had this issue. He asked to keep the car 2 more weeks. He also said the last one they had that they couldn't fix and they swapped cars out. The dealer said it doesn't effect the engine and I could drive it but that they want to get this resolved. I said keep it for now since the cruise doesn't work with the trouble codes up and I do a lot of long distance driving.
zcobrausa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #8
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcobrausa View Post
I have a 2014 BRZ with 22000 miles. I got the CEL and SLI lights. Brought it in to the dealer. He has had it a week and just called saying it has the P00018 code. They tried some stuff swapping throttle position sensors with no luck and are going to swap cam shaft sensors but expect the light to remain. The district rep said some of the early ones had this issue. He asked to keep the car 2 more weeks. He also said the last one they had that they couldn't fix and they swapped cars out. The dealer said it doesn't effect the engine and I could drive it but that they want to get this resolved. I said keep it for now since the cruise doesn't work with the trouble codes up and I do a lot of long distance driving.
I believe it messes with the vvti. My bank 2 was 15 degrees less then the one from bank 1... So I doubt it doesn't do anything to the engine. I know this is old, but Did they fix it? And if so, how?
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #9
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
Yea here comes the headache. Taking my car in on tuesday hopefully! I bought a new car to avoid issues since my last scion had tons of em. Guess thats why warranty exist. Going to print out the articles of the frs/brz issues and also show them how many other people have had problems because my service center is a little shady and their favorite phrase is "Its normal, we cleared the code and if it happens again bring it back"..so i want to avoid the bs and just guide them on what needs to be repaired!
Did you ever fix the issue?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote